The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my vf 2 install and the car wont start. I did the fuel pump first then got the car to start before I installed the supercharger. Now it wont start

I've checked the fuses, inertia switch, the maf sensor is vertical, and yes it does have gas.

It turns over but wont start. The fuel pump does activate for about 2 seconds when I turn the car as it should. The only thing left I can think of is it's not getting spark. I'm going to check that this evening. Any feedback would help. Thanks

·
Registered
846 Posts
I just finished my vf 2 install and the car wont start. I did the fuel pump first then got the car to start before I installed the supercharger. Now it wont start

I've checked the fuses, inertia switch, the maf sensor is vertical, and yes it does have gas.

It turns over but wont start. The fuel pump does activate for about 2 seconds when I turn the car as it should. The only thing left I can think of is it's not getting spark. I'm going to check that this evening. Any feedback would help. Thanks
yea, check the plugs, if they're all wet, then there isn't any spark, it they are all dry, then no fuel.

Did you get the ecu flashed?, have you called Charlie?

Believe it or not, my ECU came back from CX, and it was brain dead, after I sent it back to him for re-flash (second time) he said that there wasn't anything there, like the flash leaked out on the way to me the first time.
After getting it back the second time all was good, car started right up.
I however wasn't even getting the two seconds of fuel pump with ignition turn on.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If the ECU does not see a rpm signal when cranking it will have no spark and no injector pulse. Check to see if you plugged the crankshaft position sensor back in.

Dan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where exactly is the crank sensor located? I unplugged a lot of things a was almost certain I plugged them all back in.

I pulled the injectors, and they were quite dirty, and smelt like gas. So I lightly sanded the tips to remove any debris. Once I reinstalled them it almost started, and I held my breath but then it just kept cranking over like before.

·
Registered
331 Posts
This is why I went with the Lotus Sport factory supercharger kit/dealer install. The transition was seemless.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow thanks that totally helped with my dilemma. Thanks for that. I would do it your way but I take pride in my ride. I don't run it to the dealership every time it has a hiccup.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Get a 12v led ( radio shack)

Poke the led wires into the injector connector.

The light will flicker ( while cranking ) if your getting signal/voltage to the injectors.

I think you can do the same thing with the coil pack connection.

or for spark check, pull coil pak and hold close to ground while looking for spark / arcing

·
Registered
70 Posts
I came across this thread because I'm having the same issue as OP, although I have no supercharger or tune. I only had some head work done and after installing the head is where my problem starts.

Everything has gone back together fine, but I'm getting no injector pulse. The fuel pump primes, plenty of fuel is getting to the injector, but all the car does is turn over and not start. Here is a specific list of what's going on:

No injector pulse
Fuel pump is pushing fuel
I have spark
Crank sensor is plugged in
No blown fuses
Noid light does not light when starting

As a side note, and not sure if this could be the problem, my immobilizer does turn off the security light when I get in the car, but when I turn the key, there used to be a few beeps once I get into the 2 position for the key. There are now no beeps.

Also note, the interior, seats, and boot lid are still out of the car if that helps whatsoever.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Recheck the plugs on the ECU.
Re check all the plugs on the engine.
Did you include the exact model of the car?
There are minor but important changes between years.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok so I actually did get to the car today.

All grounds are ok.
Mad sensor is ok.
Tested the crank sensor and it is working
Tested can sensor and working
Plenty of spark
Compression is good
Injectors tested and work (not in the car)
Fuel pressure is good.
I bypassed immobilizer and still no start

Now what's not working is I'm not getting injector pulse and the rpm doesn't even bump when cranking. Also, I plugged up some diagnostics and everything was the except fuel delivery which had a ? Next to it.

All of this is starting to make me think that somehow it needs an ecu? The car had no battery for about 2 weeks.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Based on that list:

If you have crank and cam signal it will try to start. Just that simple. Then you just need power to the coils, injectors, and fuel pump.

Check your engine bay fuses (again :)). The green wires to the coils and injectors are hot 100% of the time when the key is on. Check to be sure that's the case.

Check that you didn't accidentally unplug the MFRP while working in there..

There's a ground wire on the left side of the head. Real important.

Not likely that it's the ECU....

-Phil

·
Sold my Exige S
930 Posts
Since your injectors are good, no injector pulse points to a loose or dirty connection at the MFRU as some here discovered. Spray electrical cleaner on the pins and ensure they're snug. Also, ECUs don't lose their tunes if the battery is removed.

You said the grounds are good, but just double check this guy on the OCV as Phil mentions. If it's loose, the engine cranks but never starts!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Sorry for the Noob question...but what is the MFRU stand for? Going to be taking my engine apart this summer to try to get my turbo build done, and don't want to waste time later when I can get answers now. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts