The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine who has an Elise blew his engine recently. It makes little sense to me but perhaps you guys can shine some light since i thought these engines were solid.

The car has 17k miles, it is tracked (not a lot i think) and a couple of weeks ago a katana2 supercharger was installed. The dyno said the car was making about 260hp. The car also has a racing oil pan.

He was on a warmup lap at the track, not pushing the car much at all and the engine just stopped.

They still have to open up the engine to see what really happened, but they think it's a valve that dropped.

I'm just surprised since i haven't heard of this much here, especially with only 260HP.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
There are literally 100000 things that could have gone wrong. I'm sure they will discover the issue when it's cracked open. The motor gave up for a reason, you can be sure of that.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
A friend of mine who has an Elise blew his engine recently. It makes little sense to me but perhaps you guys can shine some light since i thought these engines were solid.

The car has 17k miles, it is tracked (not a lot i think) and a couple of weeks ago a katana2 supercharger was installed. The dyno said the car was making about 260hp. The car also has a racing oil pan.

He was on a warmup lap at the track, not pushing the car much at all and the engine just stopped.

They still have to open up the engine to see what really happened, but they think it's a valve that dropped.

I'm just surprised since i haven't heard of this much here, especially with only 260HP.
how long did he have the Katana on without a tune? how long was he tracking before he installed his gpan?

milage on an engine is irrelivent, its really about what kind of miles were logged... & if they are abusive then any engine can be put at risk

lots of variables to why his engine may have seized up

·
Registered
708 Posts
To answer the original question: No.....an engine will not stop for "no reason". It will stop for reasons that you don't know or don't understand.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Can you elaborate on stopped? If it quit running it can be a bunch of things. If it locked up it could have dropped a valve or possibly had an oil pump failure which is a weak point. I am so sorry to hear this!

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Ditto about a lot of variables, but the cam problem on a significant number of 05's and a few 06's has been discussed here extensively.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
If he was running a track without a fuel starve solution he could have got it lean and toasted it. I am a firm believer in fixing the "trilogy of terror" issues before any serious tracking of the car. When there is a "track record" (pun intended) of failures based on 3 common problems, you are rolling the dice when you race and do not resolve the well-known issues first.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Philosophically, does anything happen for a reason? Is it absurd to believe their is meaning?

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
These motors also drop valves like a bad habit.

The stem will break at the keeper groove... Pretty common problem. Nothing you can do about that one other than replace with better parts--- unrelated to fuel and oil starve...

·
Registered
69 Posts

We are friends? Awe bro, lets hug it out. :bow:

*sigh*

I am getting sick of telling this story but lets tell it proper OK?

It was a quiet morning in Northern California, the Jack Rabbits were running around in the whimsical fields of Willows CA. All would soon as Golden Gate Lotus Club prepared to enter the raceway......

First session of the day at a new track for me. I was on lap #3, where I was just starting to add some speed in the straits, still sorting my breaking zones, lines, etc... I was trying a new level of air in the tires as they were cold, so I was waiting for them to come up fully. I exited a double apex hairpin (right hander) into the main strait, I started to open it up a little when I noticed it felt down on power, and I suddenly realized the SC was not running, I was around 7000 rpms when I noticed this (it seemed to be forever through 4rth). I went to brake for entry into my first left hander, when I downshifted the engine stalled between shifts. I hit the start button and it was dead. I had to straiten out my line, scrub more speed, and return so I could coast through this turn, I was able to coast to a pretty safe open area of the track where I could be seen by traffic and corner workers. I signaled a mechanical failure and waited for the tow truck.

While parked I looked at my temp gauge. 226 :eek: Then a few seconds later 227...228... and then it stop climbing. At first I thought I over heated (wtf airbubble?) I have a 3 pass racing radiator so this should not have been the issue. Oh **** I thought, it over heated maybe it just shutdown from heat. I came in and feared I blew the head gasket. We left it cooled and tried to start it, nothing, so I went through the road of pulling plugs to see if we could see excess oil or smell coolant. When we got to the last cylinder the plug did not want to come out. We knew this was going to be bad.

