The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Why not? It is 12V and direct to the battery. I would want to fuse and switch the voltage line.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The downside of using the terminals shown, is that they are not switched accessory power, as in they would always be on. For me, I would look at the fusebox on the other access panel and look at the wiring diagram for switched power. That is what I did.

There is a grommet there also to go into the under dash area.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
the other downside on that location is there is probably a lot of noise and it can deliver quite a kick since i don't think its fused, you're probably using some sort of surge protector and a seperate fuse anyway, which applies to the rest of the power pickup points, but if not consider it, since i'm fairly sure its not fused, if your computer develops a fault it'll be a battle between the battery and that wiring, then your computer, guess which will win!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I guess I'll be wiring the computer to that and installing a separate fuse. What do you recommend for a surge protector? Also, my goal is to have the computer turn on when I start up the car and turn off when I turn off the car. The power supply of the computer is designed for cars and will control the start up and shutdown of the computer.

Anything else I should know or be aware of? Also, what do you mean by "switched" power?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
switched power in this case means that it switches off and on when you turn the key., that location is permanently on since its the remote battery charge.

personally i'd tap into the fusebox under the dashboard on the passenger side for fed cars, if you're doing an in cockpit install.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the wiring diagram for the computer, power supply and battery. The manufacturer states that the power supply only be connected directly to the car battery and the the ignition wire will control the whether or not the computer gets power or not.

With that being said, am I ok using those terminals I mentioned in my original post?

Thanks!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i'm reading through the forum here ... any updates on the computer install ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts