The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Lowtush splitter, I do not want to drill into the front clamshell to install it is there anyway to do this or not??

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Sure! Of course it won't stay on for very long any other way. You could use some epoxy and strip the paint from the bottom so it adheres. Seems easier to do it the right way though. Less breaky things that way.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Duct Tape............Alabama way!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Drill, baby, drill. More than you think. And use lots of big washers. Rivets and/or epoxy are not your friends. Ask me how I know.

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
Using adhesives requires a great deal more preparation and process accuracy than most people are able to accomplish. It may appear easier, but to do it correctly so that a part holds to your shell would be time consuming and difficult, and even then it would do permanent damage to your shell if you wanted to remove.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I used six M6 bolts to put mine on, with giant washers on both sides (above the clam, and below the lip) with nylon locking nuts. I didn't really want to drill into my clam either, but its all under neath where you'll never see it.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
No.

Drilling is easy. The key:

Front wheels on rhino ramps
Use quick clamps or an extra pair of hands
Remove front undertray

It's easy

·
Registered
956 Posts
I installed my splitter several months ago. I drilled 7 holes and used 3 existing bolts for a total of 10 fasteners, each with big fender washers...

HOWEVER

I know this will be frowned upon, but I do believe the splitter could be mounted using urethane rubber adhesive. The stuff I'm referring to is called "Window Weld". It comes in a tube for a caulking gun and is sold at auto parts stores. It's made for gluing in windshields, but a lot of guys use it for filling in engine/transmission mounts. The stuff is strong as hell. In fact we use it for industrial applications at my work.

If you caked on a thick layer of that stuff and clamped it to the (clean) underside of your clam...there's no way it's coming off without ripping off your front end with it.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sure. They installed Marius's with adhesive and it stayed on perfectly.

Well until he hit 90 mph and then it ripped off taking the paint off the clam and he of course had to drive over it and now it is in pieces bouncing down the highway for other cars to swerve and miss

Use the dang bolts, you can't see them anyway

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I used nylon bolts and metal washers. They don't come off unless so etching big hits the splitter. Point was for it to sheer away on impact instead of ripping up the clam.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Sure. They installed Marius's with adhesive and it stayed on perfectly.

Well until he hit 90 mph and then it ripped off taking the paint off the clam and he of course had to drive over it and now it is in pieces bouncing down the highway for other cars to swerve and miss

Use the dang bolts, you can't see them anyway
Good point. Unless you strip the paint before you glue, I guess the bond is only as strong as that of the paint to the clam.

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
I used nylon bolts and metal washers. They don't come off unless so etching big hits the splitter. Point was for it to sheer away on impact instead of ripping up the clam.
I like that idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts