The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Lotus Evora
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly I had to sell my Evora and all I have left is a Sienna 2011 and 2021 Rav4 prime. Clearly I can’t take a minivan on the track, what about my rav4 prime? I only did one track day before with my Evora and wouldn’t mind trying it again if a rav4 is an appropriate vehicle to learn in. It has 302 horsepower but obviously poor handling. Still worthwhile to try it for a beginner?

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Exige
27 Posts
Probably not. Most track day organizations don't allow "High Center of Gravity" vehicles, and specifically call out SUVs, 4x4s, and minivans.

·
Premium Member
2011 Lotus Evora
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, probably better for my budget not to go. The info page says any street car eligible so maybe I’ll email them although if it isn’t safe maybe I won’t go.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
1,319 Posts
My 2000 RAV4 has a 300 HP 4th gen 3SGTE in it, Koni strut cartridges, BOV, boost controller, etc. It's been sitting since COVID. I need to do something with it.

Reactions: brgelise

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
1,331 Posts
Buy a cheap used car, GUT IT completely and take it to the track if you need to get your fix. Think older Hondas or Mazdas you can get for 4k. Then you cane make up for the low power by stripping it bare.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My wife owns a RAV4 Prime - I highly recommend you do not take it to a track. It's not meant for it, and the weight (4300 lbs) would make it more nerve wracking than fun, let alone the high center of gravity. Your tires would also be tortured.

From what I've learned about the car, you'd also drain the battery quite quickly, and the engine / regen wouldn't be enough to maintain the 300 system hp for long.

·
Premium Member
2011 Lotus Evora
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My wife owns a RAV4 Prime - I highly recommend you do not take it to a track. It's not meant for it, and the weight (4300 lbs) would make it more nerve wracking than fun, let alone the high center of gravity. Your tires would also be tortured.

From what I've learned about the car, you'd also drain the battery quite quickly, and the engine / regen wouldn't be enough to maintain the 300 system hp for long.
Thanks appreciate your advice. I won’t take it to the track then.

·
Registered
2011 Evora S, 2017 BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
195 Posts
Go buy a manual **** box. One of my freinds had to sell his BRZ so now he drives a Honda Fit and takes it to the track. Track time in a Fit is better than no track time at all!

·
Registered
2005 Saffron Yellow Lotus Elise; 2008 Porsche Cayman S Porsche Design Edition 1; 2011 Audi S4 Manual
418 Posts
Maybe you can turn your Sienna into something like this and give some people a run for their money on track... 🤪

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
705 Posts
People are talking about cheap cars for the track, Miata Is Always The Answer. I bought a nice NA8 Miata with full suspension, roll bar, 6 point harnesses etc for $5500 5 years ago. It wasn't a full race car but it was track ready and nice enough to drive on the street. It wasn't fast but it taught me a lot. Next step was going to be forced induction, the car had huge aftermarket support so it can grow with your skills.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Building Car

·
Registered
262 Posts
You might be able to take a Rav4 to the track... but should you? Probably not.

I've tracked a Hummer H2, but the track was flat, and I had 4 other people in it. Brakes weren't up for it, high center of gravity made it hilarious but on a track with any kind of camber would have made it far more terrible.
Also, check with the organizer. Some track orgs might allow a Rav4. Some might not.

Easiest would be a rental car though.

Miatas use to be the best answer, but prices on them have skyrocketed. Better option: old mustang.
They are cheaper than Miatas, the V6s are gutless -- so similar power to weight experience as the miata, and will teach you a lot about how to drive poorly engineered cars. :D

·
Registered
2006 Exige SC K24A
397 Posts
If you're insistent on taking the Rav4 just give point by's the entire way on the straight so nobody is behind you and then learn the corners as you wish then back to point by's on the back side of the track. or, rental. A friend has done it in a convertible ecoboost mustang when his car broke before track day and couldn't get the $10 part in time.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I wouldn't recommend an SUV for a track day. However, the guys at Exotics Racing and now the SpeedVegas tracks were able to hustle a Porsche Cayenne full of passengers around their tracks pretty quickly. They use the Cayenne to show drivers the track layout before jumping into one of their sports/exotic cars for a few laps.

·
Premium Member
9,289 Posts
In a word, yes you can drive it. More fun to drive a slow car fast.......brake fluid is most important. Sometimes you learn more about vehicle dynamics a something that has lower limits...can't be worse than the Civic hatchback, auto at last friday's car control clinic,,,,fast is till I informed the guy I would be using the parking brake to let him expereince overstee:devilish:r!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts