The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i put a set of RA1s on the car this weekend, I discovered a rear tire seemed to have swallowed 2 utility knife blades. It's time to replace the AD07s now, i tell ya what.

Looking at getting RS2s for the Elise. Plan is the 215/45/16 and 245/40/17 combo.

I'm pretty sure the 245s will fit from what i'm seeing people say. Do I need a spacer? I was running a small one (couple mm) with the 245 RA1s.

I'm not seeing ANY answers on the 215s, but lots of people asked w/o answers... Has anyone run these? Do they rub at lock?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Im running 225/45/15's up front with zero rubbing..

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've run 225/50-15's up front w/ crazy rubbing (inside and out) .... just a data point for ya ;)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eeek. Wish you'd mentioned that at Tacos! :p

My brother still hasn't put the order in, and it's looking like they may be discontinued, so this might all be a moot point and i'll be stuck with 205s anyhow, but i really wanna try the 215s.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I've run 225/50-15's up front w/ crazy rubbing (inside and out) .... just a data point for ya ;)
Next time try 225/45/15... The shorter tire should help prevent rubbing.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just bumping this in case anyone else ever wonders; the Hankook RS2 215 wide fits w/o rubbing on stock LSS wheels.

Not a ton of fender clearance, but haven't rubbed yet.

With the 245s in back now the wheelwells look pretty full!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
perfect timing... my car has the LSS package. yeah, 245/40r17 should fit just fine, that's what i run. i tried 245/45r17 and they fit fine on one side and rubbed on the inner edge of the tire on the inside fender liner on the other.

205/50r16 rubs a little on tight turns with heavy suspension compression on the inner liners toward the front... it's on the face of the tire that it rubs due to diameter... no rubbing if just rolling on flat ground at full lock. 225/50r16 should rub like crazy based on what i see.

anyway, perfect timing becuase i'm thinking about a 15/16 rim set with et 25. Would 225's rub up front on those? I'd probably put the Toyo Proxy T1-r's 225/50r15 becuase i need hydroplaning resistence.... theoritically it should be a little smaller diameter than 205/50r16 i have now... if it rubs would it be rubbing on the body itself? I believe my car is in it's stock ride position but it does look a little lower than average to me... but i got it with 4500 miles on it... it was a press car so it could have been lowered? I'm actually considering raising it to one higher position on the spring perches. Here's a picture for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Your gonna need 45s if you want to prevent the rubbing. Doesnt matter with 15 or 16s up front... 50 is just too tall.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm running RT615's in 215/45/16 on the front with 7J +35mm offset with no issues other than a tiny bit of rubbing on the inner plastic liner at full lock, just off full lock it immediately stops rubbing.
X2 same here.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
RT,

if 225/45r16's fit (several people saying they fit here) then with the same offset a 225/50r15 should fit...

is the crazy rubbing from the lower offset... and rubbing is on the body?

to the other poster, you can't just say a 50 series tire is too tall.. depends on the rim diameter and section width... to be close to stock diameter and section width with smaller rims you'd need a 195/55r15 or maybe 205/55r15

PS, does my car look standard height for a LSS car?... or does it look like they might have already dropped it to the lower setting before i got it?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Sure these look great.

But whats the performance benifits>?

More rotational mass i think might outweight the minimal traction benefits.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
well, that depends on the kinds of tires you're planning on using... i for example use high performance summer or even high performance all season tires with lots of tread voids to prevent hydroplaning (it's my DD) ... so ever bit of extra rubber helps with traction since i'm not using competition tires...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts