The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read this message board enough to know that selling my spot for the Elise won't sit well with many Elise enthusiasts who post here. Nonetheless, we are a capitalist society, and it is in the spirit of good old American greed that I offer up my spot for the Elise. Interested parties can email me at [email protected], or drop me a message on this board (if the post doesn't get removed). My deposit is at a Lotus dealer in Texas, and I'm high enough on the list that I will be in the next batch of folks that place their order for the car.

Don't get me wrong - the Elise is going to be an awesome little car, but I've decided that it's not the right car for me at the moment.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I don't know what Randy's policy on posting waiting list spots for sale is, but even if he does allow it - the for sale area would be where to put it, not here.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
It's just a car. It isn't like you are selling your kid or something. Good luck, and hope that it works out.

Thomas

·
Registered
394 Posts
In San Antonio the lotus dealer Gonzaba will NOT allow you to sell your spot. We talked about it over the phone the other day and he talked about morals and principals of a business and he said he would not allow anything like this to take place at his dealership. I agree with his position, however like anything in life where there is money to be made someone will make it!

Adam P
Now number 8 in sa due to a drop out!

·
Banned
901 Posts
I spoke with Dave Behlmann at Mid-Rivers Lotus here in St. Louis and they too are simply moving people up in the line for anyone who wants/needs out.

Mark Pfeffer

·
Registered
156 Posts
Elise4u2 said:
Don't get me wrong - the Elise is going to be an awesome little car, but I've decided that it's not the right car for me at the moment.

Thanks! [/B]
I'm almost positive that my dealer (Motorcars of West Palm Beach) would not allow this.

I called them yesterday to see if anybody dropped off the list (I'm a lowly #31), and they said that nobody dropped off and that spots are not being sold.

If you can't afford the car, drop off the darn list and let me get mine earlier.

I think it's bs that people put down deposits w/ no interest in buying the car, and shafting people who are behind them.

The other dealer(the Collection) I spoke to in my area has it in writting on the deposit form that spots can NOT be sold.

My .02, I could be wrong.

If I sound gruppy it's because I want my car now. =)

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I think that he planned on purchasing the car, and now has had a change of plans.

I'm not sure about selling your spot in line, but you could always take delivery of the car and sell the car. I'm guessing that the demand will be high enough that you might make a few bucks on the transaction.

Give the guy a break, I'm sure that he is heartbroken that he isn't getting the Elise. :(

Thomas

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Yep,
I don't have a problem with him trying to sell his slot if the dealer allows it. Perhaps it'll enable someone who really wants the car to get it sooner.

Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
From reading the text in his post I doubt he's heartbroken about this. At least he's honest about his mercenary intentions. Nonetheless, his type does potentially harm the enthusiast by artificially driving prices up. I'm not saying he shouldn't be able to do it but he certainly doesn't deserve any type of sympathy.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Feffman said:
I spoke with Dave Behlmann at Mid-Rivers Lotus here in St. Louis and they too are simply moving people up in the line for anyone who wants/needs out.
Good to hear! :D It's also the only reasonable thing to do. I have a certain understanding for dealers selling cars at markup, they're businesses, and they need to make money. But the dealership wouldn't profit from spots being traded. It's a guy who decided not to become a customer who cashes in. It seems much smarter to make some customers happy by giving them cars sooner than expected. Or, if it has to be, sell the car with a markup.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Elise4u2 said:
I'm high enough on the list that I will be in the next batch of folks that place their order for the car.
How is he so sure...our dealers don't seem to know what the allocations are.

Buyer beware...:eek:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Re: Re: Capitalism forces sale of Elise order in Texas

Patricko said:
How is he so sure...our dealers don't seem to know what the allocations are.

Buyer beware...:eek:
From what I've heard, the dealers seem to have a pretty good sense of their potential allocations. The numbers may or may not have been finalized and quite possibly the dealers have been instructed not to release this information.

In any case, I would assume that this guy is #10-19 at the dealership and assumes that he will be in the next round of ordering, which would jibe with what we've heard.

Also, it's possible that the dealer would share in the proceeds of the sale to allow the substitution. Otherwise, they would be pretty foolish to sell cars at MSRP and let the non-customer profit from a markup.

Based on the auctions of waiting list spots on e-bay for various cars, it seems to be common practice for speculators to buy up spots for resale at a profit. This has gotten totally out of control with rock concert tickets, sporting events, etc - brokers have an army of people who buy up tickets as soon as they go on sale, forcing common folks to pay extra $$ to them to get decent seats to popular events.

If the car companies wanted to eliminate this, it would be simple - just don't allow transfers on deposits. Most people do not want to invest big money to actually buy a car and then resell it, plus extra sales tax would be due, plus there could be warranty issues with resale, etc.; it's a lot easier and cheaper with less risk to just deal with deposits, which are refundable if things don't pan out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Yep,
I don't have a problem with him trying to sell his slot if the dealer allows it. Perhaps it'll enable someone who really wants the car to get it sooner.

Chris
I wonder how many people feel this way too, but if a dealer were to charge over MSRP everybody says screw that dealer.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to justify dealer mark-up, hell, we put it in writing on the contract that we'll sell you your Elise at MSRP.
BTW...we will not allow a depositor to sell their place, what they do with the car after they purchase it is up to them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Canyon Carver said:
I wonder how many people feel this way too, but if a dealer were to charge over MSRP everybody says screw that dealer.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to justify dealer mark-up, hell, we put it in writing on the contract that we'll sell you your Elise at MSRP.
BTW...we will not allow a depositor to sell their place, what they do with the car after they purchase it is up to them.
Because it's one person, it's his spot, I think he should be able to do what he wants with it.

If he were allowed to sign up for the first 100 spots on the list, then sold them all for profit, I'm sure that EVERYONE would have a problem with that....

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I think if you want to play Lotus dealer pony up and buy the car, then sell it, if not step aside.

What would Disneyland do if people started selling thier spots in line for Space Mountain? How would you feel if you were in line for it? What right do they have to sell a spot in line?

Patrick
2005 Elise, in line behind some people...

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
It'll all boil down to what his dealer wants to do anyway. It was explained at the time of my deposit that it wasn't transferrable.

I just personally don't have a problem with him trying it. I also, wouldn't have a problem with a dealer selling cars at markup, IF, a big IF, he hasn't already taken deposits already guaranteeing msrp. (I think ultimately this is what Symbolic is doing), and moving people who pay more to the head fo the line. I do have a problem with that.

Chris

·
Registered
394 Posts
JeffersonRaley said:
Adam - When did you move up? I was #10 at Gonzaba when we placed orders, which put me in the 2nd group of cars (if the firt deliveries are for 10 cars.) If you're #8 now, I may be in the first batch. Cause for celebration.
Someone from the board dropped off the list at Gonzaba causing the entire list to go up one from 6th position on. He's got u2 in his sig! You should be #9 now, call and ask for George Gonzaba, hes the man!

ADam P

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Capitalism is designed to reward those who innovate and work hard. You are a pathetic example of the failure of the system.

I wish you nothing but failure in life, so that you may become a symbol of the failed capitalism which you manipulate.

Bastard.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.