The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that you can't buy an Elise in the states and bring it across the border, but, can LCU "transform" a new US Elise into one that can be sold in canada ?

I'm asking because I'm thinking of a 60th anniversary Elise, and the only one in Canada is a) at Weissach in Vancouver (I'm in Ottawa) and b) my least favorite color combination. However I know that there are yellow and black 60th ann. cars in Boston and along the eastern seaboard, and I'm wondering if I should try and get Scotti or Gentry Lane to get one for me.

They might not be motivated to do it given that they've got their own cars to move. Anyway, I thought I'd ask here first before I lobbied the dealers. .

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I'm asking because I'm thinking of a 60th anniversary Elise, and the only one in Canada is a) at Weissach in Vancouver (I'm in Ottawa) and b) my least favorite color combination. However I know that there are yellow and black 60th ann. cars in Boston and along the eastern seaboard, and I'm wondering if I should try and get Scotti or Gentry Lane to get one for me.
Vancouver's isn't the only 60th in Canada. Gentry Lane just had one in the Fall: black with silver stripes. The owner had traded in an '06 Elise for it. I think you should make a couple phonecalls to GL and JS, as converting it to a Canadian car would be separate VINs on top of mechanical changes, which Lotus wouldn't allow, particularly for a special edition.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I've been in LCU a few times, and I don't see that as something that they would do there. I could be wrong though. It isn't a manufacturing facility. Seems more importation and distribution.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll admit I'm making the (probably naive) assumption that there aren't any major differences between the US and Canadian cars. The ones I know of are (based on what I've skimmed from this forum)

- Different stickers (blilingual of course)
- The clutch/ignition interlock switch.

Neither of which would take very long to change ;) If the cars are rendered canadian at the factory, then I'm surely SOL.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Hi Matt,

If you really want the 60th Anniversary Edition, your only choices are:

-Ask your local dealer if they'd dealer trade with Weissach
-Contact Weissach and see if they have anymore 60th in stock as they had 4 not too long ago
-Go for the Jim Clark Edition which is basically the same vehicle with a different color scheme.

LCU will not convert ANY US Lotus model into a CA model...sorry :shrug:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The problem with "changing" the car, is that the VIN will remain the same. The government officials will go by the VIN, which will identify the car as a US spec car, not a Canadian spec car. The VINs cannot be changed, even by LCU.

Lotus could certify that a car meets the Canadian specs, but I understand that would be in violation of their contract with the Canadian distributer/dealers, so that isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all.

So does the Jim Clark actually have the Track Pack ? I've seen conflicting info: The Gentry Lane web site says yes, the official looking brochure off the Weissach web site just talks about the "sport's pack"

Sport Pack
Lotus Traction Control System (TCS), BS4 T45 steel roll-over hoop and struts, adjustable front anti-roll bar and ProBax sports seats
Weissach's web site says they still have one 60th anniversary in stock.

All the canadian dealers seem to have a Jim Clark in stock or on the way, so at least availability isn't a problem.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the interest of not spreading misinformation: I spoke to Weissach last night: The Jim Clark does come with the track pack, and they have one 60th ann left. Storm Titanium/Red.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts