The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I know this is kind of an odd question but hear me out:

I rented an N/A Evora a little while back and absolutely fell in love with the car. It was just so enjoyable to drive and actually enjoy on the streets. So many other cars have high performance ceilings that it makes it hard to really enjoy them on the road.

While I enjoyed my N/A Evora I think the extra powered offered by an Evora S will suit my driving style and preferences a bit more. However, are those cars just as fun to enjoy on the streets?

The reason why I asked is because I just rented a 718 Cayman base, and you can totally tell that Porsche optimized it for big numbers/good track times at the expense of some real world enjoyment. It's a fast-ish car and it can be fun, but you have to sometimes be driving at dangerous or illegal speeds to really enjoy it. Whereas the N/A Evora was fun at just about any speed.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and input on this!

·
Registered
422 Posts
The S definitely sounds awesome. Thats what I enjoy the most. Its also 'fun at any speed' its just more of an event getting there.

People will say you just need to do a few mods to the NA to get it close to S power. Which is true but even then I bet in the back of your head you will always wishing you had got the S.:)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I enjoy my NA every time I drive it.
In city speed I even prefer the smoothness of the eco mode, and I use Sport when I’m in a hurry.
Never driven the S but I’m sure I can see the benefits of more power, but also more weight, and more things to break.
Bottom line whatever you’ll buy you’ll have a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1991 SE, 2015 VW GTI, 2008 Ford F350, 1972 Chevy C10, 1953 Studebaker Commander, 1949 Ford F1 pickup
13 Posts
The more important question...where are you renting Evoras and Caymans??? 😬

-Eric

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Yes, I have a Ferrari 488 that is crazy fast but when I want to have real fun on the street I take my Evora 400. With mods its over 435 hp and a blast on the streets, what makes it even more fun is being a 6 speed.

·
Premium Member
6,511 Posts
The beauty of the Evora Engine is it doesn't care if its tooling around at 1500rpms or redlining at 7k. Just does its job. Get what you like , yes the S is a bonus for track, but its not remotely a deal breaker as I have had both models.... I upgraded to an S ONLY because I got a ridiculous deal back in 2014.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I rented an N/A Evora a little while back and absolutely fell in love with the car. It was just so enjoyable to drive and actually enjoy on the streets.

The reason why I asked is because I just rented a 718 Cayman base, and you can totally tell that Porsche optimized it for big numbers/good track times at the expense of some real world enjoyment.
The difference you experienced is what Lotus is best at producing. Tactile feedback to the driver. Just like the Porsche, the Evora's performance limits are well beyond street legal speeds, but the Evora is more enjoyable because of the feedback.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I didn't see anyone with an S model comment about whether it is fun on the streets. I'm curious about that. I think the OP was curious if the extra power of the S would feel "unused / unneeded" for normal street driving.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I didn't see anyone with an S model comment about whether it is fun on the streets. I'm curious about that. I think the OP was curious if the extra power of the S would feel "unused / unneeded" for normal street driving.
Mines a daily driver and I use 100% throttle all the time. To be honest, most of the time! I never feel like its too much power. (because its only what, 60hp more than the NA?).

If you dont care for the supercharger whine and bypass valve dumping sound then youre probably better to save the 10K difference and spend it on an exhaust, CAI and reliability mods.

For me I drove both and had to have the S.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Does the NA have the same or shorter gearing than the S? The only thing I wish I could change in the 400 is the gearing. I wish I could shift more. It would also make the car faster.

·
Premium Member
6,511 Posts
In all liklihood, the car is faster than the human. This is not a drag racer and any cars operating in the 4's used to their fullest will quickly get you in trouble on the "street". handling will be 98.5 % similar. That 1.5% being betweena 2010,2011 and an S. By 2012 (correct me if off a year folks), all bushings the same.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I DD an S and it's a blast on the streets... Then again, I have the roads here for it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
While I enjoyed my N/A Evora I think the extra powered offered by an Evora S will suit my driving style and preferences a bit more. However, are those cars just as fun to enjoy on the streets?
@eaglerulez: Other than the power, the driving experience of the Evora and Evora S is nearly identical. There are differences in equipment but they are mostly to manage cooling and power delivery. The "wonderfulness" of the Evora is also found in the Evora S.

(This reminds me of the Jaguar F-types. The bigger engine's grunt and sound are way more entertaining but the six-cylinder is much more balanced and fun to drive.)

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I'm a lotus guy, 2006 Elise, 2009 Elise S, 1990 Esprit, 2012 Evora NA IPS, 2017 Evora 400 IPS, everyone is a joy to cruise is or go flat out when you can!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@eaglerulez: Other than the power, the driving experience of the Evora and Evora S is nearly identical. There are differences in equipment but they are mostly to manage cooling and power delivery. The "wonderfulness" of the Evora is also found in the Evora S.

(This reminds me of the Jaguar F-types. The bigger engine's grunt and sound are way more entertaining but the six-cylinder is much more balanced and fun to drive.)
Great to hear, thanks so much for the feedback!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The more important question...where are you renting Evoras and Caymans??? 😬

-Eric
As mentioned, Turo is the spot :) You can enjoy some really fantastic cars for only a few hundred bucks. It's a great way to experience new vehicles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback here, and good to know that the S keeps the N/A Evora's manners and enjoy-ability on the street.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts