The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm considering one of the mid rise lifts for the Evora, but what is preventing me from pulling the trigger is do the lift pads reach the lift points? It seems that it would either be too, wide, narrow, long or short, since the font lift points are in a different orientation than the rears.
Rear pads are easy, the front ones are definitely in a difficult place. My midrise reaches them if I point the arms far forward, I'm not sure if it's an approved position for the lift but it has been working fine for a couple years, and most of the weight is being handled by the rear.

Rear/mid engine cars make me nervous on two post and mid rise lifts given the unusual weight distribution. Might be best to reverse them on to the lift?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Rear pads are easy, the front ones are definitely in a difficult place. My midrise reaches them if I point the arms far forward, I'm not sure if it's an approved position for the lift but it has been working fine for a couple years, and most of the weight is being handled by the rear.

Rear/mid engine cars make me nervous on two post and mid rise lifts given the unusual weight distribution. Might be best to reverse them on to the lift?
I haven't had any issues with the two posts I've used, both symmetrical and asymmetrical lift arms. The problem with the MaxJax, is the arms are too thick and require using a piece of wood to raise the front end, and the arms are a bit short so if you're too far forward or off to one side, they won't reach. The asymmetrical arm two posts seem to be pretty stable, since my buddy's is 10k or 12klbs rated. I would like one that takes up less space than either MaxJax or a two post, so I was considering the midrise.

Anyway, thanks for your input!

·
Registered
174 Posts
The problem with the MaxJax, is the arms are too thick and require using a piece of wood to raise the front end, and the arms are a bit short so if you're too far forward or off to one side, they won't reach.
Can you elaborate on what you mean? What do you mean by using a piece of wood to raise the front end? The minimum jack pad height for the maxjax is only 3.5 inches, and the Lotus has 5.5-6 inches in both front and back.

The MaxJax is portable, so could you just drill two different sets of holes, different widths apart? That way, you can have the posts a certain width apart for the Lotus, and then a different width apart for another car. This is what I plan to do, as one of my cars is a Raptor which is very wide.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Can you elaborate on what you mean? What do you mean by using a piece of wood to raise the front end? The minimum jack pad height for the maxjax is only 3.5 inches, and the Lotus has 5.5-6 inches in both front and back.

The MaxJax is portable, so could you just drill two different sets of holes, different widths apart? That way, you can have the posts a certain width apart for the Lotus, and then a different width apart for another car. This is what I plan to do, as one of my cars is a Raptor which is very wide.
We had to drill two different sets of holes, one specifically for "Lotus Mode", the other for every other car. and even though the claimed height of both should be compatible, I have to put 1" boards under the front tires to get enough clearance for the pads and that's with the arms scraping the ground. The next issue is that the arms don't telescope as much as a normal two post lift (for obvious reasons), so if I'm 2-3" off center or 1-2" too far forward one of the arms won't reach. This requires me to remove all the arms, back out, re-position the wood ramps, then try again (first world problems, I know). Just use larger pieces of wood right? Not exactly, if the pieces are too long or wide, then they prevent the arms from being at the right angle to hit the pads.

Completely unrelated to the arm issue, is that the MaxJax sides don't lift evenly. I have two friends with a set, and both will have one side that lags the other, which is unnerving when you're car is 4~ feet off the ground. It doesn't matter what car, the weight distribution, placement, etc, it's always the same side that is slow.

I love the concept of MaxJax, but having used them a bunch, I'd rather use the mid-rise lift.

·
Registered
174 Posts
We had to drill two different sets of holes, one specifically for "Lotus Mode", the other for every other car. and even though the claimed height of both should be compatible, I have to put 1" boards under the front tires to get enough clearance for the pads and that's with the arms scraping the ground. The next issue is that the arms don't telescope as much as a normal two post lift (for obvious reasons), so if I'm 2-3" off center or 1-2" too far forward one of the arms won't reach. This requires me to remove all the arms, back out, re-position the wood ramps, then try again (first world problems, I know). Just use larger pieces of wood right? Not exactly, if the pieces are too long or wide, then they prevent the arms from being at the right angle to hit the pads.

Completely unrelated to the arm issue, is that the MaxJax sides don't lift evenly. I have two friends with a set, and both will have one side that lags the other, which is unnerving when you're car is 4~ feet off the ground. It doesn't matter what car, the weight distribution, placement, etc, it's always the same side that is slow.

I love the concept of MaxJax, but having used them a bunch, I'd rather use the mid-rise lift.
I see, thanks for the info, very helpful. I have maxjax sitting in the crate that it was delivered in, and plan to tackle the install in the next week or two. So this info is useful to know.

Where in DFW are you? Im in Southlake.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have 2 6000lbs scissor lifts that work great and are sorta easy to move around the shop. I just bought 5000lbs QuickJacks for mobile and trackside use. They are so easy to use and work perfectly. Why didn't I find these 20 years ago? Couldn't resist trying them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a Bendpak HD-7W, I store the Lotus on it or below, depending on what I'm doing. The hydraulic locks are a bit annoying but not terrible, I just run my hose over and connect it when needed and that's it. I also have the bottle jack on it so a compressor isn't needed, you just lift the car up a bit and the bottle fills, then it has enough pressure to release the locks.

I have the regular ramps and the car has no trouble getting up it. I don't know if the Evora 400 is lower, but I typically back the car onto the lift.

·
Registered
174 Posts
OK, we installed the lift and did a test fit/lift up. Seems to work ok so far, though tomorrow is the real test when I lift the car up for an oil change.

Just for reference to anyone considering maxjax, we have the posts 116 inches apart from each other. With all four arms extended halfway, I have solid contact on the jack pads. Surprisingly, the 116 inches also works for my Gen 2 Ford Raptor so it saves me having to move one post outward for the truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Did you put the studs into wet concrete or drill the concrete for the studs? I guess was it new or old construction?

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Just stay away from this one...

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Thanks all for your input... I went with Advantage and it was installed this week.

Admittedly, I walked up in price a bit than planned but the build quality is the best I saw and the aesthetics were nice too.

Future buyers of any lift beware that the release bar need several feet of clearance during assembly... you need that in the footprint to know what fits also.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks all for your input... I went with Advantage and it was installed this week.

Admittedly, I walked up in price a bit than planned but the build quality is the best I saw and the aesthetics were nice too.

Future buyers of any lift beware that the release bar need several feet of clearance during assembly... you need that in the footprint to know what fits also.
Nice job, great setup.

Nice W204 as well, I had one and miss it. The M156 is one for the ages.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Nice W204 as well, I had one and miss it. The M156 is one for the ages.
Yup, it’s 200 miles away from crossing 100k. I also had the headbolts replaced in summer... I plan to daily this til one of us dies. 6+ liter Exhaust note a low growl beast and a nice complement to the Evora for weekends and track days.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts