The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in the middle of installing my Manly Motor Mount Inserts. In the process, I'm wondering if I really need to reinstall two things. The first looks like a heat shield that surrounds the rear mount. The other is a cylindrical rubber piece held down by a bolt on the rear mount. I noticed that these are not in the installation instructions for the inserts.

Pic added!

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,106 Posts
keep the heat shield: your mounts won't get as spongy from the heat...

ditch the whatchmacallit: I got rid of mine

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the urethane inserts surrounding the original mount bushing, I'd think the combo would be able to tolerate the increased heat. I guess I'll keep it on since it weighs next to nothing.

As far as the donut thing, what the heck is it for? I'm the third owner of the car so I don't know if this used to attach to something. I remove it since it looks functionless right now and I'll save 0.0000001 grams.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
The rubber thing is probably an NVH damper (noise / vibration / harshness). Just a guess.

An NVH damper absorbs a certain frequency / vibration that is either irritating to the occupants or damaging to a structure. It probably isn't in the diagram because it was added after somebody discovered an unwanted resonance and added the damper to quash it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
There are all kinds of things you can remove.

Lotus has packed the car with loads and loads of unnecessary parts.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rubber thing is probably an NVH damper (noise / vibration / harshness). Just a guess.

An NVH damper absorbs a certain frequency / vibration that is either irritating to the occupants or damaging to a structure. It probably isn't in the diagram because it was added after somebody discovered an unwanted resonance and added the damper to quash it.
Interesting. then i guess the NVH is being transmitted through the engine mount. but now with the urethane inserts, the thing is probably useless. either more NVH is being transmitted and/or it is at a different frequency.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts