The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dead battery maybe but shouldn't there still be some sign of life? I've had no battery issues and the last time the car was out it was getting warranty work for replacing the AC/Heater housing unit.

Anyway... the car has been sitting for the last week in the garage. I go to start it and notice that it is 99% lifeless. The ONLY thing that shows signs of life is if you turn the dome light on and it is very dim. Everything else produces nothing. No illumination anywhere in the car. Do locks won't activate (luckily the car wasn't locked), no cap gas cap, no trunk, no mirrors, no horn, nothing. Everything is completely lifeless. It's not possible for me to have left anything on since the headlights are auto and everything else turns off when you take the key out.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Get that trunk open if you have any juice left at all! Give it a nice full charge. Ensure that dome light is off (my kids burned me on this one). See where you sit in 24 hours. Seems strange tho. Especially since someone just had their fingers into it. A week or even 2 should be just fine in my experience. Maybe old dying battery??

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing is that there was no signs of a dying battery at all. I've never had any issues. The dome light is always switched completely off so it never even came on when I opened the doors. I had it like that because I preferred only the dim lighting of the Premium Pack lights. So it's a mystery to me how this could have happened. There is no juice left so I don't even know how I'm going to get the trunk open.

·
Registered
7,240 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
At the dealership I purchased my car they remove the stock battery on delivery and replace them with Interstate Batteries.
I still use a battery tender, but all good for the so far in the first 2 years.
Dealer told me it just easier to replace them at the dealer then send a tow out to pick you up and then replace.
What kind of battery does lotus use anyway?:shrug: Lucas?:facepalm

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
I'd heard so much bad stuff about the OEM Varta battery that I just immediately replaced it when the problam appeared. 4 or 5 days later when the new battery went flat I put a charger on the Varta, which came round just fine.

So even though I have not yet found it I'm thinking there must be some sort of significant quiescent drain.

Our warranty also went flat about a month before this. Otherwise the car has been flawless for three years.

I guess it's just time for me to learn something more about electricity.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
At the dealership I purchased my car they remove the stock battery on delivery and replace them with Interstate Batteries.
did the exact same thing - dealor was happy to give me the new Interstate

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ill see what the dealer wants to do on Monday.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
A 125 battery after 3 years is pretty cheap. If it was a Varta, you're lucky it lasted that long

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
My original Varta was replaced last month after the case developed a crack and started leaking. :facepalm
Luckily, it was caught in time and my battery tray only had to be cleaned and painted. :clap: I always have it on a tender and it was still holding a charge.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Truck latch failing to engage drained my battery

Dead battery maybe but shouldn't there still be some sign of life? I've had no battery issues and the last time the car was out it was getting warranty work for replacing the AC/Heater housing unit.

Anyway... the car has been sitting for the last week in the garage. I go to start it and notice that it is 99% lifeless. The ONLY thing that shows signs of life is if you turn the dome light on and it is very dim. Everything else produces nothing. No illumination anywhere in the car. Do locks won't activate (luckily the car wasn't locked), no cap gas cap, no trunk, no mirrors, no horn, nothing. Everything is completely lifeless. It's not possible for me to have left anything on since the headlights are auto and everything else turns off when you take the key out.

Thoughts??
I bought my Evora in Sept 2013, first weekend I had it-also DEAD. Did a little check on possible causes and found the trunk latch was not adjusted properly and did not engage when trunk was closed. I could still open the trunk after closing it without hitting the unlock. This allowed the trunk lights to stay on and kill my battery. I simply adjusted the latch a half inch or so and haven't had a problem since. The car has otherwise been fantastic as DD, at autox and track. Hope your trouble can be as easily addressed.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I bought my Evora in Sept 2013,.................... and haven't had a problem since. The car has otherwise been fantastic as DD, at autox and track. Hope your trouble can be as easily addressed.
we need more testimonials along this line & the car sales will sprout wings imo.

i had mine for about a month and not a problem, nothing wrong and just fun driving on every daily drive to work.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
According to the dealer here, the battery isn't under warranty...

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
You can go to any auto parts store and fix your battery issues in an hour. Dealer will just give you another archaic wet cell battery. Upgrade to a dry cell . Plenty of posts here to guide you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts