The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having intermittent problems with the fobs losing sync with the alarm, and getting progressively worse. But at this point, I simply cannot get either fob to get back in sync with the alarm.

I've tried the re-sync procedure dozens of times now. After entering the PIN on the alarm and getting the red light to stay on, and pressing both buttons on the fob until they stop blinking then turn to a steady light, pressing the big button does nothing except make the fob light blink. The light on the tach never goes blinks or goes out as a result of getting the signal from the fob. I've already replaced both batteries on the fobs and even bought a new battery for the car (optima red top 75-25). I've made sure the dome light is in the down position. I've also unplugged the wire harness from the alarm and re-connected it.

I've never had this problem before - I've been able to sync several times in the past, but the alarm now will simply not communicate with the fob - as if it's not receiving the signal from the fobs. And I've tried with both fobs.

I'm going to do the immobilizer bypass tomorrow because I'm forced to have to put the pin in every time I need to start the car, which is a real PITA. Aside from that, I can only lock/unlock the car with the key.

Any ideas? This is unbearable.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I went through the same thing many months ago as I was trying to program 2 FOBs simultaneously. I had to repeat the process over and over again for more than a half an hour before they finally both worked... and have been working properly ever since. Unfortunately, it rendered my original one unusable... for now. But there was no way that I was going to keep messing with this with 3 of them at the same time and end up with none of them working! :panic:
I used a thread here that walked me through the exact process that was slightly different than what I wrote down from the dealer. Follow it precisly, again be willing to repeat it many times, and hopefully you'll get your FOB to work as well. Also, have your replaced the batteries in the FOBs recently?.:up:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spent close to 2 hours tonight trying everything to get the alarm to sync with the fobs. Tried syncing with just one, tried syncing with the other, tried syncing after taking the batteries out, waiting 10 seconds, and replacing the batteries. Nothing I do makes either of the fobs able to flash the light on the dash. I even went as far as holding down the big button for over 45 seconds. There's simply no communication between either fob and the alarm. And yeah, I installed new batteries again on both fobs.

Could the alarm just simply be faulty?

After all that trying, I finally quit and did the bypass on the immobilizer harness and at least am now able to start the car without having to enter the pin every time. But the flashing light on the tach nevers goes away which bothers me, so I unplugged the harness to the alarm and now the alarm/immobilizer are completely de-activated.

Is replacing the alarm with something else pretty straightforward, and does anyone have any info on this? Is the wiring harness for the alarm compatible with any other brand for a plug-and-play swap?

I'd consider replacing the alarm with a basic keyless entry unit which usually has a built in shock sensor. No need for an immobilizer or intrusion sensor.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
You don't enter the PIN to just resync the remotes, that is used for programming, and it appears from your description you are not following the sequence for that correctly either. See my link below.
Michael
Been having intermittent problems with the fobs losing sync with the alarm, and getting progressively worse. But at this point, I simply cannot get either fob to get back in sync with the alarm.
I've tried the re-sync procedure dozens of times now. After entering the PIN on the alarm and getting the red light to stay on, and pressing both buttons on the fob until they stop blinking then turn to a steady light, pressing the big button does nothing except make the fob light blink. The light on the tach never goes blinks or goes out as a result of getting the signal from the fob. I've already replaced both batteries on the fobs and even bought a new battery for the car (optima red top 75-25). I've made sure the dome light is in the down position. I've also unplugged the wire harness from the alarm and re-connected it.
I've never had this problem before - I've been able to sync several times in the past, but the alarm now will simply not communicate with the fob - as if it's not receiving the signal from the fobs. And I've tried with both fobs.
I'm going to do the immobilizer bypass tomorrow because I'm forced to have to put the pin in every time I need to start the car, which is a real PITA. Aside from that, I can only lock/unlock the car with the key.
Any ideas? This is unbearable.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I followed the instructions to a T, but it's just not working. I doubt both fob's are dead. I'm willing to bet the alarm is though.

For now, the connector to the alarm has been disconnected and the immobilizer bypassed. The car is now driveable again, but of course no longer has an alarm/keyless entry.

Need to look into replacing the existing alarm with a new or used Cobra 8186. Anyone have any info on this? Like how do you remove the existing alarm? I tried prying out of its place, but it seems like it's screwed in place. Anyone know how to get it out?

If I can source a replacement unit, can I simply drop it in place of the existing one, use the PIN it comes with and program my fob's to it? Will it be pretty much plug-n-play?

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Joseph,
Certainly sound like a bad receiver in the alarm. I believe the alarm module is held down by 2 screws. If you can't get to them, I would suggest leaving it there and wedge the new unit on top with a bit of velcro if needed. As long as you have the PIN, the existing remotes can be used with the new module. I can get new Cobra alarm modules, so price them first and let me know.
Michael

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alarm problems solved!

Thanks to TESPRIT who sold us a replacement alarm (and shipped it out the next day), all the intermittent issues my dad had had with it are gone. By simply connecting the harness to the replacement alarm, we were immediately able to sync all 3 fobs with no problem on the 1st try. So we removed the 2 screws on the old alarm and removed it.

Curious as to why it wouldn't sync with the fobs, we opened it up and lo and behold, were surprised at what we found - corrosion on the circuit board.

Somehow, water found it's way into the alarm module through the connector on the top. Possibly a leak with the windshield seal? In anycase, we're going to seal the replacement alarm module (with a plastic bag or balloon before re-installing it). This also explains strange alarm problems whenever he washed the car.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Your module should have been enclosed in a bag from the factory. Lotus specifically states that the module was bagged for the specific reason of water getting into the module. Usually the only access to the module is by cutting a zip tie on that bag or cutting the bag itself. Either Nigel forgot the bag on your car or, more likely, someone was messing with your alarm in the past. This should be a lesson to all you Lotus owners out there not to leave the module exposed after working on your alarm. Thanks for the photos and I'm glad my module fixed your problem.

BTW, the part of the module that is wet and corroded in your photos is the receiver for the signal from the alarm fob, so that explains why it was losing synch with your fobs and gradually getting worse over time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts