The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for a new car since october last year, looked at many different brands/models. Now, I have found a lotus elise I really really like. I am 21, and working (so time isnt always permitting for cross country trips and I want everything NOW).

I have reached a tentative agreement for the car. The car's title is currently with the bank. Would it be crazy/wrong/dangerous to pay for the car now, pick it up and have the title sent to me later?

Thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes to buying the car sight unseen (saw your other post about having someone check it out). Personally, I would never buy a car unless I saw it myself. I just don't trust others that much (even lotus techs).

No, having the title shipped to you (or the bank)...with a lien on the car, his bank and yours would not issue a title without having the car paid in full.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I probably should add that I am going down to check it out myself and drive it back home (after inspection at a lotus dealership). Just wanted someone else to make sure it wasn't misrepresented (which i strongly doubt it was, better safe than sorry though) before i flew down).
Btw, already started shopping for vinyl stripes (yellow stripes on a LRG elise... beautiful), stereo (preferrably touch screen with a hard drive), exhaust (still a maybe), diffuser... I'm just super giddy right now!!
Is this what if feels like to get drunk? high? win the lottery?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I probably should add that I am going down to check it out myself and drive it back home (after inspection at a lotus dealership). Just wanted someone else to make sure it wasn't misrepresented (which i strongly doubt it was, better safe than sorry though) before i flew down).
Btw, already started shopping for vinyl stripes (yellow stripes on a LRG elise... beautiful), stereo (preferrably touch screen with a hard drive), exhaust (still a maybe), diffuser... I'm just super giddy right now!!

first off, how far away is the car of interest from you?

I bought my Elise sight unseen (only detailed pictures), not even a person to check it out prior to sending money... also had it shipped back to me by an auto carrier

I made this decision based on a few things
1. the inconvenience to take off work (& possibly find a 2nd person to do the same)
2. fly or find someone to drive me to the state the car was in...
3. driving the car back home (which after reading the forums, scared the hell out of me with the oil line failures... & i sure as hell wasn't going to take a chance getting stranded on the way back home multiple states away in a car that wasn't under warranty)

i also had a great dialog/communication with the seller & even after a few hurdles came up with the bank i financed through, the seller still hung with me for nearly a month before he got paid the remaining amount i owed after my deposit (that alone made me feel pretty good that he was willing to work with me & make sure the deal got done)

now i know there are many sh!tty people on this planet that would love to screw others over... but i feel the owners of these cars aren't those type of people (had i been buying a 94 civic i would have done things much differently)

i surely wasn't going to send $ to a stranger if i didn't feel right about something, but that feeling never occurred in my transaction so we proceeded & i took ownership of a great car that was exactly as described

coincidentally my Elise used to belong to another member on this site years ago... so i was able to dig up some info that he posted when he was active here & gather additional info about the car

on top of using this forum as a fantastic resource to find out everything Elise related before even making my first call to potential sellers... i felt really good asking the right questions prior to purchasing

i also wasn't just some random person who got excited, called, said i was interested, & offered a price... i did plenty of research, knew exactly what to ask & how to follow up

after a year digging on these forums, i probably knew more about an 05 Elise prior to buying mine than any one of the previous 4 owners... that's how confident i approached the possible purchase of my Elise

so just an FYI... don't be afraid to take a risk if everything else checks out cleanly (but make damn sure you know about these cars before making a similar choice i did)

but whatever you do, don't make a decision based on excitement (regardless of how impatient you are right now)... because even though my situation turned out great, it doesn't mean there aren't Elise's you should stay away from

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the car is actually in my home state, less than 1k miles away, so i see it as only slightly out of the way, since i have a place to stay there and transportation.
Seller has been great, and has thrown in quite a lot of extra goodies, extra wheel, car cover, uni-key. Even offered to let me take his plates for the trip back and keep them until I got mine. Truly seems like an upstanding guy.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I bought my Lotus sight unseen from Colorado from a LT member, I did not even test drive a lotus, I just paid for it and the first time I drove it was after paperwork was done and I drove it 1200 miles home in two days. I knew it was the car I wanted and nothing was changing my mind and with only 15k miles not to much could be terribly wrong, that was last July and it's my favorite car I have ever owned.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I'd say don't buy stuff until you get accustomed to the car first :cool:.
I know the feeling and I did buy thing here and there before the purchase was finalized. But in hind sight, it was a risky and pointless move.
It all turned out ok, though. Except I still felt like a douche the entire time with a folding tow hook for like a month without a car to put it on. rotfl:panic::wallbang::thwack::mw::shift:

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Wow! Drftwoods story almost exactly paralells mine! Bought my Elise sight unseen except for detailed pics. Seller gave me the Lotus dealerships # and the performance shop that did over $20,000.00 in upgrades. Shipped to me sight unseen and fully paid for. Best money I ever spent!!! The only thing I can add is to talk with his bank first to make sure they know money and ownership is changing hands and I think all will go well. I know you have been looking for a while so good luck and take lots of pics when you get her home!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, both I and the seller talked and decided it was best if he took care of his part and once that is done, I pay him in full. Another member has looked over this car for me. I have an ecu dump (this car hasn't even gone over 103mph and has spent about 45 seconds over 93mph). Looks like this is the one.
Have to say, the amount of help i received from individual members on my way to this car was astounding, and as long as nothing serious changes, pics will be here july 20th at the latest!!!!
Thanks for all the help everyone

1 - 11 of 11 Posts