The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after searching for 3 years for a hatch mounted V8 spoiler, Guy finally got a fire damaged car that I could get a spoiler from! I mounted her today, quite straight forward actually, but have yet to paint it. That is planned for this weekend. Possibly the wheel arch extensions as well......But don't get your hopes up. Here is what she looked like before. This was the standard SE spoiler that I molded a 3 inch section and glassed it in.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And after today! I even pulled the wiring through the hatch and ran it to the new third brake light, which I never had before. Works great and looks so much better to me!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looks nice! Don't worry, after the 5 th time you hit your head on the pointy ends of the wing, you'll remember...... ;)

GTED

·
Wingless Wonder
5,414 Posts
..., after the 5 th time you hit your head on the pointy ends of the wing, you'll remember...... ;)
Remember WHAT again????? :panic:

I suggest getting a pair of Ladder Mitts and keeping them in the rear trunk:

rotfl

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
O.K. This is my 'personal opinion'

If you want to put a spoiler on the back of your car it is of your descretion. Personally I feel it turns it into a Japanese 'want to be'. Spoilers for those who do not know the engineering of Colin Chapman were designed to create 'down force' on Grand Prix cars traveling at speeds of close to 200 miles per hour.

A really inovative concept back in the day and it should have stayed there. Now everyone thinks it's cool to put a spoiler on your car to make it look hot and fast. Our cars look fast just sitting still so these 'wings' mean nothing to me. The cars were penned by the finest in the industry so why did this have to happen such a fine work of art?

Were not driving 150 mph every day so why add this weight to try and make the car' look cool' It's cool all by itself without these stupd 'additions'

Robert

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ladies and gents, we have a purist here. It is fine to express ones' 'personal opinion'; however, personal opinion should be tactfully given and not accusatory, especially when unsolicited. One should refrain from calling other owner's creation/parts "stupid".... Being part of this forum, we are all Lotus devotees. A car like Lotus is someone's toy or a realization of a dream; therefore whatever brings joys to the owner of the car, we should be happy for him, especially when someone takes enough pride in his installation to share with others here.

Let's be clear about it, none of us really know what's the engineering thought process of Colin Chapman do we? Unless, one worked with Mr. chapman...also, "create down force close to 200 miles per hour...", really? Do you have supporting and substantive data for that statement? Does that mean none of the wings in any car currently available in the marketplace is functional? Your statement is simply speculation, isn't it?

I'm not trying to stir up any flames here, but your "personal opinion" sounded a bit excessively strong, when the the original poster was simply sharing his work... So, relax, sir. I don't even know the OP. ok, I'm off of the soap box.

GTED

O.K. This is my 'personal opinion'

If you want to put a spoiler on the back of your car it is of your descretion. Personally I feel it turns it into a Japanese 'want to be'. Spoilers for those who do not know the engineering of Colin Chapman were designed to create 'down force' on Grand Prix cars traveling at speeds of close to 200 miles per hour.

A really inovative concept back in the day and it should have stayed there. Now everyone thinks it's cool to put a spoiler on your car to make it look hot and fast. Our cars look fast just sitting still so these 'wings' mean nothing to me. The cars were penned by the finest in the industry so why did this have to happen such a fine work of art?

Were not driving 150 mph every day so why add this weight to try and make the car' look cool' It's cool all by itself without these stupd 'additions'

Robert

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yeah, we should all just leave our cars absolutely stock because they just can't be any faster, nicer or better looking than when they were original. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That looks great. Do you have other pics of your car or build up info? Looks interesting.
Sorry guys, been busy painting and polishing the spoiler and getting kids to baseball and softball games all weekend.
Shill- Here's a writeup for my build.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2346823/1989-lotus-esprit

Robert, I respect your opinion on what "you" like and I am not making you drive my car, nor look at it. If you don't like spoilers, then I am sorry. I do. I also own 2 other very well sorted and highly modified Jap "rice" cars both with spoilers that came on them from the factory. Both make double the horsepower and handle far better than my Esprit does, but I love my Esprit with a different reason altogether. Feel free to express your opinion, but also don't expect it to be well received by everyone. Also, if you have owned an Esprit for any length of time, you are well aware of many of the design shortcomings of each of the original designs. Whether it be electrical issues, poorly constructed pieces or panels or haphazard use of blind nuts to retain certain items. I have found many poorly engineered components on my car, even though the overall car is a dream come true, I have spent countless dollars and hours re-engineering many of these problems. Colin Chapman designed an iconic masterpiece to which we all agree. But not without flaw. I find the car, without a spoiler, just plain "incomplete"! Like a beautiful woman with a fantastic body and no boobs. Just my opinon!
Anyway, thanks all for the compliments. Here is todays' shot. Got her polished and mounted up... Even ran the wiring for the 3rd brake light!
BTW, yes, my old spoiler caught me unawares numerous times.... Hoping I've learned my lesson over 7 years of ownership!

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the Mid mounted wing too. But I fancied the V8 spoiler since before I owned an Esprit. A friend had a V8 and I loved the subtle curves of the spoiler and how it neatly mounted on the hatch without detracting from the lines of the whole car!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I like both of them actually, both modernize the older SE's a bit. Well done.

I find the car, without a spoiler, just plain "incomplete"! Like a beautiful woman with a fantastic body and no boobs.
Well said, comedic gold right there.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like both of them actually, both modernize the older SE's a bit. Well done.

Well said, comedic gold right there.
Lol! Thanks! I always like cars with a well designed spoiler to enhance the lines of a car. Much of my goal with this car has been to update and enhance an already brilliant design. I love the comments I get when I drive it, and suprisingly, when I drive with the local ferrari and lambo clubs for events, more people stop and ask questions about my car. There are several gallardo's and murci's here and they all look the same as each other aside from the color. There are no other Esprits and the vipers are a dime a dozen! Modernizing in a subtle way is a form of Art! I will take some pictures this week sometime when I get her off the lift and outside so you can see the whole car at a distance.
Artie

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol! Thanks Jim! I guess having some artistic talent certainly aids in a well thought out series of visual improvements. I have never thought of myself as "Artistic" seeing as how I still have the handwriting of a 3rd grader! I will have some time this evening hopefully to back her off the lift and shoot some sunset pics!
Artie

1 - 20 of 48 Posts