The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just passing a few moments waiting for the Elise...recognizing a great car:

I custom-ordered my C5 Corvette convertible and it was delivered with 6 miles on the odometer on September 2nd, 1998. This last weekend I drove it from Omaha to Kansas City and back (to watch the A's sweep the Royals) and the odometer clicked over 50,000 miles. On the drive home, with a great tailwind, the Vette averaged 34.2 mpg...including wasting some gas showing off a bit for a bling'd out Probe that came alongside. Coming up on six years old, it still looks new and regularly yields thumbs up, broad smiles and "car cat calls" every time it's driven.

In six years...the problems have been few...a bad speaker, a bad switch on the drivers-side door...nothing else major I can recollect. It drives great, looks great, and there are no large compromises...power, room, style, and gas mileage. When I bought the Vette, there wasn't much else out there. The Z3 was new and the Miata great, but underpowered. The Boxster was available, but a poor value in comparison. I definitely made the right choice for that model year.

When I pulled into the garage yesterday, I was thankful for reaching the 50,000-mile mark with such ease...the Vette has taken me from Florida to Washington...on the Pacific Coast Highway from Washington to San Diego...with all that could be hoped for from a car.

I look forward to the Elise experience...and am still wondering if I can justify/afford two blue convertible sports cars in the garage...who knows my Elise may have a "big brother". Thank you, Corvette.

Dave

I'd enjoy hearing others' stories of "car recognition"...it seems therapeutic...and passes a few minutes of "the wait."

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'll give two thumbs up to my 2001 MR2 Spyder. I've had it for a year, and only put about 5k miles on it, but it's been a great little car. Toyota reliability and craftsmanship, and handles like a street legal go-kart.

I only have 2 pet peeves. First, the paint is VERY thin. I hope the Elise isn't the same way. 2nd, all my friends call it the 'Barbie car.' I KNOW the Elise won't be the same way!

I'll be sad to let it go, and spend another $30k to upgrade to the Lotus. But that's what life is all about.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I'll chime in with a vote which will likely lead to a heck of a lot of flack but here it goes. I still love my first car (1984 Isuzu Impulse) but I think we all harbor a special place for our first cars. But more recently I have really come to enjoy the ownership of my, and don't everyone hit me, Ford Expedition. It's a 1998 with 76k and frankly it's been the most reliable car I've ever owned. It's been better than my Audi's, BMW's Nissan's, It's simply bullet proof. I have 5, yes 5 kids and I needed something that could tote them all and more importantly put 3 car seats across in the middle row. Minivans couldn't do it, only SUV's. I also am involved with construction (architect/land development) and didn't mind having the ability to go on job sites or handle moderate loading. I can tow my current Lotus with it, no problem. It's comfortable for trips and once you get used to it, not too bad to even drive around town. Oh, bad weather.....it doesn;t exist. I get a kick out of my neighbor and his Jeep Grand Cherokee which he can't get out of his parking space of a plow comes by while I simply pull out of mine. I have also been able to drive Doctors and Nurses to the Hospital in blizzards which was sort of rewarding. I have also taken it in water up to the rub strip on the doors. Scary (it started to float with the current) but it made it through. No stalling, no leaking.

Now what drives me nuts. I've replaced 2 axels for no reason anyone can figure out (both under warranty). It gets about 10mpg around town and at over $2 per gallon it's getting a bit unnerving at fill-up time. Lastly, I can't park the damn thing in a lot of garages.

With all that said, I would buy another. Hopefully I can keep her together for about another 3 years and get myself a Range Rover instead.

I also loved my 1990 Thunderbird SC, but that's another story.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Moved to Southern California in 1987. Immediately recognized the need to own a convertible. Fortunately Mazda brought out the Miata in 1989. Waited about six months for the price gouging to settle down and purchased one in December 1989. Nearly 15 years later, it's got 343,000 miles on it. I did replace the engine, but other than that, it's held up very well.

Although the car may be a bit underpowered, it has been a pleasure to drive. The handling and responsiveness is great and makes you feel like you are going really fast, even if you aren't. Of course straight line acceleration isn't impressive, but that hasn't bothered me much.

Despite the modest sized trunk (particularly when the donut spare is in place), my wife and I have taken the car on weekend and 7-day trips to San Diego, Las Vegas, Carmel and San Francisco. It's been fun and I've received many compliments from people who seem to love the look of the car.

·
Registered
687 Posts
wallabyguy said:
[...]
But more recently I have really come to enjoy the ownership of my, and don't everyone hit me, Ford Expedition. It's a 1998 with 76k and frankly it's been the most reliable car I've ever owned. It's been better than my Audi's, BMW's Nissan's, It's simply bullet proof.
[...]
Now what drives me nuts. I've replaced 2 axels for no reason anyone can figure out (both under warranty).
[...]
:confused:
I thought bullet proof meant you never had to bring the car into the shop except for scheduled maintenance... like my Miata :).

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jml1952 said:
Nearly 15 years later, it's got 343,000 miles on it. I did replace the engine, but other than that, it's held up very well.
Wow...343K! You should contact Mazda about a commercial. I agree...having owned two Miata's...a 90 and a 96...the Miata is an exceptional car. Congrats on all those miles...someday I hope to own a car long enough to make it into 6 figures...

Dave

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wallabyguy said:
But more recently I have really come to enjoy the ownership of my, and don't everyone hit me, Ford Expedition. It's a 1998 with 76k and frankly it's been the most reliable car I've ever owned. It's been better than my Audi's, BMW's Nissan's, It's simply bullet proof.
Pretty cool to rate a Ford above an Audi, BMW and Nissan...

The first new car I ever bought was a Ford Festiva, and it ran like a top...and I still see them on the road 15 years later.

I've noticed we're ordering the exact same options on our Elise (except since I haven't even got my order in to the factory yet I'll get to add the late-year performance upgrades). ;) You must have awesome taste!

Dave

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Dan said:
:confused:
I thought bullet proof meant you never had to bring the car into the shop except for scheduled maintenance... like my Miata :).
'

Dan I don't doubt the reliability on the Miata. they really are great cars and if the Elise weren't coming here, I'd probably be getting one. All the axel work occured during "routine maintence" checks and had no impact on the ownership of the car since the repairs were covered. It's a problem and now that the Expedition is out of warrenty, I'm getting nervious.

·
Registered
157 Posts
wallabyguy said:
But more recently I have really come to enjoy the ownership of my, and don't everyone hit me, Ford Expedition.

With all that said, I would buy another. Hopefully I can keep her together for about another 3 years and get myself a Range Rover instead.

I had the exact experience with my '96 GMC suburban. Very reliable, powerful. and hauling my six kids (one upped you). Recently, we replaced it with the smaller, '03 GMC Envoy. The smaller size handles better, much better milage (18-20 mpg), and still tows well, and hauls us around. I think you'll be disappointed in the Range Rover in price, value, and reliability since your experience with the Expedition. Stay domestic, but down size.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts