The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone please let me know if you have had a problem shifting in reverse.
My car is 2008 Elise with 7,000 miles and have had this problem since it was new a year ago.
9 times out of 10 it does not engage into reverse and it's embarrassing to have to push it out of a parking space in the parking lot at the shopping center.
Flav1http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/images/smilies/mad.gif

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
That is definitely not a "tadts." The good news is you're under warranty and this will certainly be covered. One question: are you lifting up on the reverse lock-out ring before engaging reverse?

Tom

·
Registered
912 Posts
Does it grind very bad when you try? Do you have a problem selecting 1st? Does it slip in fine when the engine is off?

If you answered yes to these, I believe that a clip broke on your pressure plate. I had the same problem 5 weeks ago.

My car would grind while selecting reverse and i had to slam it in. First was the same story except for the grinding. When I turn the engine off everything returned to the way it was before.

The clip on the pressure plate holds the diaphragm to the pressure disk. When depressing the pedal down fully it wasn't disengaging the clutch fully.

Take it to the dealership and have them look into it. While they are replacing the pressure plate and clutch disk, ask if you can upgrade to the motor sport pressure plate and clutch. My dealership allowed me to do so, my opinion of the upgrade is this is how the car should have come from production. Nice and firm how a performance sport car should feel.

At the time i also wanted to upgrade to the motor sport flywheel but was talked out of by the tech. He said you wont feel a difference. After reading SELOC I opted out.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
my car came like that too, it was an adjustment in the shifter, couldn't tell you what it was, since qais my lotus mech fixed it, i believe it was the collar.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
When you lift up on the "lock-out disabler" or whatever you might wanna call it, does it slide back down by itself?

If not, take your shiftknob off, undo the leather boot, lift the outer(silver) "sleeve" part you lift up on to engage reverse,if it comes off, the remaining black tube, with a steel wire connected to it, for the reverse lock-out, has loosened... put a medium amount of superglue on it, refit the silver "sleeve", screw the knob back on.

It could also be that the reverse lock-out release wire has come loose...

Sorry for not knowing the technical terms of any of these parts :p

Let me know if that's your problem, and if my explanation sucks, I'll take pictures.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had the same problem about couple weeks ago. I loosened the shift knob set screw and unscrewed the shift knob one turn, (360 degrees counter clock wise) and everything works as it should.

Brian

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Does it grind very bad when you try? Do you have a problem selecting 1st? Does it slip in fine when the engine is off?
I think your problem was different, but they all do that (sir) if you do this while moving because reverse gear has no synchro

IE - rolling backwards down my driveway, I can't put it in reverse and just get grinding :no: I have to wait until I get to a full stop, then do it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sometimes cannot engage into reverse

I had the same problem about couple weeks ago. I loosened the shift knob set screw and unscrewed the shift knob one turn, (360 degrees counter clock wise) and everything works as it should.

Brian
Thanks Brian - Your solution sounds logical.
I'll try it. Seems like it should be 'clockwise' instead of 'counter clockwise'
flav1

·
Registered
110 Posts
No actually turning the shift knob clockwise tightens the knob and make it go closer to the reverse lever. You want to raise the knob so you have more room between it and the reverse lever so you can pull up further.

Good luck!!
Brian

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Something fell off of my car that caused a similar / same problem...

Some sort of reverse engagement clip fell out, it is (I'm told) at the end of the shifter cable on the engine side... without it reverse is difficult / impossible to engage.

TJ at FVMC could tell you exactly what it is. Sorry I can't be more specific, I haven't looked at it yet.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
This is a bit more descriptive: "[The clip] is where the cable attaches to the shift linkage on the trans for the cross gate. I would not drive like that."

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had the same problem. Somehow, it turned out that my shift lever BENT and consequently, the mechanism inside that slides up and down (to engage reverse) was then unable to slide properly. BTW, the answer is "No, I am not hard on the shifter; I am quite gentle when shifting".

Getting it fixed under warranty next week.
Kev

1 - 13 of 13 Posts