No idea what happened to the spark plug, but we did know it wasn't happy...

We don't think all the coolant was 228+, we believe that since the engine shutdown suddenly the water pump stopped, and it was a false reading.

We also believe it is a dropped valve, as we can fish a magnet down into the engine and grab onto something magnetic... Intake valve? Monday afternoon we are taking the head off and will know more.

how long did he have the Katana on without a tune? how long was he tracking before he installed his gpan?

milage on an engine is irrelivent, its really about what kind of miles were logged... & if they are abusive then any engine can be put at risk

lots of variables to why his engine may have seized up
Katana2 and tune done at same time, we then also dyno and wideband O2'd it to make sure we were on point. It was dead on and a tiny bit rich. Never lean.

Gpan is so 2011, BOE Total Oil Control pan. I never tracked it before putting it on.

Can you elaborate on stopped? If it quit running it can be a bunch of things. If it locked up it could have dropped a valve or possibly had an oil pump failure which is a weak point. I am so sorry to hear this!
It turned off, we think valve drop but will know Monday night.

Lets have a quiet moment for the engine.

Monty Python-The Meaning of Life-Death - YouTube
Thank you sir, and lets have another quiet moment for my wallet.

These motors also drop valves like a bad habit.

The stem will break at the keeper groove... Pretty common problem. Nothing you can do about that one other than replace with better parts--- unrelated to fuel and oil starve...

Diddo

My big thing I think will be is if (most likely) the walls are scored up, do I sleeve it or get a new block?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
The 2ZZ is not at all bulletproof as people believe when they first hear these cars have a "reliable" Toyota drivetrain

·
Registered
69 Posts
Anyone have personal experience starting with one of these BOE blocks? I am unfamiliar with the coating treatment. They claim is is repairable, but where the hell would I ever get it repaired if so few people use it? I also read that sulfur in fuels can eat that type of coating, I do not know the sulfur level of the gas here in California. I know we have lots of stuff cut with up to 15% Ethanal.

BOE Fabrication - Lotus Elise, Exige, and Evora Performance ECM Tuning Products

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
IIRC, i think Westrock might be sporting one in his build.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Just breaks my heart to see anything like that! Best wishes for a cheap recovery. Hope the block is ok! You can usually pick up a slighly used engine/trans combo in the classifieds for about $3000.00 or so.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Repairable, kinda, two choices.. The Nikasil coating is thicker than the MMC coating as I recall, so there may be additional meat to re-hone the bore if needed. There is also the option of having the block re-coated with Nikasil, provided there are no deep dings in the bore itself. Hopefully, just the piston crown, valve and spark plug were damaged.

·
Registered
320 Posts

That is either the result of the worst case of detonation I have ever seen or bits of the broken valve pounded it (or both):eek:

A bit of the electrode could also have melted off and caught under the valve head?

I bought one used V6 Ford engine a few years back and every time the engine ran the electrode would be neatly sheared off the end of one of the sparkplugs by the head of the valve that was buried in the top of that cylinders piston.............

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
To answer your question:

NO

They don't die for no reason.
There is always one of those (probably 10.000) reasons for them to quit their job.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It appears the coating in the BOE short blocks, Nikasil, can be eaten away by sulfur in fuel. I was curious if anyone knew if the gas in the US, primarily in California (where much of it is blended with as high as 15% ethanol) is high sulfur?

BOE Fabrication - Lotus Elise, Exige, and Evora Performance ECM Tuning Products

Nikasil was very popular in the 1990s. It was used by companies such as Audi, BMW, Ferrari, Jaguar Cars and Moto Guzzi in their new engine families. However, the sulfur found in much of the world's low quality gasoline caused some Nikasil cylinders to break down over time, causing costly engine failures.[1]
Taken From:

Nikasil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 - 20 of 50 Posts