The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can we get car covers for the Elise? I have not seen anyone bring this up, and I have no idea where to get one. Any help?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
2 This is the evolution cover which is good in/outdoors and very reasonably priced. I only actually use the cover once in a blue moon so had no need for the more expensive covers.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Will the evolution cover keep rain out of the car if you have the roof off and just put the two roof braces in place of it instead?

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
who makes this one? I believe it was posted on here a while back. I really like it.

Any chance it's water resistant?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
ace3 said:
who makes this one? I believe it was posted on here a while back. I really like it.

Any chance it's water resistant?

That is the Lotus dust cover and it is for indoor use only. I have one and it is very nice.

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Patricko said:
That is the Lotus dust cover and it is for indoor use only. I have one and it is very nice.
Excellent. Did you purchase it through the dealer? Cost?

What's the material on the outside? More specifically, if a few drops of water fell on it - would they roll off, or get sucked into the cover?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
ace3 said:
Excellent. Did you purchase it through the dealer? Cost?

What's the material on the outside? More specifically, if a few drops of water fell on it - would they roll off, or get sucked into the cover?
I got mine from my dealer and it was just over $300.

I don't think water would roll off of it. It is very soft on the inside and the outside is porous.

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Patricko said:
I got mine from my dealer and it was just over $300.

I don't think water would roll off of it. It is very soft on the inside and the outside is porous.
That's not bad at all. It's a great looking cover.

I was just wondering about the water, because my garage door tends to get condensation on the inside when it snows outside (i have a gas fireplace in the garage). maybe i'll just throw a tarp over the car cover in the winter.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
ace3 said:
That's not bad at all. It's a great looking cover.

I was just wondering about the water, because my garage door tends to get condensation on the inside when it snows outside (i have a gas fireplace in the garage). maybe i'll just throw a tarp over the car cover in the winter.

Thanks!
You could just put a cheap outdoor cover over the lotus one

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I've gotten a cover from AutoAnything.com in the past where I had to custom order one to deal with front and rear spoilers. I think they are just resellers, but they do have a large selection of materiels for different uses. You could probably find a fabric designed specifically for yours situation.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I got the rain cover from a dealer. Here's two pics.
I called /Aston Martin of New England-Lotus Motorsports at 781.547.5959 and they got it to me for under $200.

Lotus part #LOTAC05319

Attachments

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
My experience with covers made of Kimberly Clark Evolution material is that they are not truly waterproof. They are a triple layer cloth material that is extremely water repellent. It is breathable so condensation is not trapped underneath it. If a cover is completely 100% waterproof it was trap condensation.

I had a Covercraft cover made of Evolution on my Seven that was caught in an overnight rain storm. The next morning and there was a small lake on top of the cover (I didn't have the top on the car) over the passenger area. Underneath the car was completely dry, the cover had absorbed some moisture and needed to be dried out (took about an hour in the sun).

I now use covers of Evolution on my Elans and have had similar experience. Thumbs up!

Kiyoshi

·
Supporting Vendor
4,440 Posts
We offer covers made in several diiferent materials, indoor and outdoor use. They are all made specifically for the Elise. Check them out: HERE

Here's one of my favorites. It is available in 8 different colors and in solid colors. It breathes and is waterproof.

Here is one of our indoor covers. It is available in 6 different colors. It breathes but is not waterproof.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Shinoo,

Will car cover fit inside the boot? I read that cover made with weathershield is thinner than evolution. How is weathershield for outdoor usage?

And what is this Sunbrella material?

I am in San Francisco - no snow and mostly sunny - but I have no garage so I need an outdoor cover.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,440 Posts
The Weathershield is a great cover. It packs very small and will easily fit in your trunk - with tons of space to spare. You can wash this in your home washing machine. The pic is a Honda Accord cover.

The Evolution cover is also very good but is much more bulky. This will fit in your trunk as well.

The Sunbrella is for severe UV conditions - like Phoenix or Vegas. You don't need it in SF.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It seems strange that the outdoor factory cover...

...does not have mirror pockets. It seems that it would move around a fair amount with a good wind.

Any thoughts on the UV protection that the factory indoor cover might offer? I won't drive the car in the rain anyway. I just want something that will keep the sun out and not scratch the finish.

jjb

1 - 20 of 20 Posts