The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
along with 4 kids & 2 dogs my wife feels its necc. that we have 2 cats, worthless stinkin cats. my question is if the car is in the garage and i use a car cover are the cats still going to be able to get in the car and shred my seats or am i going to have to secure the hard top whenever i store it?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
You can probably get away with just a shower cap if all you want to do is keep the cats out.

I hear there's also some spray that you can apply to a car cover/shower cap to keep the cats off of it.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Cats are lazy creatures; despite what some think, they are NOT out to get you. Understand how they think, and you can manage them.

A nice, soft car cover will do two things. One, it'll provide a wonderfully shredable canvas for them to sharpen their claws on. In the process, their sharp claws will sink through the cover and scratch your car. Granted, not all cats will want to do this (most prefer materials that catch their claws, like carpet), but it will certainly be more enticing than smooth paint. The second thing it'll do is provide a soft bed for them to sleep on. If you intended to leave the soft/hard top off and just cover the car, the car cover will sink in under the weight of the cat...from what I've seen, cats really like this and you can expect it will only encourage them.

You might be better off with no car cover at all - just keep a top on it, and the windows rolled up.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Matt,
Take my word for it after about 15 cats (have 5 now) cats love to walk up and down on paint, don't know why but true, better to get a car cover, I'd rather them lay, walk on that than the bare paint for top!!:) Chris

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
If anyone needs two more cats I have two that we've raised from 2 day old kittens...not an easy task! They're almost ready to go, I'll give you a smokin deal on em! :)

Attachments

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Here's an even better solution. Keep your cats indoors where they belong! ;) :)
...and keep your car locked safely in a garage, where IT belongs! :)

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
OFM,

They are soooooooo cute! :)

Don't need another cat though.

In my experience, like Chris said, cats love to climb on cars. They will climb in if the windows are open to...damn curious creatures they are.

So I just keep the garage door closed. That was the cat cant do any damage.

·
Registered
187 Posts
hogfan said:
along with 4 kids & 2 dogs my wife feels its necc. that we have 2 cats, worthless stinkin cats. my question is if the car is in the garage and i use a car cover are the cats still going to be able to get in the car and shred my seats or am i going to have to secure the hard top whenever i store it?

I can tell you this from my boxster days. I had a great car cover. The neighbors cat would sleep on the roof of the boxster...Then he put those claws through the cover and the top....The Elise can be the same way. Little tiny pin holes that just leak but you can not see......I purchased a SCAT MATT.....Best thing I ever bought....It shocks the cats and they are smart....they do not come back....get one and your car is safe...

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MattG said:
...and keep your car locked safely in a garage, where IT belongs! :)
i actually do keep car in garage and have no idea why cats want in there but if i leave garage door up for more than a few minutes i will come back later and guess what. cat in garage. i do like the idea of the scat mat on top of car cover. that could be a winner. thanks for all the tips

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Let's see... Cats...

A cat used to get into my garage and climb up on my Elan. For some reason, it loved to stand/sit on the windshield header and urinate. The urine would flow down the car cover and puddle on the cover above the center of the console (top down of course).:no: It was always great fun trying to get the cover off without spilling-eek-

At the next house, a cat used to get in the garage an urinate on the nice chrome wheels - totally ruined the wheels.:mad:

Then there was the stray cat that crawled into my father-in-law's Corvair and had her litter...:huh:

Did I mention that my wife's allergy to cats has put here in the hospital a few times?

I pretty much consider cats to be dog food...:D

One of my favorite humorous books: "101 Uses for a Dead Cat", and the sequel, "Another 101 Uses for a Dead Cat".

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
My friend's cat, a randy little minx on the flyweight roster, once scaled the nearly closed window of my Civic and left a decapitated rabbit's head in the footwell for me. What a pleasant surprise on my way to work. Hannibal had nothing on that animal.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Right out of my mind's eye, LB. :D

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Ground Loop said:
Whatever you do, don't google for "scat matt" and start clicking. You do NOT feel lucky.

I'm scarred for life.
Uhggggg.... That was not enough of a warning...:no: :no:

Curiosity killed the cat...:eek:

Tim Mullen

1 - 20 of 50 Posts