The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous '17 Evora 400 owner here albeit a brief one. She was the "one that got away" and I should have kept her. Anyway, a Lotus Evora 400 is on my short list of next vehicle, and my question is, how difficult or expen$ive is it to upgrade the head unit? If I bought another Evora 400 it would be my daily driver, so satellite radio is a must for me. Navigation not so much because I use Waze and sometimes Google Maps. But it would be nice to have a head unit that includes Android Auto. Suggestions?
Also, any major differences between the '17 and '18 Evora?

·
Loves to talk
868 Posts
Yes and no. Lots of head unit swap stories here so switching to a double din head of your choice is possible. As for '17 vs 18, the car is virtually identical year to year. The GT has the important updates, not the '18s although every year seems to see improvements in the build process. I'd buy the newest one I could anyway on principle.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
It's a very simple swap and first thing I did when I got my car. I went with this one, https://www.crutchfield.com/S-DR1Xiv4DM5a/p_500INEW977/Alpine-INE-W977HD.html. Lotus offers this upgraded unit when ordering car and if you look at cars available for sale you will see some have it. I got it mainly to have car play, for a little more you can add a satellite tuner but with Spotify or Pandora who uses satellite anymore? Took about 10 minutes to swap

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a very simple swap and first thing I did when I got my car. I went with this one, https://www.crutchfield.com/S-DR1Xiv4DM5a/p_500INEW977/Alpine-INE-W977HD.html. Lotus offers this upgraded unit when ordering car and if you look at cars available for sale you will see some have it. I got it mainly to have car play, for a little more you can add a satellite tuner but with Spotify or Pandora who uses satellite anymore? Took about 10 minutes to swap

Thank you. I would want something like this for Android Auto. As for, "...who uses satellite anymore?", I do (I also read print copies of my local newspaper and the WSJ. Just old school that way. So I would buy the satellite radio tuner. It's not just the music, I like the DJ's as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Print copies of newspaper? What’s that?

Seriously though, the alpine radio that comes from Lotus I believe is sat ready, especially the upgraded/premium radio. You can just go to your local car audio shop and they can add Sirius/xm to the existing radio. I also still use sat radio

If the radio doesn’t have the other options you want any double din radio will fit. If you want the best NAV, consider Kenwood otherwise it’s kinda a crapshoot on what is best. They start around $250 for a cheap deck to $1,600 for the best deck from Kenwood, Alpine or Pioneer. Alpines best deck is what comes standard in the new GT’s as well as the premium radio option in the 2018 400’s.

I actually still prefer CD’s.... crazy old school I know.... streaming from my phone or using sat radio is to compressed for me at times, so if I want to listen to a good recording I bring out the CD’s

·
Registered
66 Posts
Swapping the head unit is extremely simple. Pretty much any double din you like can go in there with tons of options out there. I put in a relatively inexpensive android head unit and it added a ton of functionality like spotify as well as showing boost and temp guages.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts