The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beautiful 52 degree day yesterday (getting tons of snow right now though!).

Took the car out and did some nice spirited driving on twisty country roads. Probably a good 2-3 hours.

Made a turn and noticed the car was moving, but nothing happened when I hit the throttle. Tried downshifting, but nada.

Car finally died.

The battery is brand new. Tested connections, etc - everything fine. Everything electronically worked - radio, lights, etc. Immobilizer worked.

The key turned and the 'chugga chugga', but it wouldn't turn over completely.

Thought it might be the fuse for the ignition coil or fuel pump. Happened to have some in the car so swapped them. No dice.

Had to tow it back. Not a huge deal as it's now snowing and car will be in official 'winter slumber', but I do want it fixed.

I spoke to TJ and we'll address it when he's back, but wondering if anyone has any immediate ideas or has experienced this.

BTW - yes, it has gas! I had just put a full tank in.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Can't see how this could have happened, but it's extremely easy to check.....

Is it the fuel cut-off switch?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I was going to suggest the same thing, do you remember if you hit a bump in the road before it happened? Sometimes those cut off switches can be sensitive.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
So the starter tries to engage but the engine won't turn over?

Have you checked the battery voltage? There's a chance that there's a problem with your alternator/charging circuit and you've just discharged your battery while driving.

If the engine turns over but won't start, I agree with the above that you should reset the inertial switch (under the coolant reservoir).

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forgot to mention that.

I did check/reset the inertia switch.

Could be the alternator - however, if it was discharging the battery, I'd imagine that I wouldn't be getting anything - all of the electrical stuff works!

Car has been on the Batter Minder all night - I'll go try to start it in a bit.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Forgot to mention that.

I did check/reset the inertia switch.

Could be the alternator - however, if it was discharging the battery, I'd imagine that I wouldn't be getting anything - all of the electrical stuff works!

Car has been on the Batter Minder all night - I'll go try to start it in a bit.
If you hear the starter solenoid engage (clacking sound), but the engine won't turn over, it's very likely to be a discharged battery or loose electrical connection between the battery and the starter.

If the engine turns over freely but won't start, it's something else...

EDIT: Note that different electrical components have different tolerances to low voltages... some radios will play with very low voltages, others won't. Lights will work at lower voltages but may appear dim... so just because the electrical stuff seems to be working doesn't mean your battery voltage isn't low.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I'm going to suggest fuel delivery problem ... assuming the battery is turning over the car in a normal manner. Easy way to check fuel delivery issues is to pull the 4 spark plugs and coil paks and turn the motor over ... you should smell the fuel and/or see the piston tops getting sprayed with fuel.

If the Alternator fails it will drain the battery pretty quick. If the battery fails the car can run on the Alternator indefinitely (so long as the motor is running).

If the battery was drained, check the connections on the Alternator.

If it's electrical, I'd hate to have to see you sort your way thru this mess ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
It’s scheming to get to Stradale so it can at least spend time near a race track if it can’t be on one. Come on, give it up, cars have needs too...
;)
Best of luck tracking down the gremlins.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah - I called TJ from the roadside.

We tried to 'roadside triage' but no dice.

He said it could be any number of things. We all know that if anyone can fix it, he can. He's out of for a bit, but will get it over to him then.

Snowing balls today so no go for awhile anyway.

Went to try to check it out and same problem. Oh well.

However, will I was at it, I did the 'alarm remote antenna mod'. Huge difference and no sliced up hands!!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Start with the basics, air, fuel and spark. If the cars sits mice get into the air cleaners and build massive nests. It could be a nest in the air filter that shifted blocking air intake to the motor.
Check for spark, pull a plug, ground it and have a helper turn the car over. Make sure there is spark. I wouldn't subistute sticking something in the boot, some coils need resistance, that's the safest way to check without blowing an ECU unless you have a for real spark tester.
Next is fuel, connect a pressure gauge, if you don't have one try and listen for the fuel pump to run.

OF COURSE: Check all fuses first, think I remember reading something like this happening before and it was a blown fuse. The other question is if it is a blown fuse what caused it to blow? Don't be fooled by just "looking" at the fuse link, check it with a continuity meter found on a DVOM {Digital/Volts/Ohm/Meter} a British car owners best friend.

Robains could be on to something... when I installed a remote car starter back in the late '80's it came with the unit and a bag full of "Scotch Lock" wire connectors. The unit was to be installed connecting the wiring from the module to the OE harness using Scotch Lock wire connectors. These connectors should be avoided at all costs because the connecting blade inside the connector cuts through the fragile copper wire strands even though it has a "channel". I purchased a wire stripper from MAC Tools which will open the wire insulation leaving the copper wire intact. Then you can attach another wire to that without using the Scotch Lock. Solder the "parasite" wire and tape it over. At least if you need to test the connection just remove the tape. Less chance for failure and easy to test.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had some time to play with it.

Yep, blown fuse. R7 I believe. The ignition coil fuse.

Actually happened about a year ago. Kept extra fuses in the car (but no fuse tester). I had changed the fuse on the roadside.

Turns on the fuse I replaced it with was ALSO bad.

So, but in some new fuses I put in a new one. Turned right over.

$85 towing bill to uncover a 40 cent solution!

From now on, I keep a box of fuses/tester in my boot kit. As well as cologne, snake bite antedote, 17 condoms (size xxxxxl), an Enya CD and a roll of duct tape - just because.

:)

·
Premium Member
12,143 Posts
little point in carrying duct tape without the chloroform...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Any idea on how the fuse could have blown? If you didn't see anything obvious grounding out a coil terminal try calling LCU and ask them if there's a TSB {Technical Service Bulletin} on the problem.
If it were my car I would like to know the cause, if that fuse can just "pop" at any given time killing the car you could end up in an accident. -eek-

Replacing the blown fuse is just a Band-Aid until the problem is found. Get yourself a wire schematic and check every component on that line. Something somewhere is going to ground blowing that fuse.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep. Going to have TJ look at it to figure out why it's popping.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Had some time to play with it.

Yep, blown fuse. R7 I believe. The ignition coil fuse.

Actually happened about a year ago. Kept extra fuses in the car (but no fuse tester). I had changed the fuse on the roadside.

Turns on the fuse I replaced it with was ALSO bad.

So, but in some new fuses I put in a new one. Turned right over.

$85 towing bill to uncover a 40 cent solution!

From now on, I keep a box of fuses/tester in my boot kit. As well as cologne, snake bite antedote, 17 condoms (size xxxxxl), an Enya CD and a roll of duct tape - just because.

:)
+1
These cars seem to not be shy when it comes to popping these things. I just bought a box of 100 fuses, assorted sizes, should get me cross country i hope...of course if you are blowing fuses regularly, i would thing you would want to find out why?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I hope there is a TSB on this problem or the car is still under warranty because if it's going to the dealer it's all time and time is money. Intermittent electrical shorts are very hard to find especially when the car is working as it should.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts