The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK Sunday at the track my driver rear two Suspenstion bolts snapped. Lucky I had a controlled spin as the Suspension dropped with out hitting anything. I was able to drive off track and took a tow into pits. As I jacked rear up to see what happened the suspension dropped where the upper bolts had snapped off and my drive shaft had pulled out partial

Ok got new parts and spent last 4 hours attempting to get shaft back in with no luck. I have done this before without a problem.

Looking close at the groves on the axle shaft it looks like the shaft twisted and the groves don't match between groves on one side of C pin and other Side of C pin. or is this the way it is supposed to be?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump added photo above

·
Registered
653 Posts
You gotta use the force.. Most of the time they are a bit rusty.. Big pry bar and a hammer.. Hit the axe to seperate from the transion.. If it doesn't come right off turn the axle half a revolution.. Hit it with the big pair you have over in those steps and the shaft will come out.. No here will tell you it's easy.. There's always one side that is a b..ch

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have shaft out but attempting to get back in. Spline groves seem twisted in picture?

·
Registered
605 Posts
OK Sunday at the track my driver rear two Suspenstion bolts snapped. Lucky I had a controlled spin as the Suspension dropped with out hitting anything. I was able to drive off track and took a tow into pits. As I jacked rear up to see what happened the suspension dropped where the upper bolts had snapped off and my drive shaft had pulled out partial

Ok got new parts and spent last 4 hours attempting to get shaft back in with no luck. I have done this before without a problem.

Looking close at the groves on the axle shaft it looks like the shaft twisted and the groves don't match between groves on one side of C pin and other Side of C pin. or is this the way it is supposed to be?
It looks to me that you have twisted the driveshaft and will need a replacement. If you leave off the circlip and have a trial fitting it should simply seat to place with very little effort. If not the don't force it or you may damage the diff.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Yeah looks twisted. I did that to the rear of my mitsu. Try Raxles.com they should be able to help out. Jim Clayton used them in the past

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
846 Posts
That axle is shot.
I have this shaft left over from my gearbox conversion, PM me if interested.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well looks like I am in the market for a rear driver side axle asm. Ideally like to get whole asm with wheel hup and hub carrier the way I have it off now. Please pm me if you have one, I located north of Detroit (lake Orion MI)

Been a crazy day as I have a two day track day event this weekend sept 8-9 and took a vacation day pulling my hair with this axle. Sector 111 was amazing getting some suspention parts sent out to me to be ready for the weekend but this now put me over the edge on time / parts to be ready for the weekend :(

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you try inserting with out the retaining ring?
Yep, took C clip out and only goes is first part of groves. Looks like I need a new axle. Thanks for the idea to check without C clip.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Well looks like I am in the market for a rear driver side axle asm. Ideally like to get whole asm with wheel hup and hub carrier the way I have it off now. Please pm me if you have one, I located north of Detroit (lake Orion MI)

Been a crazy day as I have a two day track day event this weekend sept 8-9 and took a vacation day pulling my hair with this axle. Sector 111 was amazing getting some suspention parts sent out to me to be ready for the weekend but this now put me over the edge on time / parts to be ready for the weend :(
I think you need just the left side axle which I have, please post pics of the parts you need. I don't know what you mean by "assembly".

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you need just the left side axle which I have, please post pics of the parts you need. I don't know what you mean by "assembly".
Here is a better picture. I need whole inner And outer CVs and shaft or just the inner shaft. Anyone know how to take apart the CV to just get at shaft part I really only need?

·
Registered
583 Posts
stop calling it a shaft would help (the shaft is the bar in-between the joints)

the bit you want is a tripod joint (as opposed to the outer one which is a CV joint).

Mike (Apex_in_sno) has what you need, or just buy a new one from Toyota.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you! Sorry on the wrong name, I learn something new everyday. Mike sounds like you have the part I need (inner tripod joint)

Can anyone advise how to remove the tripod?

Alan

·
Registered
846 Posts
OK, now we're talking.
As Simon's noted we're just needing the tripod here.

Working on the driveshaft isn't hard, it's just very very messy, so if you want to impress the wife/gf be sure to do this work on the kitchen table. rotfl

The tripod is held on the shaft by a circlip on the end of the shaft.
You need to remove the boot, pull the outer tripod shell off the shaft, remove the circlip, then the inner tripod bearing carrier.

You "may" be able to reuse the existing boot clamps.

You will need to remove and re-use the retaining clip on you're existing tripod.
I would also replace the shaft seal on the transmission as well, you don't want to find out it leaks after putting this all back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, now we're talking.
As Simon's noted we're just needing the tripod here.

Working on the driveshaft isn't hard, it's just very very messy, so if you want to impress the wife/gf be sure to do this work on the kitchen table. rotfl

The tripod is held on the shaft by a circlip on the end of the shaft.
You need to remove the boot, pull the outer tripod shell off the shaft, remove the circlip, then the inner tripod bearing carrier.

You "may" be able to reuse the existing boot clamps.

You will need to remove and re-use the retaining clip on you're existing tripod.
I would also replace the shaft seal on the transmission as well, you don't want to find out it leaks after putting this all back together.
Perfect please pm me a price and I can send pay pal or if you like a check

I will let the wife know to get the Kitchen table ready for me rotfl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts