The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Top Gear said these incredible cars have a tendency to burst into flames. :eek:

Still a bit on the experimental side, apparently!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing about flames was that mechanic fitted wrong threaded oil filter. It blew of and all the oil went straight onto the exhaust with known results.

Caparo rushed the team to launch the car. Hence the result.

Or at least thats what i was told by their sales director.

·
Registered
391 Posts
It also burnt Jason Plato from 5th gear.

But what an amazing car.

Val, are you think of getting one?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here is what is on Wikipedia about the Caparo's teething problems. Hope they have it sorted now as it looks like an awesome piece of kit.

Incidents
Jason Plato was injured in a prototype T1 on October 2007 at the Bruntingthorpe proving ground when it caught fire at an estimated 250 kilometres per hour (160 mph).[14] The T1 was being tested during filming for Five's Fifth Gear. Plato described what happened as:

There was a slight loss of power, I looked in the mirror and saw some smoke, there was a slight smell of oil and then suddenly there was this intense heat. The car spontaneously erupted into a ball of flame and I was sat in the middle of a fireball. I hit the brakes, brought the car to a stop as quickly as I could and jumped out.[15]

In the associated episode of Fifth Gear, first broadcast October 15, 2007, presenter Vicki Butler-Henderson suggested the fire was caused by a "faulty oil sealing component," which now identified, will be fully rectified by Caparo.[16]

While being tested for competing British television programme Top Gear, first broadcast on November 11, 2007, a floor panel came loose from the test vehicle as it was being driven at speed by Jeremy Clarkson. Afterwards, there was a problem with the car's petrol injection system. In the same review, Clarkson mentioned two more incidents, one at the press launch, when "some aspect of the front suspension came adrift" while a Dutch journalist was driving, causing him to veer off road, and one at the Goodwood Festival of Speed when the throttle stuck open.[3]

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
...and in the best color. :up:

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Val, you didn't...did you? :drool:

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not yet :) im rather worried about reliability and waiting for a good track as well.

·
Registered
494 Posts
From what I've seen the Caparo is not for the faint hearted. It appears to be VERY aero dependant. That's why Clarkson struggled so badly with it and Plato didn't -- Plato was willing to trust the car would work better at higher speeds, and Clarkson wasn't.

The old adage is "you can go through the corner at 80 on mechanical grip, and at 100 with aero grip, but at 90 you just end up in the gravel trap."

IOW, you'll need a big leap of faith to jump the dead man's zone. And the car won't be very forgiving of mistakes.

That said...do want. :)

Steve

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Funny anecdote on the Caparo. I have permanently damaged my 10 year old son, making him a even more deep-rooted gear head than my father ever did to me. We watched Jeremy have all the fun with the caparo, and it made a huge impression on him.
His school work always rounds back to cars. He had to write a story about a pet of his, based on the premise of a book "if you give a pig a pancake". Anyway, his story had his guinea pig "GP" being given a caparo and driving it like he stole it. His teacher corrected his wording to "CAMARO". ARGGGHH. He is still challenging that one!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Funny anecdote on the Caparo. I have permanently damaged my 10 year old son, making him a even more deep-rooted gear head than my father ever did to me. We watched Jeremy have all the fun with the caparo, and it made a huge impression on him.
His school work always rounds back to cars. He had to write a story about a pet of his, based on the premise of a book "if you give a pig a pancake". Anyway, his story had his guinea pig "GP" being given a caparo and driving it like he stole it. His teacher corrected his wording to "CAMARO". ARGGGHH. He is still challenging that one!

Fight it!! Good for him.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I can't believe they put road tires on it. I wouldn't drive it with anything less than a R comp (a real set too, not crap A048s)

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Not yet :) im rather worried about reliability and waiting for a good track as well.
Let me know. I need three weeks in advance to book my Moscow ticket. :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts