The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its time for an oil change.

The problem is that i cant find the specified oil in the owners manual anywhere!!!

where can I find it?

is there any other oil that i can use instead without invalidating my warranty?

The nearest lotus dealer is 90 miles away.

Any specific oil filter I should buy? i didnt see anything specified in the owners manual.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
You tried Advance Auto/Autozone, right? If they don't have it, they will order it for you. Advance will get me what I need in 1-2 days.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
If you really want to stick with the Havoline 5w-40 synthetic oil, I can either get it and ship it to you or you can call my local distributor and order it from them yourself. I use the Havoline because it is locally available for me (after much prodding with my distributor).

Here is the contact info for them: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f172/havoline-5w-40-synthetic-motor-oil-available-44126/

If you want me to get it for you, just PM me.

Otherwise you can use Mobil 1, Shell Rotella, Castrol Syntec, etc.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
You tried Advance Auto/Autozone, right? If they don't have it, they will order it for you. Advance will get me what I need in 1-2 days.
Advance Auto and Autozone both refused to order the Havoline 5w-40 synthetic oil for me, even when I offered to buy an entire pallet full. :shrug: Hence the above mentioned prodding with Basham Oil.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Advance Auto and Autozone both refused to order the Havoline 5w-40 synthetic oil for me, even when I offered to buy an entire pallet full. :shrug: Hence the above mentioned prodding with Basham Oil.
Well, that's not good. Did they say why? Admittedly, I haven't had them order any for me for about 8 months, so maybe something has changed.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Well, that's not good. Did they say why? Admittedly, I haven't had them order any for me for about 8 months, so maybe something has changed.
It was not an item that they had in their ordering list. Something about needing their corporate headquarters to approve their regional buyer making a special order purchase from Chevron/Texaco/Havoline (whoever it is that is the current owner...) and they just were not willing to do it. That was the case at both Advanced and Autozone. "There's no way for us to even order it for you."

S*cked really because Advanced Auto is a locally owned corporation and I know several of the high middle management personally and they couldn't (wouldn't) do anything for me. I'm just a small fish in a big pond.

I really like Basham Oil. They are a small family owned business, treated me very well, gave me a great price, and are very pleasant to deal with. I'm just going to keep getting it from them until they go out of business. With them I'm a small fish and they like to fish :shrug:.

·
Registered
139 Posts
oil

Don't waste your time trying to fnd the specific oil recommended by Lotus. I used it and my intake cam wore out in 10K miles. The weight suggested is available in Motul, but the hot set-up is Shell synthetic diesel oil (someone help me with the name) that's available at Wal-Mart for about 2 cents a gallon.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i just got 5 quarts castroil 5/40 full syn + a bosch oild filter at autozone for 26 bucks! - so i got another set and will swap out from mobil 1 (which was easy to get in VA but not in socal)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Shell oil

Don't waste your time trying to fnd the specific oil recommended by Lotus. I used it and my intake cam wore out in 10K miles. The weight suggested is available in Motul, but the hot set-up is Shell synthetic diesel oil (someone help me with the name) that's available at Wal-Mart for about 2 cents a gallon.
I just remembered. The Shell oil is called Rotella.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I use Mobil 1 5W40 but Rotella T is just as good - these are probably the two finest 5/40's available. You can find loads of pre and post-use oil analyses for high end 5W40 synthetic that meets the VW 502 spec here. The VW spec is relevant because it's very strict (diesels and turbos are very hard on oil) and oil vaporization (relevant for those with a SC Lotus) must be very low to make the grade.... there are many oils that meet the spec but the cheaper one's typically don't have as robust of an additive package.

TDI FAQ

Seach the forums for oil analysis - TDI geeks are the oil snobs of the automotive world...
john.

·
Registered
262 Posts
its time for an oil change.

The problem is that i cant find the specified oil in the owners manual anywhere!!!

where can I find it?

is there any other oil that i can use instead without invalidating my warranty?

The nearest lotus dealer is 90 miles away.

Any specific oil filter I should buy? i didnt see anything specified in the owners manual.
I bought mine at the Napa auto in North Sacramento. They have several different brand of 5w40 synthetics, including Royal Purple and Valvoline.
I recently bought Valvoline Synpower for $6.29/qt, total $33.89 w tax for 5qt. I got the Toyota oil filter (90915-YZZF1) from local Toyota dealership for $4.95. If this is your first oil change, consider getting the Fumoto valve and 1/4 turn screws. It'll make your next oil change so easy. Rhinoramp is must. Jack and Rear Jack helper will make placing Elise on the ramp very easy.

Only this NAPA store has 5w40s so don't waste your time visiting other NAPA stores in Sacramento. Store is near Frys electronic.

NAPA auto parts
4635 Northgate Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95834
Tel: (916) 564-0290

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought mine at the Napa auto in North Sacramento. They have several different brand of 5w40 synthetics, including Royal Purple and Valvoline.
I recently bought Valvoline Synpower for $6.29/qt, total $33.89 w tax for 5qt. I got the Toyota oil filter (90915-YZZF1) from local Toyota dealership for $4.95. If this is your first oil change, consider getting the Fumoto valve and 1/4 turn screws. It'll make your next oil change so easy. Rhinoramp is must. Jack and Rear Jack helper will make placing Elise on the ramp very easy.

Only this NAPA store has 5w40s so don't waste your time visiting other NAPA stores in Sacramento. Store is near Frys electronic.

NAPA auto parts
4635 Northgate Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95834
Tel: (916) 564-0290
wow! so very helpful! thank you! dude your in sac??? we gotta cruz sometime man!!! im like 10 mintues away from that napa store.

btw this oil change will be for the 1k service... Do i have to let lotus do the oil change? is it part of the ecu dump? or can i do the ecu dump by lotus and then have my buddy change the oil for me?
once again thank you!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
a lurker comes out of hinding to say a few words.........

please google "ZDDP" you will pull up some articles regarding the reduction in this antiwear additive from 1300 ppm (the old SM formula) to 800 ppm in current SL oil, 3-4 yrs ago.

in my opinion hi revving hi load motors should be run on SM formulated oil. Mobil 0w40 has 1000 ppm ZDDP and 15w50 has 1300. All other gas engine automotive mobil 1 oils are SL=800 ppm. Most all of mainstream oil maufacturers are producing SL oils.

I called redline last year when i became aware of the issue - they maintain SM levels of additives in their oils. There may be other smaller manufacturers that have not complied with the SL madate as well....motul, swepco or amsoil EG.

oil is the lifeblood of a motor. please read and evaluate the ZDDP issue for youself.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
please google "ZDDP" you will pull up some articles regarding the reduction in this antiwear additive from 1300 ppm (the old SM formula) to 800 ppm in current SL oil, 3-4 yrs ago.

in my opinion hi revving hi load motors should be run on SM formulated oil. Mobil 0w40 has 1000 ppm ZDDP and 15w50 has 1300. All other gas engine automotive Mobil 1 oils are SL=800 ppm. Most all of mainstream oil manufacturers are producing SL oils.
One problem is that Lotus is pretty adamant about the need for 5W40 oil and 0W40 doesn't fit that category.

However, Mobil 1 5W40 Turbo Diesel oil is the proper viscosity, and it still has the ZDDP in it - it's a SM rated oil and the additives have been left in that oil as it is intended for diesels that "need" the additive (but it's fine for use in a gasoline engine).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts