The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drove an Exige S with a Stage II Exhaust and it was so loud I couldn’t stop laughing – even if I couldn’t hear myself doing so.

I loved the bangs and pops, but in all reality I think the decibel level is probably unlivable.

1) Does the Stage II still crackle and pop on a naturally aspirated Elise, or is it partly a function of the s/c on the Exige?

2) Is it as loud/louder on an Elise?

3) Is there an aftermarket exhaust that will provide me crackles and pops at a lower decibel level than the Stage II?

Thanks.

·
Registered
912 Posts
1) Yes but not as big and loud.

2) Would be the same if the Elise is SC'd

3) No idea, my exhaust scares the crap out of people.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
at first i thought you had a hair and candy problem.....:panic:
sorry, sam

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just drove an Exige S with a Stage II Exhaust and it was so loud I couldn’t stop laughing – even if I couldn’t hear myself doing so.

I loved the bangs and pops, but in all reality I think the decibel level is probably unlivable.

1) Does the Stage II still crackle and pop on a naturally aspirated Elise, or is it partly a function of the s/c on the Exige?

2) Is it as loud/louder on an Elise?

3) Is there an aftermarket exhaust that will provide me crackles and pops at a lower decibel level than the Stage II?

Thanks.
Try the Larini. More civilized, but still means business.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Happy with the pops-n-burbles of the Topspeed Pro1. Don't think it's as loud as a stage 2, but it is louder than stock.
Cheers
Skottoman

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I love my Stage II

Just Do It

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I recommend the 2bular. Nice gurgles after downshifting. Not as loud or drowny as the stage2, but still has that deep mature sound.

With so many cars out there now I would try and get rides from as many cars as possible.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
The gurgles and pops are dependant upon the tune.

The exhaust is either loud enough to let you hear them, or quiet enough so that you don't. So I do not think you can get an exhaust that is as quiet as stock but lets out the gurgle and pop sound like a louder one does.

xtn

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all – as I suspected, everyone likes their choice.

On another note – the police where I live have nothing else to do but pull people over. I’ve managed to get away without a front plate for nearly 4 years, but am I asking for trouble with an ear shattering exhaust?

I just read a few other posts about getting fix-it tickets for their loud exhausts. Fix what? Are the mods we’re talking here about illegal?

I’m in So Cal.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks all – as I suspected, everyone likes their choice.

On another note – the police where I live have nothing else to do but pull people over. I’ve managed to get away without a front plate for nearly 4 years, but am I asking for trouble with an ear shattering exhaust?

I just read a few other posts about getting fix-it tickets for their loud exhausts. Fix what? Are the mods we’re talking here about illegal?

I’m in So Cal.

The stage 2 would be your best bet then. It's not aftermarket. Its a dealer installed so you can tell them to syick the fix it tickt up their a**!

Oh, and I know how you feel about OCSD.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
The stage 2 would be your best bet then. It's not aftermarket. Its a dealer installed so you can tell them to syick the fix it tickt up their a**!

Oh, and I know how you feel about OCSD.
Yeah, but doesn't the Stage II have engraved on it "for off road use only" ?

Granted, the cop isn't going to peak through the rear grill with a flashlight to see the tag on the exhaust, but it won't prevent a fix it ticket if that's what the officer wants to write.

It's an aftermarket exhaust sold by Lotus and installed by a Lotus dealer. It's not a factory option, in the literal sense.

If everything a Lotus dealer sold was defacto street legal, everyone would be driving Cup Cars and 211's.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went for the Stage II – love it, wish I’d done it 4 years ago…

Somewhat disappointedly not getting the explosive bangs and pops I got when I drove the Exige S recently, but that car was idling at 1500rpm and was perhaps out of tune – or in-tune if you want bangs and pops.

The Emission Ticket Omens were out in force (pun intended) yesterday on my way to get the install. Cop parked on my street (never happens), another hiding on the freeway on ramp (they never hide in that spot) and another with sirens blaring right outside the dealer.

I’ll be so pissed if I get a ticket. In Orange County, SoCal, practically everyone has an aftermarket exhaust, including a neighbour with a Borla on his Range Rover and another with one on his 760i.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, the irony!

I have the only Lotus ever to run too smoothly.

I'll drop into the dealer and have them de-tune it a bit...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts