The Lotus Cars Community banner

This is how I feel about calling the car "Liz"

• I often refer to the car as Liz -- it's the perfect nickname for a perfect car.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I don't mind giving cars nicknames, but Liz doesn't strike me as quite right.

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Cars shouldn't have human nicknames, and Liz in particular is just plain annoying.

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Who gives a rat's ass? If people want to call it Liz, let them call it Liz!

Votes: 23 41.8%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to separate the sane from the insane!

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Jon, I dont know what you're talking about.

Im going to name mine "Charles Norfolk Von Croft the III".

When I post about my car though I'll just refer to it as CNVCIII, for brevity sake of course.

:eek: :p

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,643 Posts
I also like the nickname of "111R", but is the Federal Elise truly a 111R?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Things of beauty are referred to in the feminine in the English language. The nickname “Liz” is simply short for the name "Elise". I guess some people here don't like the name "Liz". I however have nothing against it. The Elise is commonly referred to as "Liz" in England. If the car's official name was for example "Robert 111R" people would often refer to it as a "Bob" or a "Bob 111R". But the official name is “Elise” which in England is shortened to “Liz”.

You can of course call your car whatever you like, but no one will know what you are referring to. To test this theory next tome you see someone named "William" try calling out for "The Flying Blue Comet" and see if "Bill" knows you are referring to him
:)

I sense a lot of Liz haters out there... Perhaps there is a shortage of pretty Lizes in the USA?

PS: No Troll… No Mole… No dam pole will get people to stop calling this car “Liz”.
You might as well have a poll to try to get people to stop calling “William” “Bill” or “Robert” “Bob” … It’s not gonna happen.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But Williams and Roberts are people! They're people!

Listen, maybe I'm just a grouch, but I think giving nicknames to inanimate objects is just plain annoying.

I can remember way back in the mid-90s, some of my fellow technology journalists called the Sega Genesis gaming system the "Gennie." Like nails on chalkboard to me. Surely, Derek, you would find this annoying too, no?

But, hey, live and let live. I ain't no language cop.

(And FWIW, at least CNVCIII sounds bitchin' and bad-ass and high-tech. Why? Because Jen is not calling her car "Chucky"!)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
This might be our dumbest thread to date - and for sure our dumbest poll.

I'm naming mine "Rumpledforeskin"

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Derek said:

You might as well have a poll to try to get people to stop calling “William” “Bill” or “Robert” “Bob” … It’s not gonna happen.
I understand all those nicknames. The one I don't get is how a guy named John, gets called Jack as a nickname. :confused:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Elise is a beautiful name... why the hell would one want to shorten it unless you have speech impediment or come from Essex.

It's also full of hEritagE.

:D

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cerven said:
This might be our dumbest thread to date - and for sure our dumbest poll.

I'm naming mine "Rumpledforeskin"
First, keep your hands on the wheel and off your you-know-what! :D

Second, let's all consider ourselves lucky that the Elise is currently a rather elite, expensive sports car in the big scheme of what average Americans are driving. Because right now, the level of discourse on this board is about as good as it gets for a sports car board, and if my poll represents a low-point, then that's a pretty good sign.

Four-five-six years down the road, when this car has trickled down into the hands of kiddies, you're going to see threads with titles like:

"Has tha Elise ever gottin u ass?"

and

"NE1 try to fit 20s on Elise?"

and

"Why did my car 360 in rain? My Honda nver did dat!"

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
nxm150 said:
Bab, you forgot Dick. Who the hell wants to be called Dick.
Hey! A lot of my friends from school started calling me Dick once they found out that my first name is Richard. It's actually pretty cool. I'd walk into a bar late a some night and a friend would see me and yell, "Hey Dick!" It would get quiet and everyone would trn to watch the fight they thought was about to happen. Fun every time.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Actually, the poll needed another entry.

I don't mind giving cars nicknames if you want to, but "Liz" in particular is just plain annoying.

I can't imagine how "Liz" can be short for "Elise". "Liz" is often short for "Elisabeth", but it's not even part of the word "Elise". :confused:

"Liz" can be short for "Lizzard"... But not for "Elise"... :confused:

Things like S2K for the Honda S2000 is bad enough (but at least understandable), but not "Liz".

You can name YOUR car anything you want, just don't start a trend where ALL Elises are called "Liz". :mad:

"Just say NO to Liz!!" ;)

Tim Mullen

P.S. As for "Jack" being short for "John", I've never understood that. Even worse is my brother, Jack (named for my father, Jack), who spents a lot of his time correcting people that automatically "corrected" his name to "John"...:mad:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Wow. I'd have a hard time thinking of a poll like this! ;)

Liz doesn't work for me. I really like Elise.
When I have a daughter (some day in the distant future), I'm planning of naming her Elise. If I have a boy, well, he's just going have to get use it it! :p

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
you can name him exige:)

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Ok, Ive been thinking about this a great deal and Ive changed my mind.

Ive now decided on Li'l Liz in Chrome Colored Vinyl across my windsheild. I may try and get an airbrushed front license plate with the same.

What do you think?

:p

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
damn! Foiled again.

Maybe I can get " Li'l Lotus" instead. lol

I just looooove those cars that have " Li'l Nasty " and other lovely messages across the top :eek:

uggh!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts