The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you could in the interest of MPG disable the supercharger.

I thought a pulley with a clutch like used on a AC unit and a switch to turn it of and on. on the highway it is not really needed and turing it off could help mpg.

Ed

·
Vendor
3,281 Posts
There is no clutch on the S/C, but the bypass valve does effectively the same thing. The S/C uses less than 1/3 of a HP when the bypass valve is open under light throttle cruising. Best thing to do with Mileage is keep a light foot and your highway speeds down.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I was wondering if you could in the interest of MPG disable the supercharger.

I thought a pulley with a clutch like used on a AC unit and a switch to turn it of and on. on the highway it is not really needed and turing it off could help mpg.

Ed
Nope you cant do it.

There is really no difference in gas mileage from a N/A Car to a supercharged car. In fact myself, Lord Z & Doghouse all drove from Houston to Dallas (about 4 hours) together and Lord Z's N/A Exige got worse gas mileage than both my and Doghouses Supercharged Exige S's..

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Nope you cant do it.

There is really no difference in gas mileage from a N/A Car to a supercharged car. In fact myself, Lord Z & Doghouse all drove from Houston to Dallas (about 4 hours) together and Lord Z's N/A Exige got worse gas mileage than both my and Doghouses Supercharged Exige S's..

Baloney. Unless there is something wrong with my install. I am getting about 3mpg less around town and more on the highway. And when I am crusing at 100 or so...with the tach above 5K...you can almost watch the gauge go down.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Well my 06 NA got a little over 31mpg on the way back from dallas, the S's were a little more than that since I put .5gals more in after filling up at the same place. Mostly 6th gear 80mph. A little playing around when we got closer to town.

On the way up I filled up between 1 and 2 gallons more than the two Gotham exiges. But I was in 5th during most of that drive up due to windows up and stage2 drone.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Who buys a Lotus thinking of mpg?
It's called the big picture.

A Porsche 911 Turbo is a nice car, but more maintenance cost, more expensive tires, worser gas mileage all comes into play when I was looking for a sports car that would not totally break the bank in the long run.

These are reasons why I considered the S2000 as well.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
About 10 of us did a few 1000 miles from vegas to aspen and back, we all ran out of gas around the same time. If memory serves the 06's had better mileage than the 05's, neil ran out first in the spyder, then the tripoint SC.

The adaptive cam switch of the S's and ronins, helps as well if you're not doing performance driving.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If you are that concerned about fuel you could load a 2nd conservative map. I doubt it would save you that much fuel though.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You have to admit, one of the best perks of the Lotus is how thrifty it is on gas in comparison to other cars of it's type. No, that's not why I bought it, but it doesn't suck (gas, pun intended).

I am easily getting over 30 on the highway, probably 32-33. I average 25, and that is 75% mountain road blasting with no regard for the environment ('07 S). Turning dinosaurs to noise!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
pre s/cer i did about 32-35 , now im at 25-28

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
pre s/cer i did about 32-35 , now im at 25-28
Exactly what I am experiencing. Have you done any high speed cruising over 5k rev range?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Many of us did, including myself. It was a major factor in my decision. In fact it was the gas mileage that pushed me twards the lotus after owning many other very thirsty mid engine cars. -poke-

·
Registered
150 Posts
I did - it's not only an awesome sports/track car it's trivial to maintain and fuel. Name another 4 sec car that even comes close to 30MPG on the highway (other than the Tesla). I'm about as anti gas-guzzler as they come - if we replaced all the SUVs on the road with Lotus's we wouldn't be paying over $4 for a gallon of gas and we even need to import any crude from the middle east... and the road would be much more safe. Everyone who buys a fuel efficient car helps - everyone - whether is a Lotus or a Prius - john.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts