The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove a new exige and loved it! I have other cars but I'm looking to replace my 'Vette which I use as a daily driver. Can the Exige be used as a daily commute car or is it strictly a weekend warrior?

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Welcome Steven!

Yes, Elise and Exige can be and are daily drivers.

Only you know what trunk space and other capablilities you need in a car.

And of course the Exige is a rocket on the track as well.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Really depends on your situation. Daily driver? Maybe. Only Car? probably not. For me I couldn't daily drive even though weather is nice here year round.

Exige is tougher to drive daily than an elise. Install a backup camera and be ready to scratch your front splitter on everything.

Try searching for threads that contain "daily" in the title, you should find tons of threads. "Daily driver?" threads pop up here about once or twice a week by new members, so newer ones are ignored by many

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
*beating the dead horse*

Personally, I drive my Exige everywhere...except for work related, then its the Frontier for manly stuff...

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would get a cheap POS car as a daily driver...
Have S240 and wouldn't drive it as a daily...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
My Elise is a daily driver with about 28k miles on it. No sweat in 2 years and change. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
If by "daily driver" you mean "commuter from home garage to office garage and back", I'd say the Lotus is fine. If you mean "daily driver" as "only available vehicle", I'd say no.

The three (or four) main arguments against using it as a daily driver are:
1. Fiberglass construction with no bumpers
2. Attracts a lot of attention (i.e. vandalism risk)
3. Lack of storage space
4. Poor performance on snow/ice (relevance depends on region)

#1 and #2 mostly limit where you will be willing to park the car. Things that would scratch, scuff or ding a standard metal-bodied car will crack an Exige's fiberglass. Parallel parking is especially risky. Repairs are very expensive ($1X,XXX for a new clam) and will take your car out of commission for months.

#3 will prove frustrating. Think of how many times per month you carry something with more volume than a carry-on bag or bulkier than a golf bag. These instances will require the use of your passenger seat.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I find it hard not to daily drive my car. Even if I have no reason to go out. I agree with the above, it can be used as a daily driver, but you really want to have a backup vehicle for situations that call for it (unless of course you can get by without a car at all).

·
Registered
807 Posts
i can't speak to the S240 but i drive my S220 everyday ;)

and hey, in light of the recent kentucky derby situation, i'm sure many would agree that beating horses is kind of out of style.

i think other types of sarcastic euphemisms are in order!!

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
No. The stock ECU is programmed so that the car cannot start Monday through Friday. The ECU will 'relearn' and compensate when you change time zones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts