The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is a long shot and I will probably get more jokes than advice, but I have hit the jackpot on this forum before, so I may hit it again.

I had aftermarket brake pads and rotors installed about 1k miles (4-5 months ago). I noticed that there was some kind of retaining pin sticking out of my LR brake rotor -- helpful friends here told me it was okay to just pop it back in.

Now, I am experiencing a tinkling sound that seems to be coming from the RR brake area. It sounds like what I remember a broken exhaust hanger sounding like on one of my old cars. When I go over bumps, it makes a tinkling sound like a little metal clip is hanging loose and knocking into something.

Except, here's the catch: at certain times, like when I am stopped (or rolling very slowly to a stop, especially on a hill) and the brakes are warm, I can make it clink over and over again by pulsing the brake pedal. When I start moving again, I can't make it clink by touching the pedal, but it will continue to tinkle by itself over bumps.

I am clueless, but if I had to guess (and judging from what happened to the little pin loose on my other rear caliper -- although that one didn't make any noise), I'd say that the retaining spring that holds the pads in has come loose.

Sooooo, since the demise of HRM, taking this car for service is a HUGE pan, requires crazy amounts of scheduling and time off work, which is not a good idea right now. I would love to fix this myself, but as I noted, I am clueless, and I was always told you don't mess with brakes unless you really know what you're doing. If anybody has advice, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, I will schedule a morning off to go to Farnbacher Loles and pay them hundreds of dollars to take off my wheel and re-seat the pad or whatever, which seems like overkill.

What do you think it is?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Potential solutions:

1) Turn up stereo (unfortunately if you have the factory stereo this will not help)

2) Get an aftermarket exhaust...

OK, seriously...

check to see that the retaining pin on the rear calipers is fully seated... see this thread: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/whats-wrong-my-rear-caliper-72125/

EDIT: LOL, that's your thread! So what's the deal? Are the pins fully seated?

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Okay, this is a long shot and I will probably get more jokes than advice...

Now, I am experiencing a tinkling sound that seems to be coming from the RR brake area.... When I go over bumps, it makes a tinkling sound...

... but it will continue to tinkle by itself over bumps.
The bumps are too large and are scaring the p!ss out of your car :shrug:.

If you are really clueless, I think you should pull the wheel, take some pictures and post 'em.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did they replace the brake pin anti-rattle spring? If not, or if broken, the pads may "tinkle."

Where in CT are you? I'm in Wappingers Falls NY and more familiar with Vipers (upside down Brembo to you) but maybe...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, that is helpful, looks like it's either the pads or the spring.

I will try to jack the car tomorrow and remove the wheel to check. Will post pics if I run into problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts