The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
purveyor of lightness
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery?

If it's not too much to ask... can someone pop open their trunk, unwrench their battery, lift 'er out and plop her on a scale?

Here's hoping it's 24+ lbs. so that I'll feel really good about replacing it with the 14.7 lb. Odyssey PC680 sitting on a shelf in my garage...

I'd love to lose 10 lbs. by simply changing out the battery! Gain 1/4 cf trunk space too!

Sorry if you temporarily lose your radio settings and stuff... but I just have to know! ;)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I have a much smaller Black Panther battery sitting here. :) I think it's about 6 pounds and has 300cca.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Randy Chase said:
I have a much smaller Black Panther battery sitting here. :) I think it's about 6 pounds and has 300cca.
The Odyssey was a freebie from the manufacturer so I can't complain - actually I hope that the bloody stock battery is over 29lbs. - like my stock delSol one was!

Let's save "touring pack" weight just by swapping out the battery.... mmmm!!! ;)

C'mon people drive home and rip 'em out!

Pretty please!

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
PC680 is in my M3..either that or a 40+ pound stock type battery. It's more than up to year round real use...just don't leave the headlights on! If you do disharge it, it won't be harmed like a conventional battery and it's low internal resistance allows rapid recharging. For ultra light purposes you can definitely go smaller than this size for the 1.8 motor. Might be a good idea to check the current draw when the car is off though.

Stan

·
purveyor of lightness
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found it!

I noticed the battery model from a page reprint from the 111R manual in the suspension section - did a Google and tada!

Model: Delco 26R-6YR Top Post L/H Neg.
Volts: 12
Res: 80
CCA: 550
L: 8.8
W: 6.8
H: 8.1
Lbs: 29.5
List: $78.47

Therefore replacing it with the 14.7 lb. Odyssey PC680 I have will result in a 12.1 lb. savings... JUST LIKE I THOUGHT!

Woohoo!

Disclaimer: Black Panther and other lightweight battery's mileage may vary... ;)

·
Registered
724 Posts
andykeck said:
Ooooh, this is exciting news. To celebrate, I'm going to go eat twelve pounds of cheesecake. In one sitting.
ah hell eat 20lbs of cheese cake you cant possibly absorb all of it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts