The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shrug:while waiting to get ok to pick-up car after 7wks of waiting for repairs to be completed-dealer called me to tell me someone backed into drivers side door, causing a small fracture in door-police notified & insurance company-[had oil lines replaced & brand new engine installed along with clutch rebuilt & new tires installed ]-gave dealer ok to call adjuster on mon. & and have dorr repaired- whether new door or just painted if fracture not through- now my question is this -should I ask for money for a devalued car from this minor accident in regards to resale value & if so how much [ $1k-$2k or whatever ] -should I ask dealer for a value on this - or just be happy to get fixed and move on ????

·
Registered
949 Posts
:shrug:while waiting to get ok to pick-up car after 7wks of waiting for repairs to be completed-dealer called me to tell me someone backed into drivers side door, causing a small fracture in door-police notified & insurance company-[had oil lines replaced & brand new engine installed along with clutch rebuilt & new tires installed ]-gave dealer ok to call adjuster on mon. & and have dorr repaired- whether new door or just painted if fracture not through- now my question is this -should I ask for money for a devalued car from this minor accident in regards to resale value & if so how much [ $1k-$2k or whatever ] -should I ask dealer for a value on this - or just be happy to get fixed and move on ????
If a police report hadn't been filed, I'd say just get it fixed and move on, but since there's a police report, it means it's going to go down permanently on the car's history (in Carfax) and it's going to be worth less if/when you go to sell it. Definitely ask for money for devaluation.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Is everyone here just broke or what? Once it's properly fixed it isn't worth any friggin less. If a future potential buyer wants a better deal on your car because of such a minor repair, tell him to f off and then RAISE the price a little. The Elige pool gets smaller every day and soon demand will surpass supply.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Where are you getting that from? My truck got hit a while back, $12k in damage and it's got a clean carfax.

I have bought stuff with recon titles that had a clean CarFax... it's hardly an accurate reporting system.

If a police report hadn't been filed, I'd say just get it fixed and move on, but since there's a police report, it means it's going to go down permanently on the car's history (in Carfax) and it's going to be worth less if/when you go to sell it. Definitely ask for money for devaluation.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Where are you getting that from? My truck got hit a while back, $12k in damage and it's got a clean carfax.

I have bought stuff with recon titles that had a clean CarFax... it's hardly an accurate reporting system.
It's possible that it varies by the state, and of course I agree that Carfax is hardly accurate (I know of many cars with issues that aren't reported by Carfax), but it's my understanding that if a police report is filed, it makes it to Carfax. Whether it's on Carfax or not, you'll still need to disclose it to a potential buyer and they'll have far more negotiating power because of it (if you haven't already listed it lower to start with).

Is everyone here just broke or what? Once it's properly fixed it isn't worth any friggin less. If a future potential buyer wants a better deal on your car because of such a minor repair, tell him to f off and then RAISE the price a little. The Elige pool gets smaller every day and soon demand will surpass supply.
Are you kidding? You think people value a car that's been hit and repaired just as high as a car that's never been in an accident? If anything, it's -especially- true of exotic cars you should ask for compensation for devaluation when it's been in an accident. If your attitude is to raise your price when someone doesn't want to buy your car, then you're going to end up not selling your car. It's nice when you can afford to have that attitude, but if you're selling it because you need the money, then it's probably the most idiotic attitude you could possibly take.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If the dealership replaces the door then its new different story new verses fixed. I would try to get some special deal like a free m62 installed over free money. It may be easier than asking for money or another idea is an extended warranty with free maintenance for a few years. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
compensation ?

the details I received are that as tech was parking my car in back of their shop a driver that shares the parking area was backing their car up and hit my car - AN M62 installed would seem too much unless you were simply kidding, suggestions on approach of compensation for this is what searching for - I want to be reasonable - I'm really pissed though - been waiting for nearly 2months for car & now will be waiting for, I don't know, longer now, & an accident on car that will certainly lower value

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If there were anyone with a similar occurance, while their car was being repaired at a dealership, I don't want to be crazy,but want something to get this bad taste out of my mouth, because whether door is replaced or not, I'm out, insurance co. will always do minumum, there must be something a dealer could do that isn't going to cost them that much but would benefit me "to make me HAPPY" because I'm not -fighting with a ins. co. for $ for devaluation costs seems frugal- maybe a full front end alignment, a couple of oil changes maybe - I don't have a car-shield on car would that seem reasonable-I don't really want to hear "just be happy in getting car fixed " because that is the minumum I would get no matter where this happened if I had posession of car - please give me some reasonable suggestions

·
Registered
983 Posts
Are you kidding? You think people value a car that's been hit and repaired just as high as a car that's never been in an accident?.
Agreed. Unless I'm buying a $500 beater there's no way I'm paying equivalent value for a car that has been repaired versus one that is pristine. Everyone I know would just as soon pass on a car that has been in an accident and look for a clean one - especially when you are talking about enthusiast cars.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not looking to sell car -I truly love my car- I've never enjoyed driving a car so much in my life & I'm 56yrs old - don't even know what ins. adjuster will suggest till monday - whether they will say replace door or not regardless if a fracture is in door & use a filler in fiberglass & repaint & now its hidden ,cant see it , but its not as it was, and i'm the one certainly inconvienced no doubt

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
First off I want to say I am very sorry to hear of the unfortunate incident! My exes chevy was ran into a wall backing it off a lift from a brake job. Unfortunately there was a saleman between her car and the wall and broke both his legs. The dealer did exactly what you are afraid of. Bare minimum! And an extremely poor job at that! In this case you are now entitled to a rental car for the duration of the repairs and you do have the right to say no to unacceptable repairs. See what they offer on manday. If the approach to repairs is not up to your standards invlove your own insurance company. You have the right to decent reperation on the car. As far as diminished value, if you honestly feel the car will have less value due to the repairs talk to them about it. You do not have to take first offer, but they can extend repair time until a mutual agreement can be made.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry for ex's car & salesman's legs which sounds horrible-your approach seems wise I think & prudent - I didn't take advantage of rental while lotus was doing repairs which sure I could have, but didn't need transportation since I have other cars & truck, which would be in this case also,not looking to be frevolous - just want to be made whole in this perticular situation & I don't think I'm being unfair, and I wanted to know the best way to procede with a mutual solution between the dealer, the ins. co. and myself [satisfactorily ] - no more, no less

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
that really sucks man..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but long as this is not reported to DMV there won't be any carfax data.. now whether or not you want to withhold this incident from future buyers may be your prerogative.

The fact that the car has previously been in an accident is taken very seriously by most buyers. For popular cars, most buyers won't even care to look at a car that's been in a previous accident. It's a risk mitigation. More often then not, sellers downplay the "incident". I don't trust most people and why worry about it when there's plenty of other cars out there for sale.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
squid

I agree with your opinion- and I don't live my life that way - enjoy being honest & forthright not having guilt of lying & being dishonest - which is why I would not be a very wealthy used car salesman [not that all are ]

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
that really sucks man..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but long as this is not reported to DMV there won't be any carfax data.. now whether or not you want to withhold this incident from future buyers may be your prerogative.

The fact that the car has previously been in an accident is taken very seriously by most buyers. For popular cars, most buyers won't even care to look at a car that's been in a previous accident. It's a risk mitigation. More often then not, sellers downplay the "incident". I don't trust most people and why worry about it when there's plenty of other cars out there for sale.

I had a Mercedes get keyed number to bumper. I too, didn't want it to show up on carfax, so I paid out of pocket to avoid a claim. I was unsure of my ability to find a capable body shop, so I took it to the dealer which had their own body shop on site. I explained to them that I was paying myself to avoid a carfax record and they said no problem. A few years later, I tried to sell the car and low and behold, it showed up on the report. I ended up having to reduce the price even more than I paid for the original repair in order to sell it.

·
Anthony
604 Posts
Unfortunately, in addition to information recorded at dealerships, certain shops, etc. -- police reports in many states do make it onto Carfax. In California, it will look like this in the "Details" section of a Carfax:

Date of incident -- California Police Report Reference # XXXXXXXXXXX -- Accident reported (and sometimes other details such as "Involving front or rear impact with another motor vehicle")
At the bottom of the Carfax in the "Glossary" section, you will find the following:

California Police Reports:
- Do not include an assessment of damage severity
- Are required if the estimated damage exceeds $500
- Are released to CARFAX approximately 6 months after the accident date.
For the record, I have no experience involving accidents/police reports outside of California and any direction I give to those out-of-state should be relied upon only as general guidance and not expert advice.

What I would likely do if I were the OP is triple-check that a police report was in fact filed. Then, find out if NJ (I'm assuming we're talking about NJ) police reports are reported to Carfax. If so, you would want to make a diminished value claim. A good description of what to do is on this page: Diminished Value Claim

With all due respect to opinions on the subject -- and people are of course entitled to any opinion they like -- the fact is, as squidward and MotoGeek would attest to, a previous accident on a vehicle (especially high-end/exotic cars) makes it:

a) Harder to sell the car. People don't care what explanation you have of the accident; many of your potential buyers will pass over your car. It can be a minor parking lot incident or minor vandalism (I have been involved in both cases, and yes, I was the innocent party lol) and if there's a police report, it hits the Carfax and the car is forever impacted.
b) Worth less money. Plenty of cars out there with a clean Carfax. Why pay the same for one that's been in an accident.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
vao4v

thank you for this info - I went to the web site you gave & it was very informative- & monday I will request a diminished value claim -it seems very reasonable - maybe they will at the least make a sm offer in this case with the dealers help - though I'm sure they will want to reject it first

·
Registered
708 Posts
I hope your dealer comes through with an offer that makes you happy.

People do consider accidents. I was out this weekend looking at Aston Martins. After looking at one, I went inside to look over the paperwork. The car had been in an accident at one point. To me.....spending that much on a car.....I disqualified the car, regardless of the price. This is why any repair work depreciates a car's value. There are buyers (me) who won't consider a repaired car, thus the pool of buyers is somewhat smaller.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts