The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
No "Official" word. Unofficially, there's very little chance that Canada will grant the same bumper waivers that the US government is supposedly going to do. At issue is the lack of 2.5mph bumpers. It's very unlikely that the Elise will make it to Canada, but Lotus has indicated that a new, fully compliant Elise will be here in 2-3 years, and I'm sure you could expect that one to be sold in Canada.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh the agony!!!

You'd think as someone with knowledge of engineering, and Transport Canada's often ridiculous decisions, I'd have resigned the hope of the Elise making it here much sooner.

Dammit, I want to tell those [email protected][email protected] that i don't care if a 6.9 km/h crash will cause $xxx.xx amount of damage, just let me drive it and I'll worry about that on my own!

ARGH!!! time to get some fake Michigan plates made up!!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
If anything Canada should have less restrictions, we have more land and one 10th of the population of US, statistactly we have so much more empty spaces to avoid hitting things.

Bumpers? We dont need no stinkin bumpers.

I could drive the Elise so fast and economically I could revoloutionise pizza delivery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Damn right! The problem is in Ottawa...too many people that like to regulate the fun out of life!

Maybe the Elise is "less safe" in collisions with large vehicles, but I'll bet you if you crossed paths with a moose, the Elise could be steered to pass right through its legs, while any other vehicle would be collecting a new hood ornament.

I say let us have it, and we take responsibility for keeping it out of accidents through alert, defensive driving.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I live in MI. Will I be able to take my Elise for an occasional trip up north? What are the laws regarding driving a car in from the US that doesn't meet Canadian requirements?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm pretty sure its no problem, its just a matter of where the car is registered.

So bring it up, drive the balls off it, and look out for moose!

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Or I could make a fortune renting it out to Canadians dying to get their hands on an Elise... Too bad I won't be able to part with it on any sunny days.

·
Registered
609 Posts
New "hearsay" from Toronto

After reading recent updates about the Elise coming to Canada, and even reports of dealers taking deposits, I asked a friend of mine up in Toronto to talk to the local dealer there, Gentry Lane. FWIW, here is what they told him:

----START QUOTE--------

I called Gentry Lane this morning to ask about the Elise. The guy I spoke to said that Lotus does not plan to sell in Canada and in fact are having a difficult time satisfying demand in the US. There are only so many (few hundred?) planned for US export. Canada has additional bumper requirements that may make the Lotus illegal unless modified from the US version. Canada has a 5km/hr min. v.s. US 2.5km/hr min. requirement. Europe has no bumper laws and therefore they had to add a bumper for export to US. If the bumper they put on for US only satisfies the min. 2.5km, then they may never sell into Canada.

The dealer did admit they were taking deposits many months back with only the hope Lotus would export to Canada a year or two later. They have since stopped as this prospect became more and more unlikely.

----END QUOTE--------

Now, I know some of the points above are not exactly right (based on what we think we know) but I consider the writer to be an accurate reporter of information received.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts