The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm still getting used to my Elise, but it bothers me that the car really feels 'unsafe' at merely 100mph, i haven't dared to go past 110mph yet since it gives me this bad sensation of not being in control.

It's hard to explain what i feel, but it feels exactly like when you are riding a motorcycle and a gust of wind pushes you around. The steering gets twitchy and seems to try go get a life of it's own.

I checked the tire pressures just now while they were warm and they came up to something like

front:
28 left/26.5 right,
Rear
31 L/30.5 R rear

could that little difference in PSI cause such a big effect?, or maybe my wheels need balancing?.

Maybe something worse?, any ideas?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
i could have sworn i saw the same exact thread a couple months ago.

Check on that, maybe there is more insight in there.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
smells like alignment

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Did you do a two wheel, or a four wheel alignment? What is the condition of your bushings on your rear A-arms. Some of the models had a problem with the bushings squirming out (both sets of bushings pushed in from the same direction, instead of opposite direction). My 05 Elise is rock steady at 120 (closed track, children don't do this at home).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi Javiar, if you can bring the car by on Thursday or Friday and we'll give it a look over and go for a test drive. - Rob.

Hey guys,

I'm still getting used to my Elise, but it bothers me that the car really feels 'unsafe' at merely 100mph, i haven't dared to go past 110mph yet since it gives me this bad sensation of not being in control.

It's hard to explain what i feel, but it feels exactly like when you are riding a motorcycle and a gust of wind pushes you around. The steering gets twitchy and seems to try go get a life of it's own.

I checked the tire pressures just now while they were warm and they came up to something like

front:
28 left/26.5 right,
Rear
31 L/30.5 R rear

could that little difference in PSI cause such a big effect?, or maybe my wheels need balancing?.

Maybe something worse?, any ideas?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i could have sworn i saw the same exact thread a couple months ago.

Check on that, maybe there is more insight in there.
I assume you are talking about this thread:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/120mph-107807/index2.html

The car does not vibrate at all. It's like the steering fights me quite randomly. If you ever drove a bike on a highway it feels like when a 18 wheeler passes you by and a gust of wind blows you around.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked my service records and the tires were balanced only 5 months ago.

There are missing balancing weights, but since it's like a whole row missing and then there's another intact row somewhere else it looks as if they were removed intentionally and re-positioned somewhere else.

And the road was of course far from perfect. But other less sporty cars like my Z4 or a friends GTI will do 120 on these roads and it'll feel like 80 on my elise.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
I have the same problem, it will find any imperfection on the road and follow the road to go side way.

I guess, it may be the alignment, or the front tire has trouble.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I am glad Rob is going to try to get you in. I have faith he will zero in on the problem.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
When you had the alignment done, did you check the alignment report and compare it against the specification in the owner's manual?

The first time I had an alignment, I gave the technical a copy of the specifications. But, he instead used some set of values that was in the alignment machine's computer, which were totally wrong. I had to make them do it again.

Also, the alignment from the factory is often bad.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Best guess was that the former owner must have removed the front shims making the car twichy at straight line speeds (making front tire having less contact with the road but should take corners much better). Can't say for sure until you get the alignment report.

·
A1 Automotive & Smog
893 Posts
Where do you have it aligned?

Go back there and make sure the rear toe is around .25-.35 degree. For some reason the national database with Hunter and John Bean aligner is .70-.80 that's way too much toe.

I had the same problem before, and the same symptoms. But got it fixed after read the Lotus service manual.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
You could also just be getting used to the car. I also have a BMW and at 120mph it feels like nothing is happening. By contrast the Elise follows every rut in the road and gets blown around by the wind.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You could also just be getting used to the car. I also have a BMW and at 120mph it feels like nothing is happening. By contrast the Elise follows every rut in the road and gets blown around by the wind.
That's the thing i wonder, can an elise get blown around by the wind?, because that's precisely what i feel but thought it would be impossible.

The two times when i tried to get past 100mph it was windy and the road was a little moist. I have R888 tires.

I have driven a rental elise to 120mph and it didn't feel bad at all, but i was so euphoric that i might have missed something. This rental also had a front carbon fiber lip.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I think it's possible. When I drive on I-5 to Buttonwillow, I get this feeling sometimes at speeds well below 100mph. The car's steering feels quite sensitive at higher speeds compared to say 40mph.

But the car feels complete stable at the Buttonwillow racetrack itself going 110mph before braking for sunset.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
All things being equal - would a splitter help a street car with stability on the highway?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts