The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sad sad day today. Coming back from a friend's place, taking a curve on the road and run over some hard, higher than my ground clearance object with my left wheel. It scrapes the clam hard. What do I do about the clam? Guess it's time to buy a new rim!

It doesn't seem to be cracked. just a somewhat deep scrape

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ouch, from the looks of things this could have been worse. I'd call your dealer and find someone local who has worked with these cars. They will patch it up, grind it down, and paint it. Should look good as new.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fixed the pics. Anyone have any recommendations on someone to take this to in Central Illinois, or anywhere around illinois?

·
Such Administrating
6,894 Posts
Ahh, now I can see the damage. That sucks, but on the bright side, when you get a new wheel, you can use the bad one for a cool table or garage display or something.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the alignment is off now, as to be expected, and the steering wheel seems shaky, but that could be more due to the broken rim, right?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
the alignment is off now, as to be expected, and the steering wheel seems shaky, but that could be more due to the broken rim, right?
The belts in the tire might have been damaged by the impact, or the wheel/tire damage may have thrown the wheel out of balance.

If the alignment is off (i.e. steering wheel is no longer centered), check for suspension damage (wishbones, steering arm, track rod, pickup points, etc)

·
He's on fire!
3,286 Posts
+1 On one of my DD's years ago I caught something with the edge of the tire. Ended up replacing A arm and tie rod end in addition to the alignment.

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
There are often plenty of places that straighten and fix damaged wheels...assuming you don't want to buy new one(s).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Make an insurance claim?

Sorry to hear. A friend recently ran over a piece of wood and it managed to punch a whole in his fender. So yes, it certainly could have been worse, but still upsetting nonetheless.

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: Damage

Alignment looks off.

Put the car up on a hoist and check the suspension. All of it.

I cannot see, if the whell is cracked. If it is just scraped, it can be fixed. If it is bent, it can be fixed. Then re-paint.

Broken suspension is dangerous to drive on. If you are driving on the wheel (it means it is not cracked and keeping air in), it can be fixed, but still dangerous to drive on.

Modern tires are pretty robust with steel belts and all. So check the tire, but it should be OK.

The clam can be fixed by any fiberglass shop. Lotus uses chopped fiberglass just like the '70's Corvettes. Easy to fix.

Anton

·
Registered
796 Posts
Sorry to see the scrape EE! Luckily it was an entire ripping from the from right side of the clam.

I wish your green beast a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hey man sorry about your baby.

But... after your first post right after getting the car i expected to see you posting on the salvage forum actually.

I hope you can now see how delicate our cars are.

Fortunately fixing that won't cost you much, those wheels nobody wants and they are sold regularly for cheap, the scrape damage on the body just needs touchup paint since it's in a hard to see place.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,045 Posts
good opportunity to get a real set of wheels. . . . like LSS or RAC monolites.

I had the base when new and after switching to Rac's long ago it felt like
the car released the anchor(base wheels) it was pulling. It was really dramatic,
almost as much as a supercharger. (not really, but I could not find another analog.

-Robert

1 - 18 of 18 Posts