The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the link working for others or not? Please tell me so I can try and fix it if it is not working.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
worked ok for me

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Buy the comic, read the article, flip 2 pages ahead, and read about "A sports car without compromises".
Blink a couple of times and ask yourself what makes the Audi S4 cabriolet a sports car.
Talk about being able to stay on task :rolleyes:
I guess they need to know what a sports car is.
m.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thegit said:
Buy the comic, read the article, flip 2 pages ahead, and read about "A sports car without compromises".
Blink a couple of times and ask yourself what makes the Audi S4 cabriolet a sports car.
Talk about being able to stay on task :rolleyes:
I guess they need to know what a sports car is.
m.
Yeah I saw that, but the Comparo was won buy the Elise and it is very flattering to the Elise. The Elise won them over despite its impractical nature. That says a lot about the Elise.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Just picked up my copy today. Hey they rated it #1 pick in the test. Not bad:)

On their Highs: " Mongoose reflexes, tenachious grip, plenty of squirt".

I donot like the word squirt when your describing my beloved Elise!!!

On their Lows: " Formidable interior noise, unforgiving ride quality, contorionistic ingress-egress".

Ok this car did have LSS with No comfort pack. I have never driven an Elise with LSS so I have no idea how it will ride in the everday world, but it seems to be on the hard side from what C&D writes. I do agree with C&D on one thing, the Elise is not the easiest car to get in and out of .

On their Verdict: " Marginal practicality, unbeatable fun to drive".

Who are they to say this car is not practical?:confused:
Ok if your married with children and it's your only car than I would agree. But, if your single and live in Southern Cal or any place where there is no snow, I'd say it could very well be a fun car to have everyday.
At least C&D got it right when they said "unbeatable fun to drive". I like those words;)

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
More scalps taken by the Elise.....Kudos.
Practicality is in the hands/life of the beholder. I think it is irrelevant when using a true sports car. Besides It won't be an only car unless you are fortunate in your location.

I'm currently fortunate to own a Birkin ala Caterham 7. You can still haul baggage for two on a weekend trip although mine is more biased towards track hooning than as supplied.
I believe the Elise will be more practical than a se7en, although the definition of practicality varies at the time you decide which car to drive.
One thing about the se7ens is that they appear dinky and cute to the unwitting onlooker. They remain cute unless they make the mistake of asking if the car is fast. Then they hate the little bugger afterwards.

I'm sure the Elise won't be that scary to your unwitting victi..er, passenger.
m.
ps, I thought is was nice that they tossed in the FF5. It indicated to me that the cars were selected by commitee, and the chooser of the FF5 might have erred in his choice of weapon.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
transio said:
What got my attention was the 4.4s 0-60 time!?

Can that be accurate? Thought LSS was rated at 4.7?
Apparently the time was obtained w/ a clutch drop at redline (I believe it was 6800rpm's)

The time is'nt repeatable w/o frequent clutch replacements.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
_JD_ said:
Apparently the time was obtained w/ a clutch drop at redline (I believe it was 6800rpm's)

The time is'nt repeatable w/o frequent clutch replacements.
JD, I agree I'm sure C&D sent the stock Elise Clutch to heaven that day.

They also got 13.2 in the 1/4 mile.

We did some drag strip tests with our 111R down in Australia and the best time we got out of it was a 13.8 , granted we did not have the Yoko A048's on the car since our car did not come with LSS. But, after that day at the drag strip we had to replace the clutch with a new one. It was toast.

Anyone that is going to seriously drag race this car is going to have to stock up on clutch's. This car does not like drag racing at all. If your going to do that you might as well buy a lift to make the clutch swaps a little faster and easier for yourself.

Personally I have no plans to drag race my Elise on the drag strip or the street. Sorry, but I'm really not into the Fast and the Furious :D

Mitch

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
hermanslotus said:
Personally I have no plans to drag race my Elise on the drag strip or the street. Sorry, but I'm really not into the Fast and the Furious :D
I don't see how mention of an impressive 0-60 figure implies intentions of drag racing. Nor do I see how it earns contemptful reproach as displayed here.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Well one tries to keep an open mind. Recently had several members of a Eff'n'Eff brigade descend at a local autox.
Redline launch, first to second, two feet in once they got to the corner... painful to watch.

Eff'n'Eff and drag racers are different philosophies though.

Anything that has the ability or is able to move from point a to point B with human manipulation indicates that some kind of competition is feasible.
m.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
transio said:
I don't see how mention of an impressive 0-60 figure implies intentions of drag racing. Nor do I see how it earns contemptful reproach as displayed here.
Steve, I think there was more humor than contempt.

The thing about a 0-60 time, though interesting, is mostly relevant to dragracers, legal and street. Because it involves so much of the launch will never be used on the track, autox, or spirited street driving. IMO, a 30-60mph figure is much more meaningful, but that is not the one tested and quoted all over the place.

In that regard, considering that a 4.4 second 0-60 requires an 8k+ rpm clutch drop, I think the number becomes less relevant and more fodder for bragging rights.

Except for those of us that will launch the car at legal events like I will in SCCA ProSolo.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
transio said:
Sorry Steve, but I was talking 1/4 mile times here. Where else in the world are you going to get an accurate 1/4 mile times than at the local drag strip?

I was only kidding around with my fast and furious comment. Lets face it our Elise is going to shine in the autocross and road race(track) worlds. That is where I intend to use it. If someone wants to drag race their Elise than more power to them.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
1 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
I kind of thought the choice of a Cobra replicar to be kind of strange, wouldve liked to see a boxster S, more of a comparison
Chris
The name of the article is "Extreme Sports". I imagine they chose that title because the Elise is, you know, extreme. The Boxster S is the antithesis of extreme. Including a car like the Factory Five Cobra replicar is perfectly appropriate for a comparo like this. I'm surprised Car and Driver had the guts and foresight to do it.

Is anybody else disappointed with the lap times the Elise turned? It's just barely quicker than the Honda S2000. I've heard of stock ordinary Porsche 911's that run under 1:05 at Beaverun. The Top Gear clips and the other chatter led me to believe the Elise can nearly keep up with 100k semi-exotics like the Porsche Turbo and GT3.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts