The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in early October, two friends and I took a 5 day, 1,700 mile roadtrip across California. It was an epic trip full of adventure and probably one of the best decisions I've made in my life. Since then, I've been typing up the trip report bit by bit on a blog that we share. There's also lots of pictures.

The post detailing the pre-trip preparation is here: 2013 CanyonRats California Grand Tour: Pre-Trip « CanyonRats

Day 1 of the trip: 2013 CanyonRats California Grand Tour: Day 1 « CanyonRats

Day 2 of the trip: 2013 CanyonRats California Grand Tour: Day 2 « CanyonRats

Day 3, part 1: 2013 CanyonRats California Grand Tour: Day 3 (part 1) « CanyonRats

Day 3, part 2: 2013 Canyonrats Grand Tour: Day 3 (part 2) « CanyonRats

Please enjoy. The write-up for Days 4 and 5 are yet to come.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Run with you anytime!

Great write-up! I've been maybe on 70% of the roads you've traveled during your tour. I agree with sturgeongeneral: We love to participate in more multi-day Sierra trips and would like to join you on future ventures. In fact, camping along the way is up our alley, too. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
256 Posts
What mechanical issue popped up?

Read your posts with great interest. Question: What was the mechanical problem you encountered on Hwy 1 close to Carmel or wherever it happened? I drove my 05 Elise on many long distance trips and racked up over 80k miles without any problems - not even a flat tire. Curious to know what happened. In any case, we up here in the Sac region would love to hook up with you sometime down the road.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Interesting. How were you able to fix it? I would be very much interested in learning your quick fix approach.

On my car the instrument cluster 'froze' exactly 1 day before the warranty was up. The dealer had to order a replacement from England, but replaced the approx. $900 unit w/o charge a couple of weeks later. No problems ever since.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just pulled the fuse and put it back.

It was interesting driving a portion of Highway 1 without gauges and having to shift based on pure feel.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Thanks!

That was some adventure. I don't think I'd want to go through any dirt roads in my Elise.

I've done several big road trips in my Elise but it seems having a few extra cars really adds to the experience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts