The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to trailer my Elise to British Invasion in Vermont from a little upstate NewYork on a uHaul open trailer this September. Can anyone recommend a quality car cover that can withstand the buffeting going up there?

·
Wow Such Admin
6,983 Posts
Don't do it. It will destroy your paint.

I hauled my Elise open trailer behind a penske truck twice in 3 months 1300 miles and it was fine.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
As others have said a car cover on an open trailer is a no-no... however...

You can wrap the entire car with or without the car cover with stretch wrap and packing tape.
Pratt Retail Specialties 12.2 Micron 17.5 in. x 1500 ft. High Performance Cast Clear Stretch Wrap-APPH1880SX at The Home Depot

I've towed cars for hundreds of miles with the car cocooned in stretch wrap and simply cut it off upon arrival and you have a clean car!

Hint: be sure to wrap under the car as well as over and around.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Wow Such Admin
6,983 Posts
As others have said a car cover on an open trailer is a no-no... however...

You can wrap the entire car with or without the car cover with stretch wrap and packing tape.
Pratt Retail Specialties 12.2 Micron 17.5 in. x 1500 ft. High Performance Cast Clear Stretch Wrap-APPH1880SX at The Home Depot

I've towed cars for hundreds of miles with the car cocooned in stretch wrap and simply cut it off upon arrival and you have a clean car!

Hint: be sure to wrap under the car as well as over and around.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
I wanna see a pic!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I towed a covered Europa from Michigan to San Diego several years ago on an open trailer. The key to preventing paint damage is to minimize wind flapping as much as possible. I protected the paint with moving blankets, then the cover and finally wrapped the entire car with a black polyethylene HVAC wrap. Finished up with several rolls of duct tape. This seemed to work OK, no paint damage at the end of the trip.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts