The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Elise
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have the gas cap not want to come off after you unlock it?

I went to gas up the Elise this morning and I cannot remove the cap.

I put the key in and turn a quarter turn, remove the key and the cap will not come off.

Anyone know what I could try to get it off?

I'm afraid I will have to destroy the cap to get it off.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,932 Posts
I was never able to get my cap off without the key being in it. Mine wouldn't stay unlocked without the key in it. Sometimes I thought it was unlocked and it wouldn't come off, but I just didn't have the key turned all the way. I thought unlocking was more of a 1/2 a turn instead of a 1/4?

·
Registered
2005 Elise
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was never able to get my cap off without the key being in it. Mine wouldn't stay unlocked without the key in it. Sometimes I thought it was unlocked and it wouldn't come off, but I just didn't have the key turned all the way. I thought unlocking was more of a 1/2 a turn instead of a 1/4?
Odd, I will have to check again when I get home. The cap says to turn it a quarter turn counter-clockwise then turn it back and remove the key then you should be able to take the cap off.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yeah, I've also had to get it off when I forgot the key. Trick is to get your fingers under the edges of the cap, pull up with the force at a slight angle (don't know why but works better than pulling straight up) then rotate. Has to be enough force to prevent it from slipping.

And yes I guess I just told everyone how to steal gas even if the locking cap is on.

Also I've always left the key in to remove.

·
Registered
2005 Elise
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I got the gas cap off. I tried removing the gas cap cover to get a better grip on the gas cap and in doing so I dropped two of the nuts that hold the gas cap cover down the fuel drain hole. Will this present any problem in the sense that there are two nuts floating around now in the under-carriage. I am going to go to Home Depot to see if I can replace the two nuts. It looks like the drain hole goes down the side of the rear clam and the fuel exits near the bottom vent near where the door meets the vent.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Mine is weird also. I always leave the key in mine, but I always have to turn it untll I hear a faint "click." If I simply do a 1/4 turn it won't work. It always has to be just past that point and it clicks. May be something to try on yours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts