The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get my first oil change done and cant seem to get this stinking drain plug off to save my life. It just wont budge. I just have a socket wrench and have been busting some neck vains trying to get it off, is there some secret, or am I an idiot and turning it the wrong way? Here is how I'm turning it...

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Don't know if you're an idiot.

Right bolt, right direction... try some WD40, and a wrench you can get more leverage on.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
You are doing everything right, however the person that put that plug back in must have over torqued it.:( The best thing I can recommend is getting a 6 point socket on it and use a hammer on the handle of the socket wrench to shock it loose or put a pipe over the handle to get more leverage. Be really careful not to injure yourself if the handle tries to kick back and make sure the socket doesn't slip off the drain plug and you are holding onto everything firmly. There is also the possibility of shattering the socket or breaking off the ratchet handle so be very careful and wear heavy gloves and safety glasses I really hate it when people over tighten things---why do they think a drain plug has to be that tight?:shrug: :mad:

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I almost killed myself once when an improperly sized breaker bar slipped off the ratchet handle and the handle flung back into my forehead! ow owow!
Be sure to replace the gasket as the old one is no doubt a bit mashed.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yeah don't feel bad. I had the same problem back in December when I tried to get mine off for the first time. Luckily I changed it out for a Fumoto so I won't have to hassle with it again.

·
Registered
526 Posts
This is the reason people came up with torque specifications. rotfl

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
am I an idiot and turning it the wrong way?
madden,
your not an idiot, but the guy who worked at the place who charged $300 for an oil change is an idiot.
when you want things done right, do it yourself.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Considering how tight that bolt is, be sure to inspect the threads for any damage and replace if suspect.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,682 Posts
I almost killed myself once when an improperly sized breaker bar slipped off the ratchet handle and the handle flung back into my forehead!

That explains a lot. :D-poke-:D

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Yeah don't feel bad. I had the same problem back in December when I tried to get mine off for the first time. Luckily I changed it out for a Fumoto so I won't have to hassle with it again.
+1 FUMOTO ENGINEERING

No more hot oil on fingers etc. Can easily remove some oil if it's overfilled.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Oil pan drain plug should be torqued to 27 ft-lbs.

6-point sockets are safer and put less wear on bolts that 12-point.

I learned the hard way that it's better to pull on a wrench than to push. It was a long time ago. I was adjusting the valves on a VW and one of the locking nuts was really tight. I pushed on the wrench with an open hand. My fingers were touching the body so I figured it would be safe. The nut broke loose and my fingers bent backwards far enough that my wrist hit one of the valve adjuster screws. It was so painful I felt like I was about to pass out. It didn't break the skin but left a large welt.

Several hours later, I was sitting in a movie theater. I sneezed. I caught it with a hankee. I noticed my hand was wet... crap... a "messy" sneeze. Then I looked down and saw a puddle of blood on the floor and blood spurting from my wrist. Apparently I ruptured an artery and it took several hours for it to build enough pressure to rupture the skin.

I got some strange looks as I was leaving the theater... blood on my pants... a blood soaked hankerchief wrapped around my wrist, and blood dripping from my fingers...

·
Registered
886 Posts
drain plug removal

I'm trying to get my first oil change done and cant seem to get this stinking drain plug off to save my life. It just wont budge. I just have a socket wrench and have been busting some neck vains trying to get it off, is there some secret, or am I an idiot and turning it the wrong way? Here is how I'm turning it...

I hand tighten forcefully when putting the drain plug back. I always use a rubber mallet on the socket wrench to remove. Much easier. I'm not as strong as I used to be.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Twenty-seven lbft is not much. Unless you're my five year old son, I would suggest that "forcefully" is too much. If you need a mallet to get it out, you're tightening it too much!

The goal is to just compress the gasket a bit, that's all.

xtn

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Twenty-seven lbft is not much. Unless you're my five year old son, I would suggest that "forcefully" is too much. If you need a mallet to get it out, you're tightening it too much!

The goal is to just compress the gasket a bit, that's all.

xtn
27 lbs is nothing.
i need to torque a few bolts on my FF to 25 ft lbs, and i am amzed when i use the TW at how little it is.
i would take a 3/8 ratchet with a 6 point socket(12 point do suck), and hold the ratchet right at the center point with my fist, not at the end, get it just snug, and then go 1/4 turn still holding the ratchet at the center point, not on the handle at the end.
if you are really worried about it coming off,safety wire the bolt. thats easy to do also if you have a drill and a small bit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts