The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I was curious if someone could post a pic of the vacuum pump?
It would help me understand more to have a look than just read.
Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The upper bolt on the vacuum pump is one of the most frustrating items to reach on the car. I made a short Allen key just for it.:huh:

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,309 Posts
Tim Engel's article (from the TurboEsprit files section) has lots of pictures from all different angles. You will be getting it soon...

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lots of Swedish talk here.
lol

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol.
I was dealing-attempting to deal on an S4- for a bit.
This was from someone in canada . Black S4?!!
I offered him $1500.00 less then what he was asking and he turned very ugly.
No-one that ugly deserves to drive a lotus !

·
Registered
252 Posts
Here's a great article on it...

Vacuum pump - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Page 2

The key take-away is to loosen the pulley bolts before removing the belt then take the pulley off for unfettered access to the top bolt.

...I noticed my top bolt was MIA when I changed my cam belt, some Loctite would be a good idea. You'll probably want a cut-down allen wrench to do the final tightening after tensioning the belt.

I wish I had realized my pump was shot while I had it all undone, I wound up reinstalling it and now I have to go back and do it again.

This appears to be the correct replacement on eBay (Cardone 64-1006):

Cardone Industries 64 1006 Vacuum Pump | eBay

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
How loud is the pump supposed to be? I can hear mine when standing beside the car, or with my window down at idle. Are they usually quiet?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,309 Posts
How loud is the pump supposed to be? I can hear mine when standing beside the car, or with my window down at idle. Are they usually quiet?
When new they were quiet. Old, they make that honking sound...it's worse, when it is warm out.

Unless you stick the small filter on the outlet hose. :(

They still work OK when noisy. (At least mine did, had the filter on the outlet for 11 years without issue)

·
Registered
536 Posts
The pump makes a little noise when it's working to evacuate the system, but should become quiet once the system's vacuum is restored. Ideally, the system should hold a vacuum for about 24 hours. In that case, if the car is used regularly, you would rarely hear the pump.

If the system leaks down right away after the engine is switched off, then expect to hear the pump for a short while whenever the engine is started. If that's the case, you should check the entire system for loose connections, cracked hoses, diaphragm leaks, etc... fix any leaks. If the system is 'tight' but still leaks down, it may be the vacuum pump that is in the slow process of failing.

A temporary noisy period after each start-up is annoying (embarrassing for an exotic car to sound like that), but the system should still work once the vacuum is restored and the noise stops. No need to panic, but don't ignore it. Schedule a repair at your convenience.

If the pump makes noise all the time (sounds like a goose with nasal congestion) then there's either a significant leak in the system (a hose is disconnected somewhere / a diaphragm is torn or punctured), or the pump has died. The easy way to tell is to disconnect the vacuum hose from the pump, plug the pump's vacuum port, then start the engine. If the pump is quiet, then the leak is in the system. If the pump honks full time even when it's port is sealed, then the problem is in the pump... replace it.

There are small aftermarket filters available for the rocker cover vents on vintage American V8's... hotrod stuff. K&N makes 'em, along with other companies. Shop around a bit, and you'll find one that fits into the vacuum pump's vent hose. The hose is long to get the vent's exhaust noise far behind your ear. Sticking one of the small filters in the end of the hose acts like a muffler.

Regards,
Tim Engel

·
Registered
536 Posts
The upper bolt on the vacuum pump is one of the most frustrating items to reach on the car. I made a short Allen key just for it.:huh:
My solution is to cut off a 5/8 to 3/4 inch chunk of 8mm Allen wrench, insert it into the cap screw's Allen drive, then slip a GearWrench onto the stub. That provides access to the screw from the side even when the pulley is in place on the pump. And you'll need that kind of access to tighten the bolt when it comes time to tension the belt.

I have two wrenches just for the task. An extra long box end 8mm provides the leverage to break the bolt loose. Then a shorter GearWrench makes short work of removing the bolt.

An Allen wrench with the leg cut short would also allow side access, but you'll be re-positioning the wrench every half turn of the bolt, or less. The GearWrench ratchets, so it's much faster.

Regards,
Tim Engel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts