The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm having an issue with my car where the rev limit is lowered to around 5500 RPMs and fuel cut is around 6500 RPMs, the car is throwing an over retard code and a VVL code. The car is an 05 Elise with a Katana MP62 S/C and CharlieX tune. So far I have: disconnected the battery for about an hour (didn't fix it), checked all fuses with a multi meter (all were good), pulled the valve cover and inspected the cams (they look perfect), looked for blatant wiring issues (none), and had the ECU reset with a scan3 tool. The problem still persists despite all of this. I'm working with VSA Motorsports to try and get this sorted. They are thinking that it's either a wiring harness issue or a faulty intake VVT sprocket/gear (this thing: Toyota OEM Intake VVT Sprocket 1ZZ, 2ZZ - TOY-13050-22012 van Toyota OEM - Monkeywrench Racing -). Has anyone else experienced the same or similar issues, and what was the resolution? Thanks:(

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Check the plug on the vvt valve.
On my original installation I had a poor installation of the plug on the controller and the symptoms were similar.
Redid the plug and all was ok.
Good luck, sam

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yeah, we did that too. We also checked the wiring on it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Happened to another Elise around here and it was that sprocket. Fairly easy to tell, open it up and the locking pin will be jammed, or where the pin hits the cover will be gouged.

Or just have it replaced and be done with it :)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did that car have similar symptoms to what I'm seeing?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I discussed this further with VSA today and they are confident that it's intake VVT sprocket/gear, so we are going to go ahead and replace it.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So I picked the car up from VSA today, they went ahead and replaced the intake VVT sprocket/gear. The car ran awesome, drove it about 30 miles, good as new. I just ran out to the gym and the CEL came on again and the car is back in limp mode. F$%K!!! Sooo frusterated!:wallbang::wallbang::wallbang: Back to the drawing boards, anyone have any other ideas??? It's kind of weird that by replacing that part, the issue resolved for a bit then came back. Could the new VVT gear be bad? It was a brand new OEM part, so I think it would be unlikely. I'm praying that maybe a simple ECU reset will resolve the issue.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Check the ends of the rocker shaft...There is a plug in each end to keep oil in the rocker shaft as it actuates the VVL. If the plug comes out the oil pressure in the rocker shaft will not support the cam change due to the low pressure and can cause the RPM drop. I had this happen but as I do not have the Lotus dash anymore I do not know if it would have generated a code...

It is easy to check with the valve cover off. Just get a short piece of stiff wirre and try to insert it into the end of the rocker shaft at the end on the gear side. If the wire slides into the rocker its done...I had mine tapped and installed a threaded alien plug in red lock tight...The OEM plugs are like a freeze plug and not to good...

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
I still think it is the plug on the vvt oil control sensor. get battery terminal cleaner.

Also just un plug it and see if you still get the same code or a new one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts