The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to enlarge the holes a carbon fiber splitter. Can I just drill or dremel it or am I going to create a problem for myself? Never messed around with carbon fiber before.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Not a problem.

Jerry

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I'd use the higher speed dremel tool to enlarge holes. Carbon fiber is very strong and not nearly as fragile as fiberglass. Sharp drills and high speed will work much better.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
mask and tight goggles

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
What ace 10 said... You don't want to inhale any of that CF dust, the body can't break it down. Goggles, while inconvenient, are a lot better than having a piece of shrapnel dug out of your eye by an ophthalmologist.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Don't get too paranoid about it, I have cut alot of CF and Carbon/ Kevlar - I kinda like the smell of it actually, Carbon cuts and sands very easily with most high speed bits or sanding drums from Dremel - Be cautious if you use a Rotozip spiral bit as they tend to "Crawl". Treat your project as if you were cutting fiberglass.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
If your doing a lot, then use air powered, as the carbon conducts electricity and can give the motors some grief.

For what your doing the dremel should be fine.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! :up:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts