The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Lotus feels the need to increase MSRP, I feel the need to reduce options.

I selected Lotus Racing Green, Sport Pack, & Touring when I placed my order. My order was in the second batch and I am expecting a December delivery date. Can I change any of my options?

The ~$1000 will cut into my upgrade budget, which was already thin. I understand the MSRP increase and Lotus should understand my need to change the order. I will live if I can't change the order, but I will not be happy about it (or with Lotus).

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I don't have an answer of course... but I am curious as to what you would change in your case.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
aletes said:
If Lotus feels the need to increase MSRP, I feel the need to reduce options.

I selected Lotus Racing Green, Sport Pack, & Touring when I placed my order. My order was in the second batch and I am expecting a December delivery date. Can I change any of my options?

The ~$1000 will cut into my upgrade budget, which was already thin. I understand the MSRP increase and Lotus should understand my need to change the order. I will live if I can't change the order, but I will not be happy about it (or with Lotus).
I don't blame you. Had I known about the price increase before ordering my car, I would have gone with either SY or AR and no touring pack.

Thanks Lotus!

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Me too. That is my car. I was also probably going to get Starshield. I was trying to decide whether or not I could afford the clearbra and now MSRP is up. So I know I can't afford the clearbra, and I should probably shave a bit more cost. Right now I'm thinking about going to Ardent Red.

·
Registered
485 Posts
no you can not change your order once it has been placed. I tried to change mine to sport package and was told NO.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Have a Sept bulid date. Had looked into dropping the touring pack, however the order was locked in July (missed it by a week). So you may be on the edge of a very narrow window.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Randy Chase said:
I don't have an answer of course... but I am curious as to what you would change in your case.
Sport Pack ...

I am interested in purchasing Nitron shocks, a stiffer (adjustable) front sway bar, rims, and stickier tires (that I can swap out as needed). The Sport Pack will end up being somewhat of a duplication of parts. If I change the order, I can start with standard suspension and upgrade the suspension as I get more familiar with the Elise.

I was (am) kind of sold on Lotus suspension tuning magic and thus didn’t want to miss out on a Lotus built and configured Sport Pack.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
hermanslotus said:
If Lotus gives us any further price increase, we all might as well just change the name of the club to Club Vaseline and I'm not kidding.

Mad Mitch:mad:
I thought the first lube we were expecting from Lotus was suppossed to be at 1000 miles, not 1000 dollars :(

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
Randy:
Can I ask for less yellow pigment used in the Saffron paint to save some money?
Of course!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Time for a trip to Vegas :)

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Johnny B said:
Vaseline is what Lotus has used on those who have yet to place their orders with this increase... but sawdust is the best comparison for what they've done to people whose cars are already built or shipped.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hijackers!

·
Registered
154 Posts
um, I don't have the books in front of me, but somewhere in Contract Law I remember that if you are locked into an order, that all items are locked.

i.e. if I can't change my order or get my $ back, then they can't change the price.

I'm pretty sure this is still the law (non-legal opinion from Law student).

I'll check into it, but IMHO, if they increase the price, we should (1) be able to change orders or (2) get our $ back and get out.

Robert

·
Registered
442 Posts
Or better yet, request specific performance of the contract by its terms. The real question is whether your "contract" (order form) says "MSRP" or "$39985" - that would make a world of difference. Check your paperwork, people.

On a related note, does this mean that the invoice price has gone up by a similar amount? (I.e., is this money going to Lotus (US or UK) or the dealers?)

·
Registered
154 Posts
again, changing definitions or terms of a contract (ie MSRP was understood to be 38,500 now 41k) should give full reason for somebody to get out of their contract and get their money back if they so desire.

One party can't change terms unilaterally. Even if they say that MSRP is subject to change and was consented to, that still doesn't mean one party could double the price and force the other party to stay in the contract.

I fully believe (w/o researching this) that one can get out of their K if they desire and get their deposit back.

Luckily enough in texas, I can get out up until I take possession (unless by some reason I order something the dealer can't sell to someone else - unlikely w/ the elise).

But the issue remains (and I think it should be) whether a buyer can now change the order if the car isn't in the middle of production. I think now that lotus has changed price (it changed the definition of MSRP), we should be able to change options. (again unresearched opinion).

RObert

·
Registered
442 Posts
Robert,

I think your hunch is generally right (it seems you took contract law more recently than me, anyway).

I was suggesting that someone who had an order already placed (with a non-refundable deposit) and still wanted the car at the original MSRP might have an alternative to choosing between avoiding the contract or modifying it. I think this is the outcome most would prefer, no?

And a specific price on such paperwork will make the case easy; just MSRP will make the case hard -- even if the buyer would be in the right (because of "misunderstanding," "ambiguity" or "misrepresentation").

Good luck to those stuck in this situation. Hopefully the dealers will convince Lotus to do what's right. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
My paperwork cites MSRP, so I'm sure that I can be asked to pay more if the official MSRP is raised.

It just doesn't seem fair to apply an increase to an order that already has been placed. I should have the right to decide upon my options in the context of what the total price for my car will be. Obviously, Lotus doesn't want this to happen as they would be shooting themselves in the foot with the price increase (as they pretty much are anyway).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts