The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello lucky Elise owners. I have been fortunate enough to own several sports cars in my life. I have owned three 914's and parted ways with my last fun car a lightweight 1987 Porsche Carrera 3.2 after 8 years of ownership.

I am old (54) and fat (5' 10", 250 lbs). But, I am active and athletic. I play competitive tennis and am on the courts 3-4 days per week. I test drove an Elise about 5 years ago and was REALLY impressed. I do recall that it was an absolute bitch to get into and out of the car with the roof on--damn!

Are there any bigger fellas that can chime in on long term ingress/egress issues with their Elise? Does it sour the whole experience? Or, is it a non-issue?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Mike

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am 6'0 and 170... So I am not quite your build... But I would say you gotta make that decision for yourself. I have driven short friends who think getting in and out sucks, and larger friends who can pop in and out better that me. You seem to be athletic so getting in and out shouldn't be your biggest problem... I think that will be fitting in the seat comfortably for the length of the drive. The narrow seat digs into the hips of wider folk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Plumber

I am 6' tall, 200lbs and64 years old. I enjoy my 2009 Elise on road trips and several track days a year. I found a utube video that shows the right way to enter and exit a Lotus

·
Registered
831 Posts
Mike, I'm the same height and age as you, and also play competitive tennis (almost 4.0 but for crappy serve). When I bought the Elise I was about 180 and fit fine, but getting in with a roof was a pain. Doable but not as fun as all that. I lost about 20 pounds and must admit getting in and out is a breeze now.

All that to say I seriously doubt you'd like ingress at your current weight. Unless your pants are something like 40 plus you'll fit into the seat, but getting in and out will be a struggle easier without the roof obviously, and if you're athletic you should have no problem, but roof on would be an issue.

I know that some heavier guys have modified the seats if they're too broad in the beam, and one of the big suppliers makes modified seat rails for bigger guys, but none of that really changes the relationship between the wide sill and low roof. If you want to get in and out easily you need to be able to bend your chest to almost be parallel with your leg, and if you have too much around the middle it's not too easy.

That all being said, I know at least one big guy, must be 250, who has owned one for a while and loves it.

The car was designed to be perfect for guys our height, as the relationship between pedals, seat and non adjustable wheel is IMO ideal. But the designers didn't have our robust US butts in mind, I think.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm 6'1" and about 150, so I can't speak directly to your experience, but I wanted to mention that in the uber thread there's a link to a good video about the best way to get in and out of the Elise with the top on. Taking a look at it and following the advice there might help make ingress and egress less of a pain.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Leave the roof off as much as possible. 6-1, 180 here, but don't enjoy the exit/egress with the roof on. A LOT easier to get into a 914! That said, everybody will willingly make some trade offs the place their butt in an Elise

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think the better question is how often do you intend to drive it? I'm 22 years old 5' 11" and 160 pounds. I do not mind getting in and out at all. That being said I the lotus was my dd for two months while I was working on my regular car, and by the end of those two months getting in and out did start to get a little old

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the kind replies.

As I recall, I fit perfectly in the seat and cockpit. It was just the entry and exit that was tough.

Besides the fact that it is literally a race car for the road, I really like the fact that the Elise is exciting at 30 mph, unlike the modern Porsches.

Andy, I picked up tennis 4 years ago this coming April. I am a 4.0. I was fortunate enough to play in the USTA Nationals at Indian Wells my first year. My goal is to be a competitive 4.5 in the next 2 years befor I get too old.

Roger, I want to be you at 72!

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Hardest part is getting in and out.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I'm 5' 10" and 210. At 54 with blown knees and hips I unlatch the soft too to get in and out. Before I tore my left knee a couple Weeks ago it wasn't too bad. BUT, once you're in it is absolutely worth it!

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
5'10", 45 years old and 240 lbs. I drive my Elise daily and every time I get in and out I think "Totally worth it." It's slightly more trouble on a Monday after I've overdone it during the weekend, but practice and not being afraid to look like a dork (I wear bow ties, too late) help a lot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
831 Posts
What an illuminating thread, seeing how many over 50 guys drive these little monsters. Sounds like you're slated for one Mike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm 53yr old 5' 11" around 255# I also played tennis until my right knee went out I have a 07 exige I have no problem getting in and out, plenty of room once you are in, I would not want it as a d driver, but I do look for a reason to drive it
As much as possible. I am very flexible which helps. Go for it and enjoy!

·
Older but getting faster
528 Posts
55 y/o :D

6'0" tall

225 lbs

Laughs as 20 year-olds struggle to get in and out, yet I have no problem at all. :clap:

Its a learned technique. ;)

It is nearly impossible, however, to do so gracefully with the hard top on. rotfl

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
81YO and 175#, total rt knee job.
As you continue to get in and out, it gets easier.
Buy it, enjoy it.
Also may be helpful on the girth.
You ain't THAT old!

·
Premium Member
12,143 Posts
Yoga. Good for all of us.

66 yrs old, but 150 lbs, 5'9".

I make an involuntary noise getting in and out, but then I make those a lot anyway.

Been in seat for 19 hr drives, stopping only for fuel. (My bladder and gas gauge are synchronized....)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Gotcha beat glb. 24 1/2 hours with only stops for gas and bathroom. Northern
Wisconsin to Bonita Springs, Florida. Of coarse I'm "only" 64. 6'1" 188# and very bad back. Getting in and out is a learned behavior, easy once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
65 YO, 200 lbs., not as tall as you at 5'7 but there seems to be plenty of extra seat travel room, play tournament level tennis, "significant" arthritis rt. hip. I rotate my 2008 Elise SC through the fleet as a daily driver for a week at a time. Driven it 1,200 miles down the CA. coast from frisco to the desert and back up I-5.

Took the hard-top off day I got it, only had the soft-top on once when it threatened rain, was able to get in & out. Getting in/out is your yoga class. You figure out your hand-holds in a little while. Only problems have been with the inscrutable alarm system draining battery, it wouldn't be English without electrical issues. Keep it on a battery maintainer if stored for more then a week or two.

I also had a 914 a few decades back and got a Boxster Spyder recently reminiscent of it having the two trunks and the mid-engine. The Porsche is a nice practical sports car and I'm sure it would be a hoot on the track where you could stretch it's legs but the Lotus is fun all the time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mike,

Watch what you call old!!!

I'm 61, and while getting in and out of the Elise is not as easy as most cars, it is doable, and with practice, almost graceful! And very much worth it.

Joe

1 - 20 of 37 Posts