The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I especially Chris Rikli's comments about his concern for the reliability of this engine, the one in his grenaded after he went from third into second with the engine at redline (instead of fourth). THat must have been SOME show.
Hopes that not all Chris' are perceived as that stupid!;)

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
I especially Chris Rikli's comments about his concern for the reliability of this engine
Yeah, I can't believe the editors just let that letter run without some kind of editorial note to the effect of, "You are a complete and utter idiot."

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Yeah, but you can't blame that on the engine! As he was doing.
Chris:)
He wasn't blaming it on the engine. He was cautioning prospective Elise buyers to look into the history of the Celica GT-S drive train. The shifter in the early Celica GT-S was prone to that kind of missed shift. Toyota later modified the shifter to correct that. All that is moot since Lotus doesn't use the Toyota shift mechanism.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Didn't MW mention something about the early GTS tendencies to do that? And that it was fixed in the latere drive train?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
I especially Chris Rikli's comments about his concern for the reliability of this engine, the one in his grenaded after he went from third into second with the engine at redline (instead of fourth). THat must have been SOME show.
Hopes that not all Chris' are perceived as that stupid!;)
and one of the other bombs happened when it was reassembled improperly. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This guy and his situation might be a bad example. Does anyone out there know a lot about the 1.8 toyota engine? Toyota is known for reliability but they certainly aren't perfect. Is there a forum where this info might be available?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
A forum about the 2ZZ-GE motor? Well there are various Celica , Matrix, etc web sites that have lots of info on the lump. Most of the difficulties were in the early cars around 2000-2001. Some of the issue was downshift overrevving. Some trouble has also been seen in a thing called a "lift bolt" that is part of the VVTL-i system. Toyota wound up revising the part, our cars have the latest stuff. It's a very inexpensive part and some of the Celica guys throw in a new set every year or two. If they break the head can be fixed but this takes a long time. So folks tend to install new ones whenever they are under the valve cover. There is one intake and one exhaust Lift Bolt.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Hollywood said:
3 to 2 has happened to a lot of people
I talked to a guy who did it twice. Amazingly enough, they gave him a new engine under warranty both times.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
if i recall correctly toyota also modified the shifter after a number of those incidents. not sure if it cured the problem of ham fisted drivers though. i'll ask the service boys tomorrow when i have the spyder in for a little tlc

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's amazing what you find when you do a Google search for yourself. I knew that I was opening myself up to some pretty caustic commentary after admitting in such a public forum (Car/Driver) that I did something as stupid as hamfisting a 3/4 shift.

That said, ChrisB interpreted the intent of my letter correctly...I don't have the funds to afford an Elise, but I had so many troubles with the 2ZZ engine and knew of so many others that had the same problems that I was a little shocked when I read that the Elise was going to utilize that drivetrain. No way I'd buy the Elise with that motor in it.

Zvesday1, reread my letter...I most definitely was NOT trying to blame the engine. That was completely my fault, and I tried to make that clear in my letter. Poor design was a mitigating factor, but I was still the idiot who mised the shift gate. Nor was it the engine's fault when the goofballs in the shop didn't put it back together right.

Subtracting those two instances, that still leaves two times in 60K that the 2ZZ motor/tranny combination failed. As Stan correctly said, most of the problems the 2ZZ had were in the 2000/2001 series (last time I'll ever buy a first year car). Hope you guys enjoy your beautiful little cars, and I hope you don't have problems with them.

Chris Rikli

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks JD,

Heh...I now drive a 1996 Chyrsler Sebring LXi with shocks so bad that if I pump the brake pedal right, it bounces like it's got hydraulics. (Yes, I'm hard on cars. I think they're big toys. Sue me. ;))

The Celica was a leased car and what was left of it went back to Toyota last year. Some poor schmo probably bought it thinking they were getting a great deal; the car was pristine and I had all of the maintenance records, even oil changes. I'm sure the sales guy didn't point out the car's checkered past.

Are you an Elise owner? Man, I loved that motor...it had such a great personality. It's gotta rock in that chassis.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Not an owner yet- it's supposed to be being built now with delivery late next month. I really enjoyed the Toyota sound and character in the couple of demo drives I had.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
what does "ham-fisting" mean?

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Re: Americanisms

CDubYa said:
"Ham Fisting" = the opposite of "finesse":cool:
oic, thanks! I figured it meant that one would mash the gear in place.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts