The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I went with my car for emissions testing and it did not pass the ECU reading part.

So came home tried mine and sure enough I can not connect to my ECU.
1. checked all the fuses (front, in car and engine comp) - ALL GOOD
2. unplugged injector while car running light comes on in dashboard
3. connected the obd and attemped to connect but failed however when I went to erase codes, it erased the code set removing injector connector.
4. car runs fine
5. checked connectors to ECU all plugged
6. everything on car works as it should except for the OBD issue

any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Trying to read the ecu with my bod reader, it, too doesn't read.
I suspect that SOME readers don't work.
Good luck, sam with the dirty Elise....

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My obd used to work on it just fine

So something happened just not sure what! I was hoping Phil would chime in!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had this problem and it turned out to be a bad emissions control module. Got it replaced for free under warranty.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Some readers just will not work, I returned two before I found one that did.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well freakin dealer moved!!!

Stopped by the new location closed on sat! Will try Monday and post results!
Thanks for all the input!:up:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
do you have one of those bluetooth obd adapters/torque app?

If you are able to connect to the OBD port and get ready status on the emissions, call your DMV and tell them you are having troubles reading and the OBD port is fine.

Mention that you heard NYS was having issues and had to manually pass on a by vin basis

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Problems with my testing also.

I'm having similar issues here in CT. I went for my first test 5 weeks ago and failed the OBD II due to 5 "Not ready" codes. I was told to drive the car more, which I have done. 2 days ago I went for a retest and the codes still show not ready. He gave me a reader to use and said to drive more but that the important thing was to make more trips rather than miles. Is there anything else I should consider?

·
Registered
243 Posts
There are 2 ways you might communicate with the ECU. There is CAN (2008+) and K-Line aka ISO 9141-2 (earlier cars). If you have a flashed ECU then depending on who did the job, it is possible it will never pass. I've seen many of the other tunes out there just disable all the smog tests.

Another strategy is to go to Lotus and make sure you have the latest calibration. Post up your current calibration ID you have in your ECU using the obd2 reader and either Phil or I could probably tell you if that's the most current. I know they did do some fixes to faulty OBD2 monitors. Hopefully that could help you to pass.

-Michael

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
The reader I am using is showing ISO 9141. Is that the calibration ID?
I get a ready on the M, F & CC but not ready on the C, EV, O & OV. The testing station said I need a maximum of one, as not ready. Maybe I could ask him to contact DMV or I could try another station? After 6/8 I will be not compliant if I don't pass.

·
Registered
243 Posts
ISO9141 is kline (not CAN) so it means it's a 2007 or earlier ECU. Many code readers will show you the VIN, CALID and CVN numbers. Possibly something like B121E???? or A128E???? depending on if it's an elise or exige. Off memory I think the latest calibrations from Lotus are C121E???? or D128E????.

-Michael

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,310 Posts
Which ODB Reader to use?

So what ODB Readers are people using to see the Service Engine codes on their 05 Elige?

·
Registered
81 Posts
So what ODB Readers are people using to see the Service Engine codes on their 05 Elige?

I'd also like to know which ones work reliably.

I have a Kiwi Wireless dongle that connects to my Iphone and I only got it to work one time. Same device works perfectly on other cars...

·
Wow Such Admin
6,958 Posts
I use this:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Globalebuy-ELM327-Wireless-Scanner-Adapter/dp/B00B3K2X4M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407168788&sr=8-2&keywords=elm327+wifi[/ame]

With the dash command app on the iphone and it works perfect.

Only spent like $25 total!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts