The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I look at various car covers for my Elise I notice that none of them have any holes in them or openings that would allow for an extension chord to plug into the battery tender. Of course, a hole is an opening that reduces the effectiveness of the car cover so that is understandable. What I want to learn is how do people plug in their cars while under a cover? Do they just let the chord run down the back of the car and come out underneath the cover? I'd worry about damage to the paint finish if the cover was pressing hard on the chord, but maybe that is an over reaction on my part. Pull the battery and leave the car powered? Those are the only two options I can think of.

Thank you for your advice.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
251 Posts
As I look at various car covers for my Elise I notice that none of them have any holes in them or openings that would allow for an extension chord to plug into the battery tender. Of course, a hole is an opening that reduces the effectiveness of the car cover so that is understandable. What I want to learn is how do people plug in their cars while under a cover? Do they just let the chord run down the back of the car and come out underneath the cover? I'd worry about damage to the paint finish if the cover was pressing hard on the chord, but maybe that is an over reaction on my part. Pull the battery and leave the car powered? Those are the only two options I can think of.

Thank you for your advice.
I think your over-thinking it a bit. If you are worried about the cover pressing the chord, you could place a towel from boot lid down the back, then the chord on that.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think your over-thinking it a bit. If you are worried about the cover pressing the chord, you could place a towel from boot lid down the back, then the chord on that.
LOL...won't be the first time. Thanks for the feedback. My car port gives pretty good protection so I'm not 100% certain a car cover is necessary, but since they do not cost that much will probably get one and use it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I 3D printed the mount that was shared in this post:
It uses the same connector HethelSport has in there kit shared above. I wish I knew they had it as I sourced mine from the UK and it took awhile and probably cost more. There is access to the plate area from the trunk. You could probably mount it to the diffuser just be sure you route the wires away from exhaust bits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Generic car covers used to come with a reinforcing 'patch' so you could cut a hole in the cover to accommodate a fixed antenna. I'll bet those are still available (maybe ebay or amazon) - and you could repurpose to fit the charging lead thru instead of the antenna.

I like your thought of putting a hole in a cover, may try and find a patch myself.

good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
LOL...won't be the first time. Thanks for the feedback. My car port gives pretty good protection so I'm not 100% certain a car cover is necessary, but since they do not cost that much will probably get one and use it.
I'd be more worried about the flapping/billowing of a cover chaffing the paint then the cord.

When I had a car parked outside (in a carport), I used extra tie downs. I used thumb screw tarp/tent clips as grip points with 1/4" rope ratchets . Both are available on amazon.

I ran one cord front to rear and had four running side to side. I could draw the cover tight and never had it lift or flap even in extremely high winds. After two years of regular outside parking, I had absolutely no paint damage, scratches or marring. It stayed just as clean as the day I covered it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I had a car parked outside (in a carport), I used extra tie downs. I used thumb screw tarp/tent clips as grip points with 1/4" rope ratchets . Both are available on amazon.
What did you attached these clips to on the terminating end? Another part of the car? I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing how you ended up making this work. Thank you for the idea.

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
The clips mount to the cover and the 1/4" rope ratchets pass under the car and mount to the clips on the other side. So, you have one clip in the front and one the rear. Then, each side of the car has 4 clips. So, 10 clips total. And, 5 rope rachets.

It seems like a pain in the neck but once they are set-up, its very easy. If you are careful, you can leave the thumb screw clips attached to the cover as you remove and install it. The 1/4" rope ratchet take a second to pass under the car to secure and adjust.

Here's one side showing where the clips go:

You can also look at 2:45 -3:00 in the below video and see what I mean (but he used a bungee which does not tighten down as secure as the rope rachets)

I've been using this set-up on my winter boat covers for years and it works great since its super easy and adjustable during the winter storage season.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I ran quick connect pig-tail from battery thru existing trunk cut out for license plate lights to come out above the rear license plate. I tuck it in above plate when not connected to battery charger. Been this way since 2006 without issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had similar dilemma and ended up going complete different route. Using Xtender and shutting off battery so it does not drain. Uses AGM battery that is half the weight and does not leak.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I had similar dilemma and ended up going complete different route. Using Xtender and shutting off battery so it does not drain. Uses AGM battery that is half the weight and does not leak.

I did not like the ramification of forgetting to turn off the switch. 1) battery too low and try to start; oops now have to go to dealer to reload VIN,

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The clips mount to the cover and the 1/4" rope ratchets pass under the car and mount to the clips on the other side. So, you have one clip in the front and one the rear. Then, each side of the car has 4 clips. So, 10 clips total. And, 5 rope rachets.

It seems like a pain in the neck but once they are set-up, its very easy. If you are careful, you can leave the thumb screw clips attached to the cover as you remove and install it. The 1/4" rope ratchet take a second to pass under the car to secure and adjust.

Here's one side showing where the clips go:
View attachment 1254463

You can also look at 2:45 -3:00 in the below video and see what I mean (but he used a bungee which does not tighten down as secure as the rope rachets)

I've been using this set-up on my winter boat covers for years and it works great since its super easy and adjustable during the winter storage season.
Thank you very much.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Enclose the carport and call it good. I drape my charger cord over the wing as it exits so that it doesn't touch the car as much.
I looked at converting my carport into a garage. The quote came back $25k so I took a pass on that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Those were going to be my exact words until I scrolled down and saw your reply.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Hmm. I just hang my Xtender with the built in hook on window and charge thru the cig port. The cords can also fit thru with the window up. Maybe you could do something like that and just have the cord coming out the bottom of the cover on the side. I've been doing this for 10yrs and no issues. Like others said you could use a towel to give added paint protection.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone. I have my battery tender situation all worked out, but another issue has come up. I was called out of town for 2 weeks and now my car is not in a condition to have the cover put over it. Winter has come very early in Michigan and the temperatures are below freezing or just slightly above. I can't wash and prep the car to make it clean before putting the cover on it. Soooooo.....I'm unable to leave the battery tender on the car 24x7 because I dont want to lave my car unattended with the hood open. Always something with me, isn't it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts