The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Yes, you have a small view "portal" through the rectangular opening just beneath the wing and between the wing struts. It provides just a hint of a view to let you know if someone is behind you.

For a really tight parking lot or other situation, lift up the rear engine hatch so you have a view out the back window, or have a spotter help you navigate, or just plan ahead to avoid tight situations to begin with (my preference).

I have driven my n/a Exige for 12,000 miles over two years without a "rear view" incident....both on the street and on the track. Use your mirrors often, use your turn signals, and you'll be fine.

The side mirrors are quite effective on the street and track as well (assuming they are properly adjusted to maximize rear view angles).

Some Exige drivers...both n/a and S/C cars...get spooked over the compromised rear view, but others adapt and find the lack of a rear view is no big deal.

Many LT members have installed rear view cameras with varying degrees of success...and there plenty of postings about that subject matter.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've had my 06 exige for about... 5 days now.

so far im already accustomed to it! It really isnt to big of a deal as long as you do not have to park in very tight situations!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I turn my driver's mirror slightly inward so I can see over the lip of the rear and see anything directly behind me. I've got multivex on order as well....those will help alot hopefully.

·
Registered
591 Posts
NO

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Multivex Mirrors folks !!!........ You NEED them on an Exige.

·
Registered
8 Posts
rear view out of car

I have a small camera mounted in the car with a view of what is behind me for not backing into posts.
It is excellent on nice days, but rain or night is poor and you have to go back to the mirrors.
But since I drive the car mostly on nice dry days and not much at night it is a good set up- I can see the cops closing in on me

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes, you can see out of the back of the car. The view isn't great, but you get used to it.

If I'm parked in a tight space, I will walk around the back of the car to check for obstacles and take a mental image prior to reversing.

Drive intelligently, use your indicators, don't sit in the overtaking (fast) lane, and you won't have issues with lane changes or with backing up.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Yes i can see .... (not as an elise but still you can see)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I took an exige for a test drive from local dealership a couple weeks ago. The salesman told me "just dont change lanes". Sure enough, after about 3 blocks I had to go into a left turn lane. Looked in the mirrors, no car seen, started to change lanes. The salesman started yelling CAR CAR CAR CAR so I stopped changing, and sure enough was a big black SUV that I think was passing me on the left or something. Scared the piss out of me, wasnt planning on buying just yet.
After that I adjusted the mirrors for more rear view, and paid A LOT more attention without further events.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I took an exige for a test drive from local dealership a couple weeks ago. The salesman told me "just dont change lanes". Sure enough, after about 3 blocks I had to go into a left turn lane. Looked in the mirrors, no car seen, started to change lanes. The salesman started yelling CAR CAR CAR CAR so I stopped changing, and sure enough was a big black SUV that I think was passing me on the left or something. Scared the piss out of me, wasnt planning on buying just yet.
After that I adjusted the mirrors for more rear view, and paid A LOT more attention without further events.
I hate when passengers start giving advice, my mom does that, so obviously I drive WAY more stupider when she does that.

Oh, Just read, test drive!! right right, yeah, I bet deflated all the fun out of the test drive.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
NO+1

·
Registered
61 Posts
The S has even less or better said no view out of the back because of the IC. I got crazy in the first couple of days about that. Now I'm pretty much used to it after I learned to think in 'pictures like a satellite would do'. You have to scan the surrounding mentally so far it's possible and keep as much in mind as possible. The only thing what is really critical is heading back out of a tight parking lot with big SUVs side by side preventing to see anything. I've done this several times and drove right into the traffic, without any idea if there's a car coming or not. I try to drive in the parking lots backwards now whenever possible, so I can drive out without any problems later.

Frank

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I'm either going to start backing into spaces (when possible) or get a backup camera. Its getting kinda rediculous trying to back out of parking spaces with cars moving behind you.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I always back into spaces to park. When changing lanes I accelerate to make sure no one is in the blind spot.

It's really not that bad once you get used to it. Only had someone honk at me once, and that was because they were in my blind spot taking a picture with their cell phone...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts