The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I assumed that I had a factory muffler until I heard an unmodified Elise. Now I'm thinking about going back to factory to avoid trouble with the Gestapo. Can somebody ID this muffler?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there not some number or other distinguishing mark somewhere on the body?
It turns out that there is a tag on it:
CLF Muffler
Numbers
For Track Use Only
More Numbers

From a quick search. It sounds like this muffler isn't well built, but I don't see anything visually wrong with the welds at this point.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Could be a stage two that has been run hard and had all of the packing wear away. That would definitely equate to louder than a normal version.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Omg my Janspeed built stage 2 drones like crazy after 2 track days without a cat. It is so loud. But it sounds AWESOME! I have to use ear plugs in my car, so unfortunately it has to go :(

When people talk about broken welds, where do they typically break? I had some nasty resonance recently at 3000 rpm. I pulled the muffler and saw that both support brackets welded from the muffler can to the exhaust tips had fatigued in the heat affected zone just beyond the weld. I welded them back together and it has held fine, but it's only been a week. If it goes again I'll weld it again, but it really is too loud to ride in the car, so maybe I should research other through-diffuser mufflers...

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
Some of the CLFs were good, some were done poorly. You can tell by checking those numbers, though you'll have to research that yourself as I don't recall which ones were good. It came down to one dude who wasn't very good at his job.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a photo through a mirror and was able to decipher most of the numbers:

CLF
MFFLER
121S0002
L0030008
L02/52118/19/05

I actually like the sound of it. At freeway speed I pretty much have to yell to have a conversation, which is the downside. I can't see how it could possibly make sound at Laguna Seca. One of my first track events was at Laguna Seca in 1999 and I was passing everything going up the hill in my mostly-factory 86 Mustang. I was talking to an F355 F1 owner about it and he laughed and asked if I was lifting. I said of course not. He then told me that the sound meter is on that hill and all of the cars I passed have to lift to make sound. Oh!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts