The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: can you remove the black waffle-iron-like mini grilles found all over the car? Eiter to 1) paint them, or 2) to leave the intake holes open on the body?

I'm referring to the front grille, the two side air intakes flanking the front grille, the side intakes behind the doors, etc. I'd like the cleaner look of having open holes w/o the grilles, is this possible or are the integral to the body? Does it leave behind any nasty mounting hardware, or does it look clean w/o them?

Thanks,

Thomas

·
Registered
637 Posts
Lotus were painting them bodycoloured on the 135R. It looks much better that way (so good I even considered.... no, I'm not a hairdresser... *buying one*)

If you removed them I'd guess you'd do two things:

1. make the car look very ugly indeed.
2. cut large lumps of flesh out of anyone you hit (eg. cyclist)

It'd be illegal to do that in the UK. I dunno what the DMV would make of such modifications.

Craigy

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Craigy,
I'd thought about pulling the grilles off (the ones on the top in front) and painting body color. Do you know how well the 135s grilles stood up to time, rain etc.?
Chris

·
Registered
637 Posts
Admittedly I don't know that.

My guess is they will be fine; but I did only see the car in bright sunshine.

Hell, if they crack, repaint'um!

Craigy

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
No offense, but you are NUTS if you remove those black grills. They add immensely to the sexy look of the car!

Ok, it's your car, you can do whatever you want. But you really don't want to do that.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oh, yah?!

I think *you* are nuts if you like them! :p

Seriously, I think that they are too "busy", they detract from the curves of the car. Maybe if they were body-color, they wouldn't bother me so much.

For instance, the black S2 looks great to me, I think because the form of the car isn't cluttered with the grille things.

Thomas

·
Registered
637 Posts
jml1952 said:
No offense, but you are NUTS if you remove those black grills. They add immensely to the sexy look of the car!

Ok, it's your car, you can do whatever you want. But you really don't want to do that.
Sorry mate but in the flesh they look like a kind of off-black colour.

I think they will fade in sunlight to a kind of horrible grey colour.

Craigy

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thomasio said:
Oh, yah?!

I think *you* are nuts if you like them! :p

Seriously, I think that they are too "busy", they detract from the curves of the car. Maybe if they were body-color, they wouldn't bother me so much.

For instance, the black S2 looks great to me, I think because the form of the car isn't cluttered with the grille things.

Thomas
.........exactly what I think having seen both types.

Craigy

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Well, howabout the original question? I also would prefer them body colour. One of the main reasons I didn't like yellow was that it contrasts too much with the grilles. I think the car would look far more integrated with matching grilles. If I remember correctly the rear engine hood grille was glued in with some black gummy stuff. I have hand air-brushed some parts for the first time a couple of months ago and was very pleased with the results. I am seriously thinking of doing them on my Elise when it shows up.
Maybe someone doing a test drive can take a look?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Hmm, I guess I've been brainwashed by the Lotus brochure. I have one on the wall of my cubicle at work and I stare at it a lot. The black on yellow looks really great there.

I'm hoping that Lotus will have a real US spec car at the LA Auto show next January so that I can check out this type of thing in person.

Thanks for the comments. Whether we agree or not, it's helpful to me to hear what others think. I may even change my mind eventually.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I wasn't able to find the link, but I believe that replacement aftermarket grills are available, sort of a mesh treatment IIRC (?) Someone else on this site is probably going to be able to find the ones I'm thinking of....

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Adamant,
The rear lid grilles have a pop rivet type attachment I think> I suspect that's the case with the front grilled, but I can't remember for sure.
Chris

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Adamant,
The rear lid grilles have a pop rivet type attachment I think> I suspect that's the case with the front grilled, but I can't remember for sure.
Chris
Thanks. I suppose I can drill them out. I will wait and see how the Elise looks of course.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The black plastic grills look second rate and cheap. They are the biggest issue I have with the styling. Colored grills would look AMAZING though. I would have to paint them too match. Right now the look of those grills on some of the colors eliminates the color as one of my choices.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